Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tennis: The Davis Cup

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
What is the point? Its an individual sport. I can't believe the BBC is spending the license fee on this dross.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Agreed. I would, however, extend those sentiments to tennis as a whole. I can't believe they have chosen this shite and F1 over putting a proper bid in for Test cricket.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Agreed. I would, however, extend those sentiments to tennis as a whole. I can't believe they have chosen this shite and F1 over putting a proper bid in for Test cricket.

I totally agree. They have BBC 3 and BBC 4 sitting idle all day, so saying they can't give it the coverage it needs just doesn't wash.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Lets get rid of the Ryder Cup as well. Hey, whilst we're at it, the Olympics might as well go to. *sighs*

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
As a tennis fan i totally agree the davis cup is pointless! the tennis calander is already packed solid, why anyone would want to play against the Ukraine in an event we have no chance of ever winning is beyond me,suppose for some of those Brit players its the biggest crowd they will ever play infornt of. Still the top players have massiv tounrerments in the US comming up and i think playing these types of 5 set matches is stupid. and ,YES i think tennis is an individual sport.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I love tennis, both playing and watching. But the Davis Cup has always seemed pointless to me to be honest.

Oct 25, 2003

the thing is with cricket is that it takes up the best part of a day, and i'm not sure any non-sports channel could ever really do it justice (i used to get very annoyed when c4 kept on interrupting coverage with horse racing and the like)

there should at least be some form of highlights package though

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
but most of the top players either pull out or make themselves unavailabe if they dont want to play - I'm sure the glory of representing your country it quite a draw for some of them

it just seems if the top players make themselves unavaliable and pull out and we have the lower ranked players involved it makes it a third rate tournerment that doesnt warrant tv time. I agree with the representing your country arguement for the lower ranked players, i mean one of the 'qualifying' matches broke a world record so they obviously put their all in.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
A good, tight Davis Cup match, with two sets of partisan fans going wild after every point, can be great. Sadly, tomorrow doesn't look like being that. Anyone want my tickets ?

The Davis cup is the version of international football, Cricket, rugby... It is very important it is broadcast and that tennis is broadcast so the hole of the country can see British players play instead of the tv channels being awash with the so called big sports.

Tennis needs to be broadcast as much as possible as simply not enough people play it in this country as opposed to many others. Snooker, Darts... are individual sports so why not take them off air?

It can be seen as boring on TV and at times it is. Go and see it live and you will find it completely un-boring. And why take Tennis off the TV when mens and womens British Tennis and Tennis as a hole is in a very exiting period?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
The Davis cup is the version of international football, Cricket, rugby... It is very important it is broadcast and that tennis is broadcast so the hole of the country can see British players play instead of the tv channels being awash with the so called big sports.

Tennis needs to be broadcast as much as possible as simply not enough people play it in this country as opposed to many others. Snooker, Darts... are individual sports so why not take them off air?

It can be seen as boring on TV and at times it is. Go and see it live and you will find it completely un-boring. And why take Tennis off the TV when mens and womens British Tennis and Tennis as a hole is in a very exiting period?

i agree with the it being an exciting time (finally) for British tennis but i dont think that the Davis cup is the equivilent of international football/rugby and cricket. Many of the top players dont play Davis cup so surely the slams and larger tourne's are more similar to the international stage?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think this is sour grapes. Tennis is no more an individual sport than golf, snooker, darts, gymnastics etc and they've all had successful international team competition.

If Britain had been more successful people would feel a lot better about the competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here