Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Technical help required

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
OK, calling upon the technical people on NSC.

My Dad is just about to go and live on a boat for 6-9 months and needs to communicate through phone calls and e-mail. So he is looking at buying a laptop and a mobile phone in some sort of way.

Any ideas of what might be the best thing to do - he has thought about getting a PDA/phone combo but he really does need the laptop as a PDA won't do.

Any ideas?

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Barnet Seagull said:
Vodaphone 3G Data Card in the laptop will enable internet connectivity and will revert to gprs if 3g isn't available.

Would he need a mobile as well or does the data card double up as a phone as well?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Seagull over NZ said:
Would he need a mobile as well or does the data card double up as a phone as well?

No a data card as the name suggests does data only.

Best solution is like what i use pitchside. (If I can't get a BB connection)
Basic mobile with bluetooth (6310i not made any more but plenty knocking about) a bluetooth dongle or a bluetooth enabeled laptop.

Bluetooth is a short range network over radio waves good enough for 10m or so some claim can be upt to 100m but I doubt that is very reliable as it depends on other bluetooth products in the area.

the 6310i is a basic business phone designed too handle the knocks.

I use Virgin too connect mine and an hour of Internet activity through that at weekends would cost around £4 I think.

mk_bha

Jul 14, 2003
6320 is good to use as it can store 256Mb and you can email to and from the phone itself using an orange.net account.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Vodafone Mobile Connect card is excellent, the ones sold here don't do 3G (as Vodafone are too cheap to install their 3G network), but do GRPS, HSCSD and normal GSM - the first two are usually as fast if not faster than a modem (althouhg HSCSD is not commonly available in the UK and is slower than in Ireland where it is)

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Tomco - cheers for that. The bluetooth idea is looking like the best so far. What is the speed like - similar to just a 56k modem dial up or is it much slower than that?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is he going to actually out at sea on this boat? in whihc case he might want to investigate Packet radio - using the Ham/amatuer radio spectrum to send internet data. dont know how it works exactly and ou might have to have a licence to use that radio spectrum, but its virtually 100% coverage worldwide.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You need a licence, and a lot of convertor equipment, as well as a decent radio aerial

And the connection speeds are slooooooooow. When you consider that for a Digital Radio Mondial connection (digital radio over shortwave), you're lucky to get 16Kbp/s for the audio, when you take into account the extra care data needs, you're looking at 10Kbp/s on amatuer kit.

Of course, the more you pay the better the speed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here