Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team against Chelsea?

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
Chelsea aren't all that, obviously stronger than us but by no means a lost cause. I'd go:

Sanchez

Lamptey
Burn
Webster
Duffy
Cucurella

Bissouma
Mwepu
Moder
March

Maupay

But, to be fair, I see your point on rotation and am immediately doubting my selection. So my opinion ultimately means jackshit and this post was a waste of time.

Your last paragraph made me laugh, so many times I write a post, then get to the end and delete it as I feel it's a waste of time but you just ploughed on and posted it anyway, fair play 👍👏

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If I was in charge, I'd bin it.

Rest everyone who can or should be rested and then go for the Everton game.

Hopefully Duffy and/or Roberts can play because otherwise not much can be done in rotating the defense.

Historically, we do badly at both grounds, but marginally better at Chelsea than Everton, where I’m not sure we’ve even got a point.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Historically, we do badly at both grounds, but marginally better at Chelsea than Everton, where I’m not sure we’ve even got a point.

We've never won a league game at either, but we've done slightly better at Goodison Park where we had consecutive league draws away to Everton.

81-82 1-1
82-83 2-2

We've only ever got 1 draw at Chelsea, the 0-0 last season. Although we do have a win at Stamford Bridge when we won the Charity Shield against Villa in 1910.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Sanchez
Veltman
Webster
Burn
Cucarella
Bissouma
Lallana
Mwepu
MacAllister
March
Maupay

Subs Steele Duffy Roberts Welbeck Lamptey Ferguson Gross Alzate Moder Nice strong bench,for a absolute free hit of a game, give Danny another 30 minutes, save Tariq for Everton, and if we're losing by a couple with 10 to go perhaps a debut for Evan.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Let’s not forget that Chelsea are also playing games close together. We have a decent squad that can rotate, I’d bring Welbeck, Bissouma, March and Alzate into the starting XI.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sorry if mentioned before but were Veltman and Duffy out injured or was it Covid

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I can see Potter doing a full rotation on this one. I fancy us much more against Everton than Chelsea, where our record is absolutely abysmal. Our sole win against them ever was in the FA Cup - in 1933. We have drawn 3 and lost 12, scoring just five goals against them ever.

My prediction would be something like

Sanchez

Alzate
Webster
Burn
March

Groß
Richards
Bissouma
Mwepu
Leonard

Welbeck

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Mike Dean the ref and Kevin Friend on VAR.

What could possibly go wrong ? Lol.

Sanchez
Lamptey
Webster
Burn
Cucurella
Mwepu
Bissouma
Moder
Lallana
Mac Allister
Maupay

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I can see Potter doing a full rotation on this one. I fancy us much more against Everton than Chelsea, where our record is absolutely abysmal. Our sole win against them ever was in the FA Cup - in 1933. We have drawn 3 and lost 12, scoring just five goals against them ever.

My prediction would be something like

Sanchez

Alzate
Webster
Burn
March

Groß
Richards
Bissouma
Mwepu
Leonard

Welbeck
We would get a right dicking if we played a weakened team like that, let's not ruin our currently decent goal difference.
Don't forget the players had a week off by not playing Man U and Spurs, no need to wrap them up in cotton wool.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good time to play Chelsea. Lots of injuries. Probably still lose though.

3 yeses, still no excuse to throw it with kids.

A better than 50/50 chance of a point and a possibility of 3.

a back five with Duffy in the middle

Moder left, Gross right and Bissouma in the middle of midfield

Hopefully Trossard is fit. Otherwise Welbeck and Maupay.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We would get a right dicking if we played a weakened team like that, let's not ruin our currently decent goal difference.
Don't forget the players had a week off by not playing Man U and Spurs, no need to wrap them up in cotton wool.

Hmm, well out of those only Richards, Leonard and perhaps Alzate aren't regulars. Two of them are more attack minded midfielders, with the defensive responsibilities falling on Groß and Bissouma. If Veltman were fit in place of Alzate, suddenly that team looks a lot stronger.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Lots of people leaving Trossard out. Have I missed something on an injury? Otherwise I assume his withdrawal at half time was 'resting' him so he'd be ready for Chelsea.

Anyway, I'm more confident of getting points at Chelsea than at Everton, when do we ever do anything at Goodison? At least Chelsea are full of injuries at the moment. Shame if Duffy is not back to do a better job on Lukaku than Mings ever attempted.

I reckon Bissouma in for Lallana, Alzate in for Mac Allister and that's about it. But who knows, Gross, March and Welbeck could all get starts.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Lots of people leaving Trossard out. Have I missed something on an injury? Otherwise I assume his withdrawal at half time was 'resting' him so he'd be ready for Chelsea.

Anyway, I'm more confident of getting points at Chelsea than at Everton, when do we ever do anything at Goodison? At least Chelsea are full of injuries at the moment. Shame if Duffy is not back to do a better job on Lukaku than Mings ever attempted.

I reckon Bissouma in for Lallana, Alzate in for Mac Allister and that's about it. But who knows, Gross, March and Welbeck could all get starts.

He was subbed at half time because he felt some tightness, so precautionary rather than resting him. Hopefully it was just some tightness but Potter said they wouldn’t make a decision on him playing against Chelsea until the last minute. We won’t know for sure until the teams are announced but he is a doubt.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Probably something like....

Sanchez; Webster, Burn, Cucurella; Alzate, Bissouma, Gross, Mwepu/Moder, March; Maupay, Welbeck.

Can't see Lamptey or Trossard being risked.

Is Veltman definitely out? Having him back would be very useful.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sanchez
Veltman-Duffy-Webster
Lamptey-Bissouma-Moder-Cucurella
Mac Allister-Mwepu
Maupay​

Subs: Welbeck, Burn, Lallana, March, Trossard +

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Who's played the most minutes this season?

My money would be on Cucurella - he gets up and down a lot too - can we access the Km's covered by the players?

But as others have pointed out, having missed two games and Alzate, Webster, Gross & Welbeck fresh back from injury + under-used March, we can field a decent team ok ....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Who's played the most minutes this season?

My money would be on Cucurella - he gets up and down a lot too - can we access the Km's covered by the players?

But as others have pointed out, having missed two games and Alzate, Webster, Gross & Welbeck fresh back from injury + under-used March, we can field a decent team ok ....

I don't have the stats to mind, but Sanchez and Trossard will also feature highly in that list. Big Bob has only missed one game for his suspension. Pretty sure Tross has started all, and hasn't been taken off much either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here