Cox

Murray
Forster

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thornhill unlike crofts :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

Your talking bollocks, it really annoys me when people say crofts isnt attacking obviously have never watched him play in detail.

Thing is Munkfish, I understand what you're saying but Crofts does KINDA play like a defensive midfielder, just in the areas an attacking midfielder usually patrols. I wish he'd SHOOT a bit more often, or play more incisive/creative balls. When was the last time he played a VITAL ball through to one of our strikers?

His main duties seem to be:

• Harrying opposition midfielders
  • Breaking up opposition passing
  • Passing sideways/defensively

Those are the duties of a defensive midfielder.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Thing is Munkfish, I understand what you're saying but Crofts does KINDA play like a defensive midfielder, just in the areas an attacking midfielder usually patrols. I wish he'd SHOOT a bit more often, or play more incisive/creative balls. When was the last time he played a VITAL ball through to one of our strikers?

His main duties seem to be:

• Harrying opposition midfielders
  • Breaking up opposition passing
  • Passing sideways/defensively

Those are the duties of a defensive midfielder.

I agree in part those are the duties of a defensive midfielder but they should be the duties of any midfileder if its going to be a strong unit and i think Crofts and Dicker do this very well, i quite agree he should shoot a bit more and creativity lacks at times, but the sideways passes could of been tactics from Slade to get the balls wide to the wingers and put in crosses, although if that was the case we failed misrabley, im hoping we will see more from him now and poyet will give him the chance to 'express' himself.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree in part those are the duties of a defensive midfielder but they should be the duties of any midfileder if its going to be a strong unit and i think Crofts and Dicker do this very well, i quite agree he should shoot a bit more and creativity lacks at times, but the sideways passes could of been tactics from Slade to get the balls wide to the wingers and put in crosses, although if that was the case we failed misrabley, im hoping we will see more from him now and poyet will give him the chance to 'express' himself.

I just think he doesn't do enough in an attacking sense to be called an attacking or creative midfielder.

I hope you're right, he's clearly got a good shot on him.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I just think he doesn't do enough in an attacking sense to be called an attacking or creative midfielder.

I hope you're right, he's clearly got a good shot on him.

Don't see what's so fashionable about "attacking" and "defensive" midfielders. I look at Dicker and Crofts and see two centre midfielders...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't see what's so fashionable about "attacking" and "defensive" midfielders. I look at Dicker and Crofts and see two centre midfielders...

You need to give them specific roles. It doesn't have to be 100% one defensive, 100% one attacking but in all SUCCESSFUL central midfield partnerships you will notice one will tend towards the former and one the latter.

This is EXACTLY why Gerrard and Lampard never worked together as a central midfield pairing. They share far too many of the same tendencies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here