Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks for beating Swindon

BCFC Says No to Falmer

Parish Council NIMBYs
May 21, 2004
Bristol
Lammy said:
Falmer is the ONLY viable site in Brighton. (And that's on the outskirts)

The council is behind the ground. They voted 11-1 in favour.

The process is being held up by a load of NIMBY's that seem to forget that the area is not that beautiful anymore as it has TWO universitys there and ruddy great dual carrageway splitting the village in two!

We've had the same scenario for our last two applications (Hengrove 32,000 local rejected it and 40,000 Severside, locals and fans rejected it)

I can understand why people don't want a stadium near them, especially in a location out of town like Falmer sounds like it is.

BCFC Says No to Falmer said:
Well we've had lots of stadium plans turned down - You're not the only ones with a nightmare council! Why is it so special for you? To play Devils advocate for a second, the general perception outside the footballing world will be that it's the clubs fault you are where you are (In the very harsh cold light of day). Why should the taxpayer have to foot the bill for your lengthy appeal?

If you look at my initial post I DID come here to wind you guys up - The username reflects that :lolol:

What was the Goldstone like? I never went there
Why don't you fvck off and die you in-bred kunt:tosser:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
s.stubbs said:
Why don't you fvck off and die you in-bred kunt:tosser:

That's constructive! Also a great way of winning over support of someone who is simply asking valid questions and expressing views that he probably shares with a lot of other people.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BCFC Says No to Falmer said:
We've had the same scenario for our last two applications (Hengrove 32,000 local rejected it and 40,000 Severside, locals and fans rejected it)

I can understand why people don't want a stadium near them, especially in a location out of town like Falmer sounds like it is.

Bristol is massive! There must be loads of potential sites that are not greenfield and do piss off local residents. people forget that Stadiums are only used every other week for 9 months of the year. Shopping centres offer round the clock traffic and noise!

BCFC Says No to Falmer

Parish Council NIMBYs
May 21, 2004
Bristol
Lammy said:
Bristol is massive! There must be loads of potential sites that are not greenfield and do piss off local residents. people forget that Stadiums are only used every other week for 9 months of the year. Shopping centres offer round the clock traffic and noise!

Bristol Itself isn't very big, around 400,000 in 98 I think. It goes up to 1,000,000 when include all the towns we've eaten up over the years. The problem is there ARE no sites really. Every bit of "Bristol" is taken up, the roads aren't good enough or it's residential.

There's also the matter of having two clubs. Traditionally City are from south of the River, and Rovers to the North of it so most fans would like City to play in the South.

Add the anti-sport council factor and you have a no win situation. Besides, Ashton can be built on to a reasonable size. The directors wanted a move because it would be cheaper.

Ironically in the economic climate that we have most clubs can affored to finance a move, but are unable to find space. If we entered a recession then the space would be available but no money!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You see, you can discuss it reasonably! No one is saying Falmer is the perfect site - it isn't. But is easily the best available. Don't forget we're hemmed in by the sea on one side and the South Downs (soon to become a national park) on the other. There is no brownfield legacy of heavy industry so we have to build on the outskirts (which as I'm sure you know other clubs have done, Southampton for one).

As well as the majority of local people the Council and the local MPs are in favor. If it hadn't been for the actions of a tiny rural elite the scheme would never have had to go to a Public Enquiry in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here