Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ten years ago today

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
I was standing next to you.

Good trip, with a few days in Prague as well.

You certianly were sir. Remember in a sports bar in Prague getting them to turn the channel over so we could watch Sussex play cricket. Not many of the locals understood what was going on and the loosing the Tax Man in the peep shows.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Watched it down the cricket club, having scored my maiden century (111 not out since you ask) that afternoon. Needless to say, one of my best days ever.

Shame two twerps flew those planes into those buildings 10 days later.......

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I recall a work colleague proudly telling me her young son was an official FA mascot for the game and got flown out for the game, VIP treatment, full England footie kit and walked onto the pitch with the teams etc before watching England demolish the Germans.

What an experience. Hope he grew up to be an Albion fan.

Chunk

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Hare & Hounds ... beer dripping from the ceiling. What a night.

To put it into perspective - they still qualified while we struggled to make it on the final match, and we only just did!

And they've done us again in an actual World Cup match since then.

So let's be real about it, if that's what we dine out on for a decade then we have to look at ourselves and ask why their scalp is so precious to us anyway.
I'd rather we were seeing the Germans off regularly and shrugging like it's no biggie.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
To put it into perspective - they still qualified while we struggled to make it on the final match, and we only just did!

And they've done us again in an actual World Cup match since then.

So let's be real about it, if that's what we dine out on for a decade then we have to look at ourselves and ask why their scalp is so precious to us anyway.
I'd rather we were seeing the Germans off regularly and shrugging like it's no biggie.

We topped the table, though.

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
Was watching the game in a bar in Glasgow the atmosphere was amazing especially after the Huns scored, I really thought that we were going to get mullered and was resigning myself to a night of the usual anti-english jock humour...........oh how things changed never enjoyed a game quite as much, even the barman bought me a drink!

sammy g

I went to a pub to watch the game in Reigate, had a massive bust up with my then girlfriend and missed three of the goals. Post match celebrations were amazing, even though I had become single and was a bit miserable!

Can't believe it was 10 years ago!

Ha, I too had a big bust up with my then girlfriend, and the game was slightly soured as a result, she later became my wife. Then the busts ups really begun! Glad she pays no interest to NSC.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was there, fantastic day great city, so many great pubs! After the game was strange though, not the riotous celebrations you would expect, it rained really hard and every England fan I saw just looked shellshocked, went back to the hotel and was in bed by about 2am...

chops

Egg chaser & hack
Jan 4, 2011
Christchurch, NZ
My Uncle's wedding. I ran a sweepstake on first scorer and fleeced my relatives of £40, although my Grandma was very pleased when I told her Carsten Jancker had won her £20.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

To put it in perspective, we still qualified while they struggled to make it on the final match, and they only just did.

Germany drew at home to Finland on the last day. Both teams had already made the play-offs (at worst) before the final match.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Ha, I too had a big bust up with my then girlfriend, and the game was slightly soured as a result, she later became my wife. Then the busts ups really begun! Glad she pays no interest to NSC.

Hahaha, I think it's safe to say the 'lady' in question did not become my wife... thank god!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here