Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teams that finish bottom of the Championship/Division One

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I disagree, I think we're in the same boat as those clubs. Small attendances, no real money. I don't think any of them lost many players, as I suspect we won't.

Small attendances: its not like its a new thing to us and if we do start to win games we will surley have bigger attendances than what we have had this season with the new away stand and the"Kop" :lolol:

Money situation: I belive that with the youth team in place we should be ok fine if not next season the year after there should be a great chance of going back up but i think we can go up again next season
i no youth team football isnt the same as 1st team but they achived alot and look at the players who have come threw and we have sold on and still have the players we have kept on are just as good if not better imho!

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
If we get relegated next season I will donate £100 to charity.

There, now I've got double the reasons for not wanting too give to charity.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Teams that finish bottom of the Championship/Division One

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
With MM in charge bottom 3.

Want a £500.00 REMF bet to put your money where your mouth is on that ???

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Id be suprised if ended up anywhere but mid table.

Not enough to push for top and too good to go down - saying that im sure Rotherham were saying the same and they almost weent.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Teams that finish bottom of the Championship/Division One

Icy Gull said:
Want a £500.00 REMF bet to put your money where your mouth is on that ???

And it's all gone quiet over there:lolol:

Silent Bob said:
2001/2 - 22nd Crewe (49), 23rd Barnsley (48) - NExt season 2nd Crewe and 19th Barnsley
2002/3 - 22nd Sheffield Wednesday (46), 23rd Brighton (45) - Next season 16th Wednesday and 4th Brighton
2003/4 - 22nd Walsall (51), 23rd Bradford (36) - Next season 14th Wallsall and 11th Bradford
2004/5 - 22nd Gillingham (50), 23rd Nottingham Forest (44) - Next season 14th Gillingham and 7th Forest.

So the two teams that actually went back up after being relegated, Crewe and Brighton, were ones that didn't sack their manager? Thanks, useful info :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Next season will be a holding season at best if McGhee stays as he clearly has little support on the board so he is unlikely to get any financial backing to strenghten the squad. Even DK has hardly come out in full support of McGhee, using phrases like "in the best interests of the club" - his reasons for keeping McGhee are purely financial, we can't afford to get rid of him, (I am reasonably reliably informed that the pay would be in the regionof £250k!) it's not because he genuinely thinks he's the best man for the job. McGhee knows this and Knows that only a play off place at worst will get him a new contract. It's all a bit of a mess really!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
So the two teams that actually went back up after being relegated, Crewe and Brighton, were ones that kept their manager? Thanks, useful info :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Others kept them but sacked them when they continued to under perform.

Silent Bob said:
Others kept them but sacked them when they continued to under perform.

Well, we know that didn't happen in the case of Steve Coppell (12 games)/Mark McGhee (37 games). Just shows you what good managers those pair are, doesn't it? :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
To be fair, the standard of the championship was much higher this season, and it tends to fluctuate. We have a much better youth setup than all those other relegated teams. Plus, our losses are sustainable for the time being, whereas Stockport, Rotherham and Wimbledon were in danger of folding. (Not sure about Grimsby).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
what are these serious changes? ??? everyone mentions them but no1 ever says what they are ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fragmented Badger said:
Manager OUT
Coaching staff OUT
At least 8 players OUT

That's a start, surely?

I can see why you might be expecting a 2nd consecutive relegation then, that should pretty well guarantee it :lol:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
brightonfan_86 said:
If we keep Magoo we'll be struggling near the bottom.

Obviously this is true because McGhee has never succeeded at that level before. Actually having thought about it he has taken three teams up but obviously you know everything about football so if you say this is a fact then it must be true :lolol:

It is too early to say what will happen next season. Nobody knows who will be manager, who will be leaving and signing and whether any of the youth team players will come through and become regulars as Lynch did last season. Writing us off now is ridiculous and I wonder sometimes whether some people on here want us to fail so they are proved right.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
Writing us off now is ridiculous and I wonder sometimes whether some people on here want us to fail so they are proved right.

Hit The Nail On The Head there. I sometime thought last season people prayed we were releagted just so they were right and could find another way to get rid of McGhee. I dont think anyone would have done better and I dont think there is anyone better than him for next season. If we sack the manager now i expect us to be bottom by Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here