Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for the Brentford match

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
i've had this thought too, but it only takes one long COVID or perhaps worse, and you realise what a terrible idea it was

Yes I agree, and they have to consider their family as well as themselves.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I'll have a guess

" Well Welbz and Webbo are doing really well but this game comes a little too soon for them, Adams hair has recovered well and he's fine for Brentford, Connolly's feeling his ankle but should be ok, sadly Veltz will be missing due to ill health and we can't find Maupay, the last time we saw him he was being bundled into a cab by Brentfords physio and chief steward, the players are training well and now we've put the goals in their correct position on the pitch we're confident our XG will improve dramatically, in hindsight it was probably not a good idea to employ a hockey player as head groundsman.

Sanchez
Lamptey
Duffy
Roberts
Burn
Cuccarella
MacAllister
Mwepu
Lallana
Trossard
Maupay

Subs Steele Moder Alzate March Burn Gross Richards Connolly Ferguson

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'll have a guess

" Well Welbz and Webbo are doing really well but this game comes a little too soon for them, Adams hair has recovered well and he's fine for Brentford, Connolly's feeling his ankle but should be ok, sadly Veltz will be missing due to ill health and we can't find Maupay, the last time we saw him he was being bundled into a cab by Brentfords physio and chief steward, the players are training well and now we've put the goals in their correct position on the pitch we're confident our XG will improve dramatically, in hindsight it was probably not a good idea to employ a hockey player as head groundsman.

Sanchez
Lamptey
Duffy
Roberts
Burn
Cuccarella
MacAllister
Mwepu
Lallana
Trossard
Maupay

Subs Steele Moder Alzate March Burn Gross Richards Connolly Ferguson

About time we saw something of Laurent Tolaj our Swiss Kosovan striker, been scoring goals for fun in the Under 23's. With nine substitues being named it's about time he had his chance.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Was Maupay missing against Wolves because of Covid? If so he’s likely to still not be ready to start, if fit to compete at all.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Was Maupay missing against Wolves because of Covid? If so he’s likely to still not be ready to start, if fit to compete at all.

Indeed. As l understand it the four players missing through Covid for the Wolves game, were Maupay, Gross, Steele, and Locadia, although someone may wish to correct me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

We don't know for sure, but it's not unlikely given his non-availability.
He was out vs Wolves on 15 Dec. The requirement is that you self-isolate for 10 days after a positive test. That doesn't mean that he won't be available for Brentford on 26 Dec.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Brentford have 0 cases in their first team squad

We don't know for sure, but it's not unlikely given his non-availability.
He was out vs Wolves on 15 Dec. The requirement is that you self-isolate for 10 days after a positive test. That doesn't mean that he won't be available for Brentford on 26 Dec.

Maupay was pictured in a taxi yesterday, so he is at least 'out and about'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not necessarily…..there’s a lot of assumptions in that. He might well have been completely asymptomatic and unaffected health-wise, might have tested positive a few days before Wolves (rumours were circulating it was him days before the game) and in any event the fixture is 10 days after the Wolves game.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Hopefully the below are available

----------------------Sanchez
--------------Veltman Duffy Burn
Lamptey MacAllister Mwepu Cuccerella
-----------------------Lallana
---------------Trossard Maupay

3 at the back clearly our best formation
Pace on the flanks
Lallana in the hole
Trossard where he can cause some damage

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
back 4 with Duffy and Roberts in centre may work well - one tall one fast - who knows with Potter ball though ...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think Welbeck and Maupay have to start, with Trossard in behind them. We have to be looking to go out and pound them into submission, no passing it around with one shot on target in the first half, no pissing around with it at the back allowing their strikers to even get a sniff. This is a game we have to show meaningful dominance in, and get a meaningful result. Our usual profligacy cannot be acceptable, to the fans or the manager.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think Welbeck and Maupay have to start, with Trossard in behind them. We have to be looking to go out and pound them into submission, no passing it around with one shot on target in the first half, no pissing around with it at the back allowing their strikers to even get a sniff. This is a game we have to show meaningful dominance in, and get a meaningful result. Our usual profligacy cannot be acceptable, to the fans or the manager.

Agreed, good opportunity to clinch an elusive win. The problem is no Biss, but that's aided by five returnees.
Torn between 3412 and 4312 as a formation, both of which presuppose that Welbeck and Maupay can start. I think if we play those three at top, our likelihood of goals is that much better. I've moaned about our return from midfield too long. So one of these:

-------------------- Sanchez --------------------
------ Webster ----- Duffy ------ Burn* ------
Lamptey -- Moder -- Mwepu -- Cucurella
-------------------- Trossard --------------------
---------- Maupay -------------- Welbeck ----

------------------ Sanchez ----------------------
Lamptey -- Duffy -- Webster -- Cucurella
------- Mwepu ---- Moder ---- Lallana ------
------------------- Trossard ----------------------
---------- Maypay --------------- Welbeck ----

*if Veltman fit, I'd start him playing him as RCB and Web as LCB

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports