Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team selection for Charlton?

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Why has nobody criticised OGH for failing to close down Gradel when he (Gradel) crossed for Leeds' winner?!?! When Navarro recently turned his back on an opponent who then crossed for a goal, he was roundly criticised.

I did :wave:

Annoyed me that did, and surprised it was Gary Hart. Usually he is first to close players down. You could say that cost us 2 points.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Regarding the criticism of Brezovan - totally OTT in my opinion. Bar the occasional mistake, he seems a far stronger keeper than Kuipers. Kuipers does not come for crosses, timewastes for England and always moans at the defenders when we concede a goal, even when Kuipers himself is at fault.

Why has nobody criticised OGH for failing to close down Gradel when he (Gradel) crossed for Leeds' winner?!?! When Navarro recently turned his back on an opponent who then crossed for a goal, he was roundly criticised.

But you're talking about a handful of games for Brighton. I'm talking about his appearances for us and his appearances for Swindon aswell. If the Moonraker appears in this thread, he'll probably back up my opinions about the man. He is a liability, and that's why Danny Wilson released him. Michel Kuipers does time waste, and when you're 1-0 up at Elland Road with 10 minutes left, the professional goalkeeper catches a ball and drops to the ground for a few seconds and lets the team get out. He doesn't throw it straight to the opposition again. That was unprofessional and, frankly, poor goalkeeping.

I agree about OGH, he should have defended that better.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
But you're talking about a handful of games for Brighton. I'm talking about his appearances for us and his appearances for Swindon aswell. If the Moonraker appears in this thread, he'll probably back up my opinions about the man. He is a liability, and that's why Danny Wilson released him. Michel Kuipers does time waste, and when you're 1-0 up at Elland Road with 10 minutes left, the professional goalkeeper catches a ball and drops to the ground for a few seconds and lets the team get out. He doesn't throw it straight to the opposition again. That was unprofessional and, frankly, poor goalkeeping.

I agree about OGH, he should have defended that better.

Agreed.
I think FDM did very little to warrant being dropped and i cannot see Brezovan being in the starting lineup for Leeds as anything more than a tactical decision as he is taller, therefore can command his box and deal with crosses well.
Have also been told this by Swindon fans that Brezovan is a liability. Can be utter class one moment, utter clown the next, which we have already seen this season.
Giving away the penalty at Exeter, saving the penalty at Exeter, dropping it to the feet of a Wycombe player, playing an apparent blinder at Leeds, aimlessly lobbing the ball somewhere vaguely near Virgo when we are holding on with 10 mins left at Leeds etc.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Agreed.
I think FDM did very little to warrant being dropped and i cannot see Brezovan being in the starting lineup for Leeds as anything more than a tactical decision as he is taller, therefore can command his box and deal with crosses well.
Have also been told this by Swindon fans that Brezovan is a liability. Can be utter class one moment, utter clown the next, which we have already seen this season.
Giving away the penalty at Exeter, saving the penalty at Exeter, dropping it to the feet of a Wycombe player, playing an apparent blinder at Leeds, aimlessly lobbing the ball somewhere vaguely near Virgo when we are holding on with 10 mins left at Leeds etc.

I wasn't suprised that Michel was dropped because he has been below his usual high standards lately and the goals against Norwich were disappointing. It was a bit harsh, though, considering we'd only conceeded a handful of goals with Michel in the side.

I would say I saw the highlights of 90% of the Swindon games last season and would have to say that Brezovan on form and with confidence is a good goalkeeper, but his concentration is lacking and he doesn't have confidence consistently. He's inexperienced aswell, which doesn't help him. But he's not what you need when you're battling relegation like we are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I was one, if not the only one, who suggested a 4 -5 - 1 formation at Leeds I would stick with that and replace Virgo with El Abd and put McNulty on the bench.

Although I did put FDM in my suggested team

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
As I was one, if not the only one, who suggested a 4 -5 - 1 formation at Leeds I would stick with that and replace Virgo with El Abd and put McNulty on the bench.

Although I did put FDM in my suggested team

You weren't the only one, I pipped you to that formation by 5 days. :p

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Don't think Kuips will be back in.El Abd in for Virgo somewhere in the back four and Jimmy Mac on the bench.Murray to start on his own up front.
See what occurs and take it from there.Sounds simple doesn't it!!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Brezovan
Calderon Elphick Painter McNulty
Bennett Crofts Dicker LuaLua
Forster Murray

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As I was one, if not the only one, who suggested a 4 -5 - 1 formation at Leeds

Unfounded arrogance. I think you'll find most people knew we would switch to 4-5-1 and you can look at this thread, if you disagree with me.

Are we changing our formation? - North Stand Chat

On the 15th people started talking 4-5-1, largely because Poyet basically told us he was going to change to that system. To think you were "one, if not the only one" who thought we'd make the change is just stupid.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
kuipers back between the sticks... because he's our best keeper
painter in at centre half with mcnulty coming in at left back... because he's a far far far better left back than el abd
cox back in the squad

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
Brezovan is, and always will be, a complete liability and not worth the risk.

Kuipers
Calderon
Elphick
El-Abd
Painter
Bennett
Crofts
Navarro
Dicker
Lua-Lua
Murray

Forster on the bench, McNulty back there aswell. Brezovan can resume bench warming duties.

this would be my suggestion as we:falmer:ll

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Would definately stay 4-5-1 as we can easily change this around if we go behind. As long as the two wide players support Murray this is a good system. If we take a point from this game with Exeter to come on Saturday it would be a good result IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here