Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for Pompey. Changes? Or keep winning side?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Strongest side. Unlike the JPT and League cups (which clutter up midweek) the FA Cup matches are played on Saturdays. If there wasn't a game, if we had been knocked out by Woking or FCUM (as some of our more moronic 'fans' wanted) people would now be moaning about a blank Saturday and wondering if the players would go 'off the boil'.

Are Yeovil still in the cup then?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It'll be roughly the same team, only 2 or 3 changes, some enforced (Noone cuptied).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Brovian - wouldn't we be playing if we weren't in the Cup? Can't recall the oppo - Yeovil? [edited - have seen sage's above]

Have never had a season where I didn't care about the cup, but this year I'd like us to get through this game with no injuries, doing ourselves justice and with our form still bubbling away. So full strength side for me. Do not want a draw.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Although I think it will be a tough game, i'd like to see a full strength side out. If we can win and get a decent away draw then Gus will hopefully be allocated more money in his budget before the transfer window closes.

If Gus is going to put a weakened team out then he is taking us for mugs at £21 a throw. I don't believe that will happen though.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I've got a feeling that Gus will ring the changes tbh, but I'm hoping he keeps things pretty much as they are. I do expect Brez to get the nod though, and perhaps A E-A to play at full-back if Tanno doesn't recover from his knock. Tommy 'Kaiser' Elphick must be chomping at the bit for some 1st team combat, but then there's Lewis Dunk ain't there?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
Would like Gus to play the strongest team possible. Although the most important task this season is obviously promotion, I still value the FA Cup and it would be a brilliant chance to progress further by beating pompey! As pointed out, the disruption of a winning side by changing it around too much may also have an effect on the league, which we don't need.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Full strength (available) team out please. Pompey are there for the taking - and who knows who we'd get next. As long as we avoid the pratfall of any remaining non-league team in the fourth round we are plenty capable of going on a serious cup run. Or at least getting another much welcomed payday.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For what its worth I would like minimal changes (maybe Dunk deserves a go after his excellent perf against Soton and give El Abd a well deserved rest*) as at the moment Pompey are a mid table Champ outfit and we need to test our credentials.

*By that I mean he has been superb and must be knackered.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Same team as they are an attacking side with no depth, and we love to counter attack. I'd start our best keeper Brez like we have in cups, and probably try to have Kish play first 65 mins in centre mid for his experience. If need be play Bridcutt at RB as think Kish will be the big player and need him at the heart of things. Other than that same side with of course Murray or better Murray and Barnes upfront, not any of the others strikers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Full strength (available) team out please. Pompey are there for the taking - and who knows who we'd get next. As long as we avoid the pratfall of any remaining non-league team in the fourth round we are plenty capable of going on a serious cup run. Or at least getting another much welcomed payday.

Why are they "there for the taking"? They started this season poorly but have been pretty good since and aren't a million miles from the play offs now. Otherwise I do agree with you on full strength team, although it will be Brezovan in goal.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think he'll go with the sort of team that turned out against Woking & FCUM; only this tme the psychology will be different in that we're the underdogs, taking the pressure off to win. There'll also be no shame in losing to a Championship side [unless they wipe the floor with us and I can't see Gus allowing that to happen]

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Why are they "there for the taking"? They started this season poorly but have been pretty good since and aren't a million miles from the play offs now. Otherwise I do agree with you on full strength team, although it will be Brezovan in goal.

I agree they could be there for the taking.
As you say they are quite near the play offs, but they dont have enough players on their books to fill the subs bench, so they must be feeling jaded after the Xmas period because they aren't able to squad rotate.
At Withdean and with a strong team I would say it is reasonably even stevens

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I think Pompey are there for the taking because the Albion tend to raise their game when they're going into a game against a 'big' team. Then the Albion fighting spirit really kicks in. Can't see Saturday being any exception.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I don't think the 4-5-1 system should be used against Pompey - it wasn't working against Exeter. Go for the jugular with two wingers (perhaps with Bennett in his free role), perhaps dropping Dicker, who was off the pace yesterday. Certainly have Kish as back-up in midfield if we need to strengthen there, though Dicker could do that from the bench. Pompey will not fancy this game after two bad defeats.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Brez over Ank as we play our best keeper in cups, Kish in central midfield for his experience which think will be vital in this game. Might mean having to play Bridcutt at RB if no other option? Other than that same team though yes. These are all versions of our set team as we rotate slightly all the time and think our set 1st team is more like a system with 14 starting players. Maybe Barnes upfront?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Brez

Tanno
Dunk
Greer
Painter

Bennett
Kitchenchef
Bridcutt
Dicker

Barnes
Murray

Bench: Elph, Sandaza, Holroyd, Wood if not allowed then Hart, Baz, Ankergren, Smith?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here