Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teams representing more than one town...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Used to be Rye and Iden, but they dumped Iden... ruthless bastards!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
apart from the detail that they've dropped the Woolwich part, theres no place called "Arsenal".

(if we do clubs that dont have a real place name, Arsenal would be first to mind)

I believe in England they are the only club without a place to their name.

[Edit] Pro club I meant.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Which that 30's manager they had ... forget his name... Herbert..., persuaded a change to the name although it still has the original name underneath. Gillespie Road?

Woolwich Arsenal is a definite place - now redeveloped as housing and civic buildings. The original team played in Plumstead, where some of the terracing from the Invicta ground survives in the back garden of an Edwardian house. Herbert Chapman seized the opportunity to re-locate to Highbury in around 1913, much to the annoyancer of the board of Tottenham Hotspur.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Woolwich Arsenal is a definite place - now redeveloped as housing and civic buildings. The original team played in Plumstead, where some of the terracing from the Invicta ground survives in the back garden of an Edwardian house. Herbert Chapman seized the opportunity to re-locate to Highbury in around 1913, much to the annoyancer of the board of Tottenham Hotspur.

Yeah I know all that, I was replying to the tube station being renamed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I believe in England they are the only club without a place to their name.

was trying to think of others too, best i could do was QPR, while there is a Queens Park its not a town but a park.

Apart from the tube station.
named after the club.

Woolwich Arsenal is a definite place .

it was the Royal Arsenal. its a shame they've dropped the original name for the station. eitherway, claiming its a town seperate is silly, you might as well count Nottingham Forrest. :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Last edited:

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Is it a city? Their rivals Redbridge are in the F.A. cup first round against Oxford City.

Redbridge is a borough of London, it gets confusing as Dagenham merged with Redbridge Forest, who originally resulted from a merger between Walthamstow and Ilford. The Redbridge in the FA Cup changed their name to Redbridge a couple of years ago, from Ford United, essentially the works team from the Dagenham factory. Phew.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Port Vale.

Debatable apparently.

The name did exist on maps long ago and the club were formed after meeting in Port Vale House.

So a bit like Crystal Palace - except the name DID get used to name an area of South London.

Does "Everton" exist as a place anymore ? Don't think it does.

So (I think) Arsenal is the only team with a name that doesn't strictly relate to an historical place - since they've dropped the Greenwich bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here