Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Techie Question

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
JonC said:
The machine is new - only just got around to getting a copy of XP.

I love your morality - but I bet that doesn't stop you using P2P networks. If you can assure me that you never use illegal file sharing, then I would be delighted to hear you are such a bastion of common law.

I don't use P2P networks - I occasionally DJ and its waaay too much of a financial risk to be caught using stuff you don't own. CDWOW and HMV sales are wonderful things

Also, new computers come with operating systems. And usually won't run Windows 98...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
MYOB said:
use an illegal Windows, no software updates.

Stop scaring the lad off - this is untrue.

I have a hookie copy of XP Pro and I get auto updates no problem - FACT

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned dual boot as an option (not my recomendation though)

I'd say, so long as your kit is XP spec compliant, copy all your "My Documents" and other data files onto a DVD or CD and then boot from the XP CD and kick off with an FDISK to clear the partion and then reformat to NTFS with a clean install.

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
MYOB said:
I don't use P2P networks - I occasionally DJ and its waaay too much of a financial risk to be caught using stuff you don't own. CDWOW and HMV sales are wonderful things

Also, new computers come with operating systems. And usually won't run Windows 98...

Amazing how you knew so much about P2P in that link. I also bought the computer (actually just the hard drive - no screen or anything) direct from the manufacturers (my mate sells computers or something) so it had no OS on it.

Shropshire Seagull said:
I'd say, so long as your kit is XP spec compliant, copy all your "My Documents" and other data files onto a DVD or CD and then boot from the XP CD and kick off with an FDISK to clear the partion and then reformat to NTFS with a clean install.

Like I know what that means.

Christ, I don't even know how to save stuff onto CD. How do I??????

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Another Berkshire Seagull said:

In 1998 it wasn't safe, now it is. Nothing thats still out there attacks Windows 98, and unless you've got IE6 on it, you're unlikely to hit much crap that can get your browser either

A Windows 98 SE box is going to be many, many times safer on the net than an XP box in a similar state of unpatchedness.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
JonC said:
Amazing how you knew so much about P2P in that link. I also bought the computer (actually just the hard drive - no screen or anything) direct from the manufacturers (my mate sells computers or something) so it had no OS on it.

What you're calling the "hard drive" would in fact be the full computer, I take it? The hard drive is the little 3.5" wide metal box -inside- that case, that stores your data..

Also, in what "link" ???

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
JonC said:

Like I know what that means.

Christ, I don't even know how to save stuff onto CD. How do I??????

:lolol: Bet you can't get this sort of insight on the Crewe messageboard!

JonC

Oct 18, 2004

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Downloaded Penguin said:
:lolol: Bet you can't get this sort of insight on the Crewe messageboard!

You don't get a lot of messages on the Crewe board. I just use for technical advice. We haven't got the net up here yet (apart from rich folk like my goodself).

Seriously now, how do I save stuff onto CD? Do I need to download a burner or summat?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
JonC said:
Trust me, the computer didn't have an OS with it. I used the Windows CD from my old computer.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43747&highlight=file - you seem a bit of an expert on p2p.

Firstly, what I was pointing out there is that you've got your terminology arseways, not pressing the point about the CD.

Secondly - mate of mine is the current project lead on Shareaza, which is why I know a lot about it. Don't use it myself, but he talks about it a lot. I also clean up the worst cases of P2P system fuckups a lot.

Also, P2P does have legimate uses, most notably downloading huge but legal files, such as public domain movies ("Freedom Downtime" being such a film, released for free download by its owners), or Linux distros.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Rather than this turning into a whole MYOB bating thread can anyone tell me why it's acceptable to steal software but yet unacceptable to go into a store (lets say the club shop as this is a football forum) and steal something?

Because the majority of people have never been able to equate the amount of work and production cost that goes into a bitstream* compared to a hunk of cloth. Windows, much as I hate the damn thing, has had 22 years of development behind it, at immense costs. Its not something Microsoft could actually afford to churn off at $1.99 a copy, and yet people expect to get it for that.

I have a shelf full of boxed Linux distros, most of them bought from commercial vendors who put incredible amounts of effort back into development. This is something you're -allowed- take for free, and nearly everyone does... but when the family business is software you realise what the actual cost is, behind the material cost of pressing disks and printing manuals and boxes...

*same applies to music and movies, although those -are- generally overpriced, at least on initial release

Last edited:

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Rather than this turning into a whole MYOB bating thread can anyone tell me why it's acceptable to steal software but yet unacceptable to go into a store (lets say the club shop as this is a football forum) and steal something?

Oh, those poor people at Microsoft. I'm sure my actions are making a big dent in Bill Gates' pockets.

I feel no remorse about 'stealing' from huge multi nationals, who don't give a shit about anyone, like that.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
JonC said:
Oh, those poor people at Microsoft. I'm sure my actions are making a big dent in Bill Gates' pockets.

I feel no remorse about 'stealing' from huge multi nationals, who don't give a shit about anyone, like that.

But you wouldn't go into McDonalds and nick a Happy Meal now, would you? Or swipe two hundred quid (retail value of XP Pro) of stuff from Asda? They're just as huge a multinational, and they're just as don't-give-a-crap'ish to people. But no, because you know that you'd do 90 hours community service or something for that. You assume that because something is digitised, it should be free

Git.

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
MYOB said:
But you wouldn't go into McDonalds and nick a Happy Meal now, would you? Or swipe two hundred quid (retail value of XP Pro) of stuff from Asda? They're just as huge a multinational, and they're just as don't-give-a-crap'ish to people. But no, because you know that you'd do 90 hours community service or something for that. You assume that because something is digitised, it should be free

Git.

No. I do it because I can get away with it.

I can't at Asda.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Oh, and if you think a bit of software is overpriced (as I do with Microsoft Office, for instance) you have another option

Don't use it!

If you can't afford Windows, or won't pay for it, tough. There are cheaper (BeOS), significantly cheaper (Geoworks) or free (Linux, BSD) operating systems out there.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
MYOB said:
Nothing thats still out there attacks Windows 98

Doh, more MYOB bullshit !!
Just you try creating a share on the root of your C: drive on a Win 98 PC and then hook up to the web - in less than 5 mins your'll be fcuked - FACT
(I know coz it happend to me on one of my home PC's not that long ago)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here