Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Terraces......!

Brighton Scouse

Apr 22, 2009
Perterborough
Having stood in the North Stand during the 70's and 80's, attending the Maracana for a Fla/Flu game and very recently attending the 20th Hillsborough aniversary at Anfield I have very mixed feelings.
As a teenager I loved it but now in my late forties with kids of my own I have my doubts. The German "Safe Standing" system does seem to work well and could be included in the new Falmer stadium at the "New" North stand for instance.
Problem is most of the people with the power to do so have probably never stood on a terrace!

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
The celebrations for both goals and the final whistle were brilliant last night!!!!
That is why we need terracing. And wasn't it so much more fun without stewards coming up every 5 minutes asking us to sit down

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
why is then that there are mosh pits and general admission concerts, surely they should be all seating as well then?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
f***, I'd even sign a disclaimer before I went in if it would get terraces back!

Ditto - regrettably we live in a culture where it's not only no longer desirable to take responsibility for one's own choices, it's bloody impossible. If I want to go an stand on a terrace and run the risk of injury during a surge or celebration, I should bloody well be allowed to do so, but the terror of being sued now is all-consuming in corporate culture, in which sadly football has now entrenched itself.

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
I am old enough to remember the many surges at the Goldstone. Last night relived those memories for me. Standing on a terrace with my view being periodically blocked by a moving person in front of me because we were so packed in but being close enough to all around to react in a great way like when we scored the second goal with Tommy E in front of us like a gladiator, screaming with clenched fists. It was absolutely brilliant and what football is missing with seated stadia. Last night will live long in the memory.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thatcher and her cronies hated football. They couldn't stamp it out, but Hillsborough gave them the chance to sanitise and emasculate it. Sadly, that was one of the Thatcher's more successful ploys (along with destroying more of the British manufacturing industry than the Luftwaffe ever managed to do).

Theres no chance of Falmer having a terrace at the moment because every new stand/stadium MUST be all seater

Halifax and Hartlepool had new terracing when they were in the League; I think Exeter and Torquay did too. There have been new grounds built with terraces (Chester, Walsall, Scunthorpe or Northampton?)
Is this the law of the Land, or a FL ruling?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Its got very little to do with saftey and more to do with the Police being more able to view, film and control any hooligans if people are seated.

Standing enables people to hide or move away from an area to evade being caught.

Seating numbers allow the police to get the address of anyone when tickets are sold online or by post.

Thats why they let you stand at concerts in stadiums - if safety was an issue they would not allow it.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Trouble is the Taylor report was written by someone totally unqualified to do so, how many times did HE experience the terrace atmosphere, or feel in danger on a terrace, I suspect never, outside of a freebie cup final ticket he never went to a football match at all - what he wrote is what he was told by others who had hidden agendas to cover up the stupid/fatal idea of putting fences around grounds, appalling police/steward control and a really crap ground design and signposting that was Hillsboro'.
Now standing is common place at every premier league match/champions league match in the UK showing just what the fans think of his recommendations - I would love terracing to return, football is no fun sitting.
CHICKEN RUNNER is spot on with his reply.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
the more i think about the more f***ing annoyed i get at not having terraces anymore.

awat games like rovers on tues, brentford and peterborough away, hereford in 97 all go to show why football NEEDS this.

recently i have been put off going to all the games merely because all you do is sit like a **** for 80 odd minutes and get up like a jack-in-the-box every now and then...even then some little twat in a flouresent jacket comes and says "sit-down"....

...its a shame that in our lifetime we will prob never enjoy a packed terrace and surges again..... and that pisses me right off. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here