Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tenants From HELL!!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Unless there is a specific clause in the tenancy agreement (not common but it does happen), you must issue a Section 21 notice for at least 2 months. Also make sure it is issued on the rent due date which in your case would be 29th February giving an expiry date of 30th April, issuing on any other date will render the notice invalid. There are several sites on the net where you can download copies, just google Section 21 notice.

The Rent Deposit Boards were set up to alleviate the problem highlighted by Nibble with too many landlords retaining bonds on the flimsiest of reasons. They should act as arbiters in any dispute but their effectiveness varies from area to area.

This is what happened to me, issued the section 21 but as soon as I did, they stopped paying rent which left me 3-4 months having the twats from hell in the property but no rental!

Because of this, I now have council tenants there. The reason for this is, the council pay me the rent bang on time every month direct into my account.
Secondly, they guarantee the deposit. They have their own people come round and do a full and concise inventory of absolutely everything.
That combined with my own insurance combined with malicious damage, gives me a bit more peace of mind

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
[MENTION=970]brighton_b0y[/MENTION] - you need to ensure you have a water tight tenancy agreement ( PM me if you want a copy of the one I use ). DPS is all well and good but what most people don't realise is that it refers back to the tenancy agreement. This means that if you have a well worded agreement you can grab parts of the deposit for almost any reason.

Regards notice - you tenancy agreement should have a clause allowing both parties to give notice - usually two months but there's nothing stopping you putting in one month.

Most importantly - DO NOT USE A MANAGING AGENT - they are a complete waste of money. On occasion I'll pay for an introduction of a new tenant but NEVER pay them for the ongoing management of the property.

You should stop being so nice - it's a business - if they want double glazing then OK but you have no obligation to put it in - they took the property as seen. Remove the washing machine and rent the flat completely unfurnished. Your only obligation is to make repairs NOT improvements.

But you've just partly proved in your post why it would be a good idea to use a decent managing agent. There is a reason why he can't just serve one months notice, its legislation. Landlords have to serve a minimum of two months notice if there are no rent arrears of two months or more.

I agree about removing the washing machine, anything you leave like that means more hassle and cost to you to repair and replace them if they break down and putting double glazing in on their request is generous but will help you long term.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He has just texted as i didnt answer the call... saying he doesnt want to argue and just being all nice... So hopefully we can solve this like adults amicably :) cheers all for the advice :thumbsup:

Kick them out. They'll be all nice til they've signed a rent extension then it'll start all over again. Oh, and give them a stinking reference.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
You don't have the tenants from hell; my parents had a guy live about a shop they owned who constantly threatened with knives, went around various shops borrowing money in the name of them (which in turn meant people came to ask for money back). Got drug dealer friends to make threatning phone calls. Bombarded customers with broken plates.

Yet the courts wouldn't let them evict him as he was placed there by the council, and eviction would have meant homelessness. Police wouldn't arrest him either (they knew what he was like). When the courts finally evicted them (case went to London) on the final night he smashed up everything in the flat with golf clubs.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Cheers Tom... sure it will sort itself out :) he is being nice ish now

Yea i agree maybe not tenants from hell, more like pain in the arse tenants but that doesnt sound as catchy... Needed a thread title that sounded like a shoddy channel for documentry to draw in the people of NSC

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers Tom... sure it will sort itself out :) he is being nice ish now

As I say, he'll be nice-ish til he's got a new rent agreement in place. At least do yourself a favour and limit it to six months.

Oh, and looking at the positives, you'll still have the double glazing when they've left and as you say that'll add a bit of value to your property.

Cheers

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
too many variables here to give proper advice.

god knows why you put in double glazing though.

if you need to get them out speak to these guys http://www.evicthem.co.uk

it is run by a landlord who is pissed off with tenants taking the piss and i have used him a couple of times to issue section 21s etc - he gives good advice and is cheap as chips.

eddie morgan is his name.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
One question for everyone:

Is it true that a tenant can just not pay rent? If so obviously you can get them out but it takes time. Then are you able to sue them for the rent they owe you? Surely a tenant can't just get free accomodation for a number of months towards the end of their stay at a flat.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Er....right. They are wankers and you are a nice bloke!? What!?
And if you think tenants are wankers why bother renting out a flat!?

Exactly how many flats have you rented out with all your experience.
I stated out all starry eyed but a few too many kicks in the balls teaches you what to do in any given situations.
I learn't to keep them at arms length be they good or bad.

therealdsg

Sep 3, 2011
Preston Park
Serve a section 21(4)(a) notice on them in line with the rent due date and get them out.

I work in property management/lettings so if you need any help give us a shout.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Serve a section 21(4)(a) notice on them in line with the rent due date and get them out.

I work in property management/lettings so if you need any help give us a shout.

:thumbsup: cheers mate..

Again i would just like to thank everyone who helped and also the people that took the time to pm me privately. I defo feel more able to tackle any situation that may arise.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
One question for everyone:

Is it true that a tenant can just not pay rent? If so obviously you can get them out but it takes time. Then are you able to sue them for the rent they owe you? Surely a tenant can't just get free accomodation for a number of months towards the end of their stay at a flat.

If I'd known that when I was renting your flat I wouldn't have bothered paying.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Well, apply basic economics. Increase the price to quell demand. They either move because the price is too high, or you argue that because of the additions you've added, you've had no choice to raise the rent. But I know sweet f-all about property law, or the property market itself.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
If I'd known that when I was renting your flat I wouldn't have bothered paying.

Known what? Question not yet answered. Anyway, had that happened I would have let myself in when you were at work, given all your stuff to some tramps and claimed you had never lived there and accused you of trespassing.

therealdsg

Sep 3, 2011
Preston Park
:thumbsup: cheers mate..

Again i would just like to thank everyone who helped and also the people that took the time to pm me privately. I defo feel more able to tackle any situation that may arise.

No probs mate - legality wise that's why its best to use an agent to set it up on an intro basis initially as you've always got them to go back to if it goes wrong and we can offer legal advice, etc. Also means the agreements are proper ARLA/NAEA/council approved ones which will stand up in court.

As far as using agents generally goes - if you're local and know tradesmen its cheaper and easier to manage yourself. Definitely always worth using an agent for advertising and the set-up though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yea i agree maybe not tenants from hell, more like pain in the arse tenants but that doesnt sound as catchy... Needed a thread title that sounded like a shoddy channel for documentry to draw in the people of NSC
We've been had

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
i would kick them out just for telling you to f*** off when youve gone round there

Kick him out? I'd have knocked him out. Not long left on contract now mate just make sure they pay for any damage out of deposit. Good luck anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here