Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brez

Calde Greer Cook Vincelot

Bridcutt Navarro

Hoskins Vicente Noone

CMS​

The Spanish exponents of tippy-tappy footbal eshew 4-2-3-1. It is in their manifesto.

The Question: is the box-to-box midfielder dead? | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Now, I do not want to turn the clock back to pre-Poyet. 4-2-3-1 is too narrow. Now I would never play two wingers, only one is needed (as you cannot play on both wings at the same time), but no wingers at all? Two holding midfielders?

Play 4-3-3 with just one winger (and a box-to box midfielder). Or 4-4-2 with a midfielder and part-time winger (same player)?

16. Casper Ankergren
14. Iñigo Calderón 20. Romain Vincelot 3. Gordon Greer 22. Marcos Painter
26. Liam Bridcutt
??? ???
12. Craig Mackail-Smith 9. Ashley Barnes ???

We need one or more of the following: Buckley, Dicker, Noone, to take the corners and set pieces.

I think the reason why we were top of the table not so long ago was because we played easy teams.

Last edited:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I'm with you on this apart from keeping with Casper - the lesser of two evils in my opinion.
Sadly, I just couldn't pick either Painter or Dicker. Dicker is simply not sharp enough at the moment and Painter is simply too slow for this division. Sad but true.

Threads on here already about Dicker and Painter's lack of pace, but Navarro is even slower! Possibly the biggest problem with the squad is a general lack of pace, so can't see haw Nav is going to help.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ankergren (needs replacing but no option yet)
Vincelot
Painter
Greer
Calderon
Bridcutt
Navarro
Sparrow
Noone
Mackail-Smith
Hoskins

Give Sparrow, Navarro and Hoskins the chance. Navarro especially deserves a place in the side, he hasn't ever let us down under Gus. Last chance for Sparrow too I would say, much as I like him.

jharris

Feb 27, 2009
team needs to be as similar to the one that beat Cardiff. Back to basics.
Ankergren
Calderon Greer Vincelot Painter
Bridcutt
Sparrow Navarro Dicker
Barnes Mackail-Smith

subs
Noone
Vicente
Hoskins
Cook
Brezovan

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In the too distant hazy past when I played football, I used to like marking players like Dicker, cause he is so predictable. And he is not that fast that he can beat his opponents by speed of reactions. The players I would hate to play against would be Buckley still predictable, so much a better athlete that although I know what he was going to do, I could not stop him.

A forward or winger would always be expected to beat his opposing full back (well most of the time), but a clever full back can make the attacker go inside or outside, and then the covering defender could cut out the threat, or a really good full back would be able to recover and challenge, sometimes even after attempting a tackle, not diving straight in like a berserker. And a very very clever full back would cut out the ball before it got to the winger in the first place.

Bearing this in mind, I like to play a winger if we can. And our full backs are not too bad at all. I was not too happy about Greer with Mc Cormack's first goal. He was the covering defender. The full back was not beaten.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I would go with...

Ankergren
Calderon Vancelot Greer Painter

Bridcutt Sparrow

Barnes CMS Noone

Subs:
Brezovan
Lualua
Navarro
Hoskins
Cook

That's just showing off. I think it would be seen as rather arrogant only fielding 10 men from the start.

"10 men. We only need 10 men, we only need 10 ....."

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
My choice:
Ankergren
Calde-Greer-Cook-Tanno
Bridcutt-Navs
Hoskins-Vicente-Noone
CMS

Subs:
Brez-Painter-Vincelot-Lua Lua-Barnes

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'd go.

Ankergren
Calde Greer Cook Painter
Bridcutt Vincelot
Barnes Vicente Noone
CMS

Subs: KLL, Hoskins, Navarro, Dicker and Brez.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
1. Ankergren
2. Calderon
3. Painter
4. Bridcutt
5. Greer
6. Dunk
7. Vicente
8. Barnes
9. M-Smith
10. Navarro
11. Noone

4-2-2-2

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
. Navarro especially deserves a place in the side, he hasn't ever let us down under Gus. Last chance for Sparrow too I would say, much as I like him.

Why? Navarro is slower than any player that we have in midfield and with Sparrow both have had their chances and not impressed. Send them on loan to a Div 1 side like Orient.

Ankergren

Calderon
Greer
Cook
Painter (nobody else avaialble)

Buckley if fit if not Harley
Bridcut
Vincelot
Noone

Hoskins
CMS

subs:

Brezovan or Poke doesnt matter
Barnes
Vicente
Tarrico/Harley if Buckley is fit
Dicker

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
-----------Ankergren------------

Calderon---Cook--Greer---Vincelot

---------Bridcutt--Navarro--------

Noone-------Barnes------Vicente

-------------CMS---------------

If Barnes isn't working, either replace him with Hoskins, or move Vicente in just behind CMS and put LuaLua on the wing. Either way, Hoskins needs a run out. We need to see what he can do for at least 45 minutes.

Thinking about this makes me realise how much I miss Buckley.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Buckley hamstring.

Tight - 1 week
Tweak - 2 weeks
Pull - 3 weeks
Tear - 4 to 6 weeks

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Brezovan! hahahahahaha! I've cheered up now! Anway...

-------------Ankergren-------------

Calderon - Greer - Cook - Painter

---------------Bridcutt--------------

-------Vincelot-------Navarro------

--------<-------Noone------->-----

---Hoskins/Barnes----CMS--------

Subs
Hoskins/Barnes
Tarrico
Vicente
Sparrow
Brez

Harley. KLL and Dicker are not doing nearly enough for me at the moment, so drop out of the squad. It's quite an interesting challenge, picking a side for us. The squad has no balance. Three left wingers, one injured right winger, no in form attacking midfielders and only one genuine defensive midfielder. Not easy to fix this, but someone HAS to play up top with CMS and they have to hit him earlier down the channels.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
pretty conclusive that the majority agree Vicente should now be starting, mainly in the middle, this would be great

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here