Team for Saints

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No one on the wing (4-4-2)

Early, it is almost time for the **** Official Thread ****

Four star game.

I would put in two banks of four in a 4-4-2.

181111135555.png

Like:

Ireland: defensive, and no reason to change | Zonal Marking

Bilic showed how to play away from home with a 4-4-2 – he ordered his players to sit deep, then break quickly down the flanks through the wide players, and also paid attention to Turkey’s spare midfielder, Inan, and dropped one or both strikers close to him. The work rate of the front two, the directness of Srna and the discipline of Dujmovic were also vital.

Turkey 0-3 Croatia: Bilic shows how to play a 4-4-2 against a 4-3-3 | Zonal Marking

Except as you cannot play on both wings at the same time, one midfielder can drop back, or in the classic 4-4-2 both wingers drop back in midfield and you have no wingers at all. Or one winger goes wide and the target man drops deep.

Subs: Ankergren, Dunk, Paynter, Painter, Vincelot (perhaps Kazenga)

assuming, Hoskins and Vicente are both unfit. If Reyes is unfit, Painter starts on the left. I don't know about the team but anything other than a 4-4-2 and Gus is being exceptionally courageous.

Last edited:

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
It would be so great if (apart from the two Gary's) the rest were really fit, as Gus alluded to. My team then would be:-

Harper
Calderon Greer Dunk Tarricco
Bridcutt
Noone Jara Reyes Vicente Buckley
CMS

subs:-
Ankergren
El Abd
Vincelot
Sparrow
Paynter

Job done!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
1. Harper
2. Calderon
3. Tarricco
4. Bridcutt
5. Greer
6. Dunk
7. Buckley
8. Vicente
9. M-Smith
10. Reyes
11. Noone

4-2-3-1

Reyes and Bridcutt protecting the back four, Buckley, Noone and Vicente playing behind CMS.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I don't know what Adkins will do regarding two positions, the other 8 are pretty predictable providing their arn't injuries.

------------------------------Davis

Dont know----------Fonte------Hooiveld------------Fox

Chaplow--------Don't know---Don't know---------Lallana

-------------------Guly-------Lambert

I don't know who Adkins will put at right back. Richardson has played more games, but he may do what he did against boro and bring Butterfield in because he has the ability to put a cross in from deep, whereas Richardson tends to beat his man and get to the by-line. With our height and ability in the air upfont, i think we'll look to get as many crosses in as possible so I think he'll got with Butterfield.

Midfield I can't name, our midfield work on a rotation basis, but I can't remember who played the last couple of games, will be 2 of Hammond, Cork and Schneiderlin.

I thought we were playing Dagaham and Redbridge?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Do you really want to start two players with no match fitness against us?

2 weeks with no game, no-one has match fitness......last saturday get these two to run and twist and turn for 90 minutes and for me they are match fit.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
On our OS, we have two players out, not sure who mind.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Interesting that the Saints fan is talking up the physical statue of his team which unsurprisingly confirms they will stick to hoof ball.

I do fear their big lumps in midfield will look to kick Vicente off the park. If he survives then it could be very tasty as he has the touches to make them look very silly. The one thing that seems to get our boys going is a bit of physical stuff. With three latins and a big Jock at the back we won't be shy of dishing some out. Maybe Dunk will return too. Can see this one ending with plenty of yellow cards and maybe a red or two, especially if we get under their skin.

Talking of match fitness I hope the Saints back four are fit because Buckley, CMS and Nooney will feed off Vicente and give them a real run around. CMS will fancy his chances after the fun he had for Posh against the Saints last season.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Interesting that the Saints fan is talking up the physical statue of his team which unsurprisingly confirms they will stick to hoof ball.

I do fear their big lumps in midfield will look to kick Vicente off the park. If he survives then it could be very tasty as he has the touches to make them look very silly. The one thing that seems to get our boys going is a bit of physical stuff. With three latins and a big Jock at the back we won't be shy of dishing some out. Maybe Dunk will return too. Can see this one ending with plenty of yellow cards and maybe a red or two, especially if we get under their skin.

Talking of match fitness I hope the Saints back four are fit because Buckley, CMS and Nooney will feed off Vicente and give them a real run around. CMS will fancy his chances after the fun he had for Posh against the Saints last season.
Shame we haven't got a Warren Aspinall type player in our team ie a gobby, niggly little bastard.....El-Abd is missed.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Having looked at your team on paper, I have to fancy us for this one i'm afraid. It will all depend on how your back four cope with out front four and how well your midfield track and close down our two in the middle, and then how well your CB's can cope with crosses into the box. I'm actually suprised by the amount of attacking options we have this year.

What is that team size wise? from our 11 players over 6ft will include: Fonte, Hooiveld, Hammond, Schneiderlin/Cork, Lambert and Guly. Will this be advantageous to us at set plays?[/QUOTE

Ah yes, players over 6ft - the secret to success in the Championship, the one remaining league in the world where football is played the truly English way - FFS!!!

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
We don't play 'hoof ball,' we mix it up. We play the ball around nicely and keep posession and try to build an attack, but if we need to, we'll put it up to lambert or put crosses in from deep. Can't deny the fact it's worked a treat this season. If Vicente does play, I would probably expect to see Chaplow and Hammond put some hefty tackles in on him.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Having looked at your team on paper, I have to fancy us for this one i'm afraid. It will all depend on how your back four cope with out front four and how well your midfield track and close down our two in the middle, and then how well your CB's can cope with crosses into the box. I'm actually suprised by the amount of attacking options we have this year.

What is that team size wise? from our 11 players over 6ft will include: Fonte, Hooiveld, Hammond, Schneiderlin/Cork, Lambert and Guly. Will this be advantageous to us at set plays?[/QUOTE

Ah yes, players over 6ft - the secret to success in the Championship, the one remaining league in the world where football is played the truly English way - FFS!!!

What, balls whipped into the box for others to get onto?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here