Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ten Most Notorius Albion Player Signings

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
was going to say this myself - and ask Paul Hart what he thinks of Micky Thomas!

Mickey Thomas is the one Albion player I utterly despise, nasty little runt.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Mark Farrington - technically better than Micky Small, quote unquote from Barry Lloyd:facepalm:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mark Farrington - technically better than Micky Small, quote unquote from Barry Lloyd:facepalm:

He might have proved to have been so had he not been permanently on the sick list. Paul Kitson was another for that matter although he didn't command a transfer fee. On the other hand Jason Peake was a dreadful waste of money.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would take "notorious" in this case to mean bad signings, not hard-as-nails players, just the signings that went horribly wrong, or were a total waste of time.

In which case Mark Farrington (as mentioned above) has to be one of them- £100k was a stack of money for us in those days and it was a complete waste of cash. Paul Kitson would be another- big wages, big reputation, constantly injured.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Before my time, but I'd have thought Andy Ritchie would be included, bearing in mind he's still our record signing, at least twenty five years on, and did chuff all for us.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
He might have proved to have been so had he not been permanently on the sick list. Paul Kitson was another for that matter although he didn't command a transfer fee. On the other hand Jason Peake was a dreadful waste of money.

Just had a look at Farrington's record, never realised he was with us for 3 years (1991-1994) thought it was a season and a half or so. In 3 season Apps 28 Goals 4. Almost undoubtedly cost Barry Lloyd his job and in that period of him leading the line, we went from pre Farrington play off final to the top flight, to probably mid to lower of the third flight.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks rapper, thought I was lost in a parallel universe for a minute there.

If we're talkinh 'notorious' in it's rightful sense, albeit connected to football, surely the winner would be Hans Kraay?

Hans Kraay by a mile. Met him on several occasions, a nicer gentleman you'd find hard to meet. But once he stood over that touchline he was hard as nails, be good to see him here on our first game at Falmer if possible

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What makes a notorious signing:

A very famous player
A lot of dosh for a lump of lard
Record £ signing
Big personality player
Lots of dosh for an unknown
Any player signed from Palace
Player turns down another club for Brighton
Player who has been on TV a lot, in the past this used to in the Cup Final
International player
Crowd favourite
Something completely different

Not a load of useless hype to try and con the public (e.g. Codner)

Will be see another sensational/notorious signing before next season?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Before my time, but I'd have thought Andy Ritchie would be included, bearing in mind he's still our record signing, at least twenty five years on, and did chuff all for us.

He was only expensive as a signing on paper though, when there was that 'triangle' transfer between us, Forest and ManUre, Birtles going Forest-ManUre, Ritchie going ManUre - Brighton and Wardy going Brighton - Forest. Strangely enough none of them really hit it off at their respective new clubs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have I missed something? What's so notorious about these players?

Exactly!

The idea came from the TV programme. I sort of translated it to the signings which created the most interest. Bobby Smith I is so far out ahead it is unbelievable. And it was a close season signing. Lawrenson fugures as the first £100K signing. It is a lot of hype in the case of Teddy Maybank and Mickey Thomas.

Then why not head up the thread as the 10 most interesting signings?

Definition of notorious (adjective)
renowned; having an unfavorable connotation; known for disgrace

And that can be summarised in just two words - Mickey Thomas. Younger fans wouldn't know but we signed a player who had behaved disgracefully virtually every time he had played us prior to his signing. It is, as far as I can recall, the only time a new players was dispised by most fans even before he had put on his blue shirt for the press conference. Thank god it didn't last too long. His illustrious career went downhill ending up in the clink for passing off forged notes to junior players when he was at Wrexham at the end of his career.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I would take "notorious" in this case to mean bad signings, not hard-as-nails players, just the signings that went horribly wrong, or were a total waste of time.

In which case Mark Farrington (as mentioned above) has to be one of them- £100k was a stack of money for us in those days and it was a complete waste of cash. Paul Kitson would be another- big wages, big reputation, constantly injured.

Agreed, he was turd. I have no idea how much we paid for him but I recall another useless player called Ray McHale many years ago. But thats back a bit further

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Now I know how crap much first posters get on this site but I'm not a JCL but TOBCB, anyway if your looking for notorious which according to my dictionary means" Known widely and usually unfavourably; infamous" what about Sammy Morgan who came on for his first game as sub at Gillingham and was sent off for for drop kicking their player in the chest before he even touched the ball. Anyone else remember

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
Remember robert codner? dont give it to me... dont give it to me.. ..oops now ive lost it :facepalm:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Zamora transfer is as notorious as Fletchley's WI stalwart Mrs Barbara Hunnisett dying from old age. Barely more than a ripple in the local press.

I don't think we have had ten transfers that have gained notoriety.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here