Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tebbit attacks 'unreformed' Islam.

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
nickgeo said:
Bless the old nutter, how did he get out the residential unit?

He is 'the don'! He dont like Brighton much though and he used to be my local MP.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Utter wanker though he is, incredibly, I find myself largely agreeing with that first paragraph.

Islam used to have a 'code' by which everything was questioned, and great advances were made in their civilisation. Then around 500 years ago, the Turks took over and said that nothing under their rule should be challenged. The 'thinkers' and leaders of the Muslim world were silenced, effectively grinding their advacements to a halt. And it has not picked up since that time.

I am paraphrasing, but that is kind of the nuts and bolts of it.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Well, i cannot see anything wrong in what the guy has said. Strange that it made the news though? ???

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think he is missing the point. If he is saying that Islamic countries of late haven't been setting the world alight in the field of Science, then he has a point because they haven't but this is more to do with repressive leadership, which even a good old soft leftie like me is against.

I am sure the scientific community in the UK has more than it's fair share of Muslim members.

Oddly enough I sort of have time for Tebbit as at least he says what is on his mind and allows a debate, as opposed to making guarded comments.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For a religon with no techonological advances in 500 years they're pretty good at making bombs...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
sullyupthewing said:
Yeah right

OK, I give you...

Paella
Flamenco
Cous cous
Indian curry
Felafel
Tabouli
Reggae / Calypso / Samba etc
Ganga

and that's just scratching the surface. We all pick and choose various aspects of other cultures and traditions and incorporate them into our own. This is done largely through integration of people from different ethnic backgrounds and diverse origins, and celebrating the best that they have to offer. We should (and do) abhor their worst.

Like it or lump it, we are living in a multi-cultural society. It's too late if you to turn back to a single culture, because now in Britain, there is no such thing.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The Large One said:
OK, I give you...

Paella
Flamenco
Cous cous
Indian curry
Felafel
Tabouli
Ganga

and that's just scratching the surface. We all pick and choose various aspects of other cultures and traditions and incorporate them into our own. This is done largely through integration of people from different ethnic backgrounds and diverse origins, and celebrating the best that they have to offer. We should (and do) abhor their worst.

Like it or lump it, we are living in a multi-cultural society. It's too late if you to turn back to a single culture, because now in Britain, there is no such thing.

That isn't multiculturalism, that's integration via cultural evolution.

Multiculturalism as far as I'm concerend is when many cultures coexist within a society and MAINTAIN their cultural differences.

I don't think it's possible to maintain cultural differences within a society without some form of cultural evolution.

Perhaps it's the definition that needs to change.

I'm all for multiple cultures in a society, but the cultural values need to synthesise into a common framework for it to work.

Cultures which staunchly seek to maintain their differences within a society breed segregationalism and not the integrated society which could work.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The Large One said:
OK, I give you...

Paella
Flamenco
Cous cous
Indian curry
Felafel
Tabouli
Ganga

you confuse culture with consumerism, and its always "to late" for people out to maintain the status quo.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yeah the muslims are now trying to buy nuclear weapons coz they cant develop their own. Look at Iran....they are not exactly being secret about it...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...that bloke is, has always been and will always remain a complete and utter tit. End of.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
looney said:
you confuse culture with consumerism, and its always "to late" for people out to maintain the status quo.
I said I was 'scratching the surface' - a mere few examples. The status quo doesn't exist either - Britain's is an ever-evolving society. Look at the changes - for instance - in attitudes, class division, tolerance or intolerance in Britain from say 1945 to 1965, then 1965 to 1985, and 1985 onwards. Then compare and contrast.

Cultural diversity and multi-culturalism are not mutually exclusive - there are strands of society in which both can co-exist. I am not Jewish, and I will not go into a synagogue to worship, but that does not follow I cannot get on with Jewish people. And so on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here