Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Tech support advice. Cider v laptop.

Jul 20, 2003
Hypothetically of course.

If someone knocked a bottle of Henry Weston's medium dry vintage cider (8.2%) over their £700 laptop last night and now finds that the keyboard is absolutely f***ed could they just get a cheap USB keyboard and use that?

Would that work?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

If someone knocked a bottle of Henry Weston's medium dry vintage cider (8.2%) over their £700 laptop last night and now finds that the keyboard is absolutely f***ed could they just get a cheap USB keyboard and use that?

Would that work?
When someone mentioned using Apple they clearly miss-heard.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Would that work?
Hypothetically yes, assuming the USB connections are undamaged.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cider will win.

Jul 20, 2003
Hypothetically yes, assuming the USB connections are undamaged.

As an aside .... And you seem to be the person to ask ... Is it reasonably easy to get Deus Ex (the old one) up and running on a slightly cider soggy laptop?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
As an aside .... And you seem to be the person to ask ... Is it reasonably easy to get Deus Ex (the old one) up and running on a slightly cider soggy laptop?
Absolutely. Runs like a dream. There’s a whole load of third party mods too for quality of life (better resolution, right through to whole game conversions). Your laptop will easily run it, without me even knowing the spec.

The GOTY edition on Steam (currently £5.99 but regularly goes down as low as 99p in sales) runs perfectly on my Windows 11 laptop.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Should be able to get a wireless bluetooth keyboard with USB connector easy enough. I use one all the time for my work setup (which has, thus far, remained largely ciderless).

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Depending on make and model of the keyboard you may be able to replace the whole keyboard quite easily. I find it a pain having to card around an extra USB keyboard. Kind of defeats the point. Unless the laptop is always located in one place.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Depending on make and model of the keyboard you may be able to replace the whole keyboard quite easily. I find it a pain having to card around an extra USB keyboard. Kind of defeats the point. Unless the laptop is always located in one place.
This is usually not difficult i did a Asus one for about £16 in 15 minutes all very easy. Just look on youtube and go step by step it gives you so much confidence. I then tried replacing iphone screens that the kids had dropped bit more tricky but no big deal.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
He played a part in this fiasco.
On behalf of the owner may I pass on our sympathies for your situation; we feel your pain and share your frustration.

However, after due and careful consideration, I fear that I am obliged to communicate the following on behalf of NSC, its owner, and his descendants and antecedents: we reject your claim in full.

An explanation for our decision follows: it appears to us that your current woes are due exclusively and entirely to your fuckwittery/cockwomblery*.

We thank you for your continued patronage of our esteemed site and wish you a pleasant day.

* delete as appropriate, though deletion is not really required tbh.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Would that work?
Could have been worse. It could have been a careless gesture with a hand full of pork scratching. The dust at the bottom of the packet gets into all the crevices. You'd have been seriously disgruntled..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here