Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Everton (a)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I didn't see the 343 or 3421 that everyone is talking about in the Japan games.

So, without knowing what formation we're going to be playing it's kind if difficult to predict the line up!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't want this reply to sound dismissive as that's not the intent. On the contrary, it's great to see this thread back and I can't wair for the season to start. International football is a Poundland substitute.

I've lost a bit of track of who we've signed, where they play and all the rest of it. I'm not going to attempt to work it out and neither do I really care as I don't know who is any good yet. I'm just really looking forward to Everton away and wondering who the bloke running around on the wing is and working out what formation we are actually playing. I'm not looking forward to Dyche ball but you can't have everything.
Yep, too early to be predicting line ups but I can’t wait for the season proper. Early alarm, some unholy booze on the train from Euston, Ship & Mitre, stumbling to the bus shuttle, seeing if my seat’s still free, working out the new song someone’s made up at 160bpm and trying to get back to town in time for the London train.

Oh, and a game of football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree with most of the above, but I'm surprised Milner isn't being mentioned by anyone.
I expect him to be a starter as I think his experience and football intelligence will be wanted to help organise things on the field.
He can assist Fab from the dugout.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I didn't see the 343 or 3421 that everyone is talking about in the Japan games.

So, without knowing what formation we're going to be playing it's kind if difficult to predict the line up!
The formation was difficult to describe in both games. It’s much like asking someone to describe the state of a flicked coin in mid air. Heads or tails? Well it’s both. It depends on the split second of observation.

Unlike the orthodoxy of De Zerbi, we had midfielders at centre back and attacking midfielders or wingers as central midfielders. Player selection certainty reminded me of Potter where suddenly, your perception of what a player’s best position is ends up on it’s head.

But Hürzeler is an inverse Potter if anything. Where we saw central midfielders and defenders played on the flanks by the Chelsea Traitor, our new man is surely going to use natural centre backs and central midfielders very little indeed. We seemed to be playing one centre back most of the time supported by a central midfielder. Wing backs were moving into central defensive midfield positions as well as sometimes working the overlap on the wing.

I’d be very surprised if Hürzeler plays more than two traditional centre backs and one traditional central midfielder against Everton.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don't want this reply to sound dismissive as that's not the intent. On the contrary, it's great to see this thread back and I can't wair for the season to start. International football is a Poundland substitute.

I've lost a bit of track of who we've signed, where they play and all the rest of it. I'm not going to attempt to work it out and neither do I really care as I don't know who is any good yet. I'm just really looking forward to Everton away and wondering who the bloke running around on the wing is and working out what formation we are actually playing. I'm not looking forward to Dyche ball but you can't have everything.
Top bombing, Piggle; with those expressed sentiments you speak for us all.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Is this the end for Veltman?
Versatility is on his side. He can do a good job at centre back.

But judging by the positions the right wing back player took up in the Japan friendlies (defensive midfielder etc), I think he has the passing game to play that role. The slight concern would be when we lose possession and the team have to reform into a 5-4-1 low block. Would he always have the pace to get back in defence quick enough? I doubt it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The formation was difficult to describe in both games. It’s much like asking someone to describe the state of a flicked coin in mid air. Heads or tails? Well it’s both. It depends on the split second of observation.

Unlike the orthodoxy of De Zerbi, we had midfielders at centre back and attacking midfielders or wingers as central midfielders. Player selection certainty reminded me of Potter where suddenly, your perception of what a player’s best position is ends up on it’s head.

But Hürzeler is an inverse Potter if anything. Where we saw central midfielders and defenders played on the flanks by the Chelsea Traitor, our new man is surely going to use natural centre backs and central midfielders very little indeed. We seemed to be playing one centre back most of the time supported by a central midfielder. Wing backs were moving into central defensive midfield positions as well as sometimes working the overlap on the wing.

I’d be very surprised if Hürzeler plays more than two traditional centre backs and one traditional central midfielder against Everton.
In the game against Tokyo Verdy the first half was fairly orthodox. A 4-4-2 that segued into 244 or 424 depending on the situation.

The second half was more maverick. I couldn't work out who was playing where or what they were supposed to be doing(apart from thr back 4, I had a fairly solid grasp there).

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
--------------------- Steele --------------------
--------- JPVH ----------------- Dunk ---------
-------------------- Wieffer --------------------
Hinsh ----- Baleba ---------------------- Barco
----------------------------- Pedro -------------
Minteh ----------- Welbeck ---------- Mitoma

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All the players who didn't play in Japan and weren't on international duty in the summer i'm assuming won't be fit to start, so that includes, Pedro, Wieffer, Moder.

-----------------Steele
Lamptey -- Van Hecke -- Dunk -- Barco
---------------- Milner
----------Baleba --- Buonanotte
Minteh -----------------------Adingra
---------------Welbeck

I've also predicted the shock selection of Adingra over Mitoma.

Buonanotte to take a floating position and actually be up with Welbeck for longer than he's next to Baleba

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No idea on the team for Everton - don't know who's going to be at the club by then! I know the team changes season on season, but this year there seem to be so many changes that I feel a strange disconnect. That'll go once the season starts, I hope.
The only 'Team for Everton' suggestion I would make would be Rushworth in goal - he can still go out on a top level loan before the window, err.....slams shut.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Few mentions of Veltman. Out of Hinsch and Lampty he is the better defender and can cover at CB and better and defending corners. I would play him in a tough away game and bring one of others if we are behind

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here