Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tedious point-scoring over other teams' fans

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Predictably, there's already a thread about Palace fans going to Villa.

Am I the only one who finds all this "we took more than you to xxxxx" or "yeah but we get average gates of xxx" a bit tedious?

Since when was the number of supporters a club has been any measure of their loyalty or greatness? It's not just Palace, I'm sick of hearing how great Newcastle are because they get large gates, or Pompey are because they revel in their crap stadium and ring a bell. I'm fed up of Liverpool fans being described as the greatest in the world because, er...well I don't even know why.

Are (say) Macclesfield Town any less valid a club because hardly anyone goes to watch them? Does it make Scunthorpe a less worthy Championship side because they don't get the same size crowds as Derby? It certainly doesn't mean they have better fans, just more of them, and there's not a lot they can do about that.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
It is laughable when you think how shit our home support is, and when we can't even take much more than 1000 to places like Millwall, barely an hour away

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It is laughable when you think how shit our home support is, and when we can't even take much more than 1000 to places like Millwall, barely an hour away

I think you might have just justified her point !

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
It doesn't really make a great deal of sense.

In terms of catchment area we as a club do very well in that there really aren't many league clubs close to us (hence we had to ground share with GILLINGHAM when it came down to it).

If we were more successful we could expect to convert all manner of Chelsea/Manchester United/Arsenal fans in the area and we cover quite a lot of ground.

The fact that Crawley has more Chelsea fans than Albion supporters (let alone Crawley Town fans) says it all

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And on this subject, I can't be the only one who found it bordering on embarrassing the extent to which Palace were portrayed as plucky little minnows by ITV today.

So they've gone into administration (through their own bad financial management), big deal. They've sold ONE player as a result, and still have a team containing Ambrose- signed for a decent amount- Speroni, supposedly the best keeper in the Championship; Danns, Carle, Derry, Clyne etc etc. All players with tonnes of experience or youthful promise. Any Championship team at home to a Premier League side would be expected to put up a decent fight of it.

Yet ITV would have you believe it was the equivalent of Man United taking on Forest Green Rovers. Yes, that tiny, put-upon David of a club taking on the Premier League Goliaths. The worst bit was when Steve Ryder spoke of Palace's "poor, brave fans" at the end :sick:

Poor?? Not that poor if they can afford the ticket prices. BRAVE? FFS, they've only turned up to watch a bloody game of football, like they do most weeks! What the HELL is brave about that?

Sake :angry:

It seems that you only need to watch a skint club to suddenly have the Greatest Fans In The World(c).

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Well that's just ITV all over.

I rather hope that most people are sensible enough to realise they talk shit.

It's obviously good work by Palace to get a result against Villa, after all they are further down in the league pyramid, but it's nowhere near as far away as we are from them.

Without the points deduction, to my annoyance, Palace would actually be riding high

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think Edna is spot-on with every point on this thread

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
"My Dad's bigger than your Dad"
"No he's not. My Dad's bigger than your Dad"
"Rubbish. My Dad's bigger than your Dad"
etc etc

Totally agree (and on the point about ITV - it was Div 1 v Div 2)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And on this subject, I can't be the only one who found it bordering on embarrassing the extent to which Palace were portrayed as plucky little minnows by ITV today.

So they've gone into administration (through their own bad financial management), big deal. They've sold ONE player as a result, and still have a team containing Ambrose- signed for a decent amount- Speroni, supposedly the best keeper in the Championship; Danns, Carle, Derry, Clyne etc etc. All players with tonnes of experience or youthful promise. Any Championship team at home to a Premier League side would be expected to put up a decent fight of it.

Yet ITV would have you believe it was the equivalent of Man United taking on Forest Green Rovers. Yes, that tiny, put-upon David of a club taking on the Premier League Goliaths. The worst bit was when Steve Ryder spoke of Palace's "poor, brave fans" at the end :sick:

Poor?? Not that poor if they can afford the ticket prices. BRAVE? FFS, they've only turned up to watch a bloody game of football, like they do most weeks! What the HELL is brave about that?

Sake :angry:

It seems that you only need to watch a skint club to suddenly have the Greatest Fans In The World(c).

You don't think he was being a tad sarcastic?

Steve Ryder is, after all, a Charlton Athletic fan.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
"We get 3 dollars to the pound!"

Supporters will always look for anything to have a bit of one-upmanship over the other lot. It's just the way it is. Don't take it too seriously.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/whp5qazvb40&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/whp5qazvb40&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/whp5qazvb40&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/whp5qazvb40&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Top gag

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009

It's not an embarrassment to only take 1000 to that shit hole. Who would want a day out watch animals fight themselves and the Police, then try to rip your throat out when all most people want to do is watch football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here