Text or Texted

Text or Texted?

• Total voters

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
"texted" makes you sound like a wally.

"I texted you yesterday I did, then I runned to your house."

"I text you yesterday" just sounds better.

LOL... I love the way you are wrong about virtually everything you post!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Wouldn't it be more accurate to make that comparison:

"I texted you yesterday I did, then I runned to your house"
or
"I text you yesterday I do, then I run to your house"

If you're going to add a grammatically incorrect extension to one version, you have to add it to both.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Lord Percy: I like you young Bob [slaps Bob on the shoulder] you've got balls!

Blackadder_2_bob.jpg

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

No it doesn't. Your sentence should read: "I texted you yesterday and then ran to your house.". Unsure you need the "I did"

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
Personally think both are acceptable.
I'll generally use "text", mainly because i think it sounds better.

I think people get too hung up on language. The English language is always changing and there's nothing anyone can do to change it. Let's face it, Shakespeare would disagree if he heard the way people were talking in the 60's... same as those from the 60's would disagree with the way people speak today.

p.s.
I lost all faith with grammar when my teacher at school failed to explain how 'sheep' can be both a singular and plural! :(

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I would say Texted personally.

Much more bewildering than this though is the plural. I know it seems a bit awkward to say 'Texts' as you get a kind of involuntary double 's' like a percussive shaker on the end of it, but I still don't get how nearly everyone I hear says 'Texiz' as the plural.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Personally think both are acceptable.
I'll generally use "text", mainly because i think it sounds better.

I think people get too hung up on language. The English language is always changing and there's nothing anyone can do to change it. Let's face it, Shakespeare would disagree if he heard the way people were talking in the 60's... same as those from the 60's would disagree with the way people speak today.

p.s.
I lost all faith with grammar when my teacher at school failed to explain how 'sheep' can be both a singular and plural! :(
I disagree with your conclusion but I totally agree with your analysis. Language DOES evolve, whether one likes it or not; indeed the use of the word 'text' as a verb is a relatively new development, however to me, "I text you yesterday" just sounds so wrong.

Maybe what we need is a new word for the past tense of the verb 'to text'? After all it doesn't have to be 'texted', which I agree as a word is a bit clumsy. As has been pointed out it's 'ran' not 'runned'. Also I was 'sent' a text yesterday, not 'sended' a text. How about 'tuxt'? Do you think that'll catch on?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
People aren't actually saying "I text" in the past, though - it's just that the -ed suffix isn't stressed and gets lost, so it ends up getting written as "text". Like "Would have" ends up being written as "would of" ... it's the pronunciation being reproduced in writing.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People aren't actually saying "I text" in the past, though - it's just that the -ed suffix isn't stressed and gets lost, so it ends up getting written as "text". Like "Would have" ends up being written as "would of" ... it's the pronunciation being reproduced in writing.
That's a possibility. So the 'ed' sort of gets 'swallowed' like a glottal stop, or the way Mainwaring is pronounced 'Mannering' in Dad's Army. In other words you may SAY it as "I text you yesterday", but you should WRITE it as "I texted you yesterday". However the less well-educated will write "I text you yesterday", in the same way as they write "would of" or "should of".

Yes, I can live with that explanation!

(You see discussions like this are what I love about NSC, not all that football shit that the anoraks and bobble-hats want to talk about!)

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea

Definitely this. It seems that the 't' on the end of the word 'text' has become the suffix '-ed'.

Which now opens up the possibility of using the word 'tex'.

Blimey - it's a minefield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here