Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team For Newcastle

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Dont think Lamptey will start, dont think Duffy will be put on the bench and I think Maupay is going to start.

I agree. We won’t risk Lamptey from the start. We’ll start with a back four with Veltman and no ghost number 9. If Newcastle are defending deep, we’re not going to be able to slide passes through congested space to runners. See Man City v Palace for evidence. Maupay will play. But Lamptey will come on and cause chaos. March too, Gross also. We’re in a good place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree. We won’t risk Lamptey from the start. We’ll start with a back four with Veltman and no ghost number 9. If Newcastle are defending deep, we’re not going to be able to slide passes through congested space to runners. See Man City v Palace for evidence. Maupay will play. But Lamptey will come on and cause chaos. March too, Gross also. We’re in a good place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or do you mean we're in a good moment? :)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Cant understand people who complain about his set pieces. They are as good as it gets.

Just can’t agree with that, they have been poor this season. The chances he’s ‘created’ from set peices have not been easy ones at all, it’s not like last season where we missed a load of sitters.

He’s taken more corners and free kicks in total than virtually every player in the PL so far this season and we’ve only scored 1 from them. And that with some dangerous players in the box. They’ve just not been accurate enough or delivered at the right speed, been easy to defend against.

When March or Trossard have had the rare opportunity to take them, we’ve looked more dangerous. We’ve scored as many goals from Trossard’s deliveries as we have Gross, despite Gross taking many, many more.

It’s something we need to work on as we know we don’t get enough goals spread around the team at the moment and are so reliant on Maupay and Trossard to score. We get a lot of corners and free kicks and to have only scored from 2 of them all season is a bit disappointing, especially with Dunk, Duffy and Webster in the box.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just can’t agree with that, they have been poor this season. The chances he’s ‘created’ from set peices have not been easy ones at all, it’s not like last season where we missed a load of sitters.

He’s taken more corners and free kicks in total than virtually every player in the PL so far this season and we’ve only scored 1 from them. And that with some dangerous players in the box. They’ve just not been accurate enough or delivered at the right speed, been easy to defend against.

When March or Trossard have had the rare opportunity to take them, we’ve looked more dangerous. We’ve scored as many goals from Trossard’s deliveries as we have Gross, despite Gross taking many, many more.

It’s something we need to work on as we know we don’t get enough goals spread around the team at the moment and are so reliant on Maupay and Trossard to score. We get a lot of corners and free kicks and to have only scored from 2 of them all season is a bit disappointing, especially with Dunk, Duffy and Webster in the box.

That Tross cross for Welbeck's goal was a delight, granted, but you seem to have ignored the data that Swanny was responding to: Gross has created the most chances in the PL this season. Just dwell on that.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That Tross cross for Welbeck's goal was a delight, granted, but you seem to have ignored the data that Swanny was responding to: Gross has created the most chances in the PL this season. Just dwell on that.

* outside of the 'big 6'. I don't understand why these outside of big 6 stats come up so often to be honest when I understand that includes Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd and also games against these sides. I love stats but these are odd and not really relevant.

No I've not ignored the data at all and that stat includes open play as well as set pieces. He's played some lovely passes which have created chances, I'm not debating that, just his set pieces which I don't think have been good enough and it should be a decent source of goals for us with the players we have.

To be honest though he should be up there in that table playing for the side in 8th and with the volume of corners and free kicks he's taken, one of the highest numbers in the whole league, and the size of our players in the middle. I honestly don't think his set pieces have been a good quality this season, we've wasted lots of good opportunities. We've scored just 2 goals from set pieces this season, one of the lowest numbers in the league, and just 1 goal from his. And it's not like last season where we were missing sitters, we haven't been doing that this season.

They've really not been good at all, just look through the match threads.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Disagree. Cant just look at the goals: a more telling figure is "how many times did Duffy pound his fist into the grass because he knows he missed a very good opportunity".

Brighton stats:

Number of chances created from set pieces: 22 (4th most in the league)
Number of goals created from set pieces: 2 (2nd most, shared with 6 other teams)
Number of corners: 53 (8th in the league), Free kicks: 81 (19th in the league)

How about Pascal then?

Number of chances per 90 created from set pieces: 1.88 (2nd in the league behind Brentfords Mathias Jensen)

All he can do is deliver the ball to someone able to head it or shoot it and he has done it very well. I struggle to blame him for the team scoring a normal number of goals from set pieces.

... because they are a great source with valuable, balanced information.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
* outside of the 'big 6'. I don't understand why these outside of big 6 stats come up so often to be honest when I understand that includes Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd and also games against these sides. I love stats but these are odd and not really relevant.

No I've not ignored the data at all and that stat includes open play as well as set pieces. He's played some lovely passes which have created chances, I'm not debating that, just his set pieces which I don't think have been good enough and it should be a decent source of goals for us with the players we have.

To be honest though he should be up there in that table playing for the side in 8th and with the volume of corners and free kicks he's taken, one of the highest numbers in the whole league, and the size of our players in the middle. I honestly don't think his set pieces have been a good quality this season, we've wasted lots of good opportunities. We've scored just 2 goals from set pieces this season, one of the lowest numbers in the league, and just 1 goal from his. And it's not like last season where we were missing sitters, we haven't been doing that this season.

I have to agree with Swanny. I don't think there's been a deterioration with Gross' set piece delivery this season. I think a more pertinent issue is something else that Swanny mentions, which is that Duffy's accuracy with his headers isn't top notch. But this is all bound up with how the vast majority view Duffy which is that he's exemplary, a 'proper defender' who does what defenders are supposed to do (things have moved on from that), gets a lot of blocks in (he's outstanding at that, although by no means alone with our defenders) and wins a lot of headers (that's undoubtedly the case, but they all too rarely go where we want them to go -- and that's not just this season).

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Couldn’t be there for this one, I would appreciate a pm link please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here