Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teaching the way of the Albion

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
My wife and I adopted two small children, one girl one boy. I had always dreamt that my kids would follow the Albion and I bought my boy a replica kit and my girl other pink merchandise. But I worry that if I push it too much they will see it as a chore and find football and the Albion boring, but if I don't push it a little they won't get the interest.
What did other fathers on here do?

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Mine are still very young, but when they're old enough i'll take them along to games and show them it's more fun than sitting at home watching a team they've got no ties to. Spoil them a bit at the stadium, you know.
It worked on me, my nan had a little albion fund put aside and as soon as i showed an interest (doing the gillingham round trip on the bus a few times) she bought me a season ticket when we returned to Withdean.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
My boy is almost 2 and i dont think i'll have a problem getting him interested in Brighton as most of the family are BHA nuts. But i do wonder what age people on here think is a good age to take him to a game in the family stand. Without meaning to sound selfish, i do actually want to watch the game myself and not concentrating on him for 90 minutes. Im thinking 4 years old is about right???

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
My wife and I adopted two small children, one girl one boy. I had always dreamt that my kids would follow the Albion and I bought my boy a replica kit and my girl other pink merchandise. But I worry that if I push it too much they will see it as a chore and find football and the Albion boring, but if I don't push it a little they won't get the interest.
What did other fathers on here do?

In all seriousness, I think we all have best intentions at the outset. My strategy has been similar to yours in that you purchase the baby gro, then the toddler t shirts, and then move up from there. Ours have been signed up for Juniour seagulls virtually from birth. Despite what the old 'uns say, Gully and his siblings Sammy and Sally are incredibly popular and a good way of encouraging the very young. Mine are now 3 and 5 and have season tickets to see Gully in his house and the football team that play for him.

We've also got them saying "Hola Gus!" so they are muliti lingual as well!!! hahaha

You do have to be careful in the club shop though as pester power means you end up spending a fortune on pyjamas, toys, mugs the lot.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
In all seriousness, I think we all have best intentions at the outset. My strategy has been similar to yours in that you purchase the baby gro, then the toddler t shirts, and then move up from there. Ours have been signed up for Juniour seagulls virtually from birth. Despite what the old 'uns say, Gully and his siblings Sammy and Sally are incredibly popular and a good way of encouraging the very young. Mine are now 3 and 5 and have season tickets to see Gully in his house and the football team that play for him.

We've also got them saying "Hola Gus!" so they are muliti lingual as well!!! hahaha

You do have to be careful in the club shop though as pester power means you end up spending a fortune on pyjamas, toys, mugs the lot.

Why do your kids shout out my name??? lol

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
At that age I reckon once or twice a season is probably ample. I'd start taking them regularly from about 8 onwards. I took mine from the age of 4 or 5 onwards and in hindsight I wouldn't have got them season tickets until they were about 8 or 9.

As to getting them to become Brighton fans - Brainwash them. Make sure they get told who they support (often), make sure they know what a plastic premiership fan is and why they should be proud to support their local club. Take them to the open days and Albion soccer schools where they get to meet their heroes and try to take them to a game so they can see other children with a passion for the Albion (but take a Nintendo DS/PSP too). Also, sit down with them at home on Sunday mornings and watch the football league highlights of the Brighton game with them - cheering our every goal.

It's not a chore for them to put on their Albion tops around the house and when playing with their friends or to eat out of their Albion lunch box. By the time they are 10 years old then they will be hooked. Job done.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
My two are so switched on already to the religion that is the stripes, that at the Huddersfield game last season they asked why Sammy was still wearing the previous season's kit, when it had "obviously" been changed.

I think my job is done!

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
I have three girls in my life (wife and two girls) and none of them, I say NONE OF THEM like football at all. The Albion is mine, all mine I say.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
My next step ( as advised by a mate) is to enrole them into Gullys gang. My boy is now 4 and showing a slight interest and my daughter is 3 and showing no interest other than everything pink. My other hurdle is I live in Essex, but on the plus side we're on the ascendancy as a club and my boy loved that we won a trophy last season.

ryans father

Jul 19, 2005
East Sheen SW14
My son is just 6 and is going to his first game on Saturday.

We live in west london and he has been proud to wear his brighton kit amongst all the Chelsea and Man U shirts for 2 years. I have deliberately waited until falmer was built as I thought withdean might put him off for good.

He is a good little player and is mad keen which helps, but he is so excited, he asks me every day about how many days are left until the game.

New kit arrived for his 6th birthay today.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
My son is just 6 and is going to his first game on Saturday.

We live in west london and he has been proud to wear his brighton kit amongst all the Chelsea and Man U shirts for 2 years. I have deliberately waited until falmer was built as I thought withdean might put him off for good.

He is a good little player and is mad keen which helps, but he is so excited, he asks me every day about how many days are left until the game.

New kit arrived for his 6th birthay today.

And I'm sure he'll enjoy the day and the image of the stadium will live withhim forever. Even for us "grown ups" it's awesome, imagine what it must feel like for a young child going to their first game of football. Enjoy.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
My Dad hated football,it was'nt till I was 19 I got to see my first match in 1958,thankfully my son,after a brief flirt with Everton and Leeds saw the light and became an Albion nut,he has passed this on to my two great grandchildren...long may it continue....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mine started at 8 with season tickets and this went on till Junior stopped at 16 to get a Saturday job and Mini is still hanging in there

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I started taking my son to home matches from the age of 6,he had to suffer the mediocrity of the Wilkins/Adams era and would have to be forced and /or threatened to go to games,he has always chosen to wear Albion kit and merchandise and I decided to reward him by taking him to away games starting with Millwall and Leeds which he had mixed feelings about,but afterwards said he enjoyed it more because of the singing,but what really got the Albion hook in him was the trip to Villa park which he loved and is now very much blue&white stripped through and through and is a season ticket holder.I think also seeing the change in the Seagulls when Gus took over made a huge impact on him and now a lot of his mates are switching over from the usual Premiership teams.My daughter was much easier to brainwash into the Albion and has been to a couple of games but being only three wasn`t fully aware of what is going on but loved the fact she could make as much noise as she wanted without being told to shut-up.Both my kids have been lucky enough to meet the players and Gus and Tanno a couple of times,with my daughter pictured on the back of the Argus with Sir Gus last christmas.Pleased to say they are both 100% Albion.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Similar predicament for me. I have a 3 and half year old which I would say is too young to be taking to the football... I can imagine celebrations scaring the living day lights outta him, and he would never sit and watch football on TV so I'm thinking to sit and watch it for 90 minutes plus is asking a bit much!

He's in to Gully's Gang which I think is an outstanding idea and a great way of getting children interested, so I imagine that will be the main focus of our day if I were to take him to a game anytime soon.

Unfortunately due to the fact I'm a single dad, I haven't got a season ticket this year for these reasons which is obviously completely gutting! Hoping to make it to the odd game here and there though; could potentially make the Gills game but kinda want my first experience to be a game of some sort of importance which will help dictate a better atmosphere.

I'd guess that from maybe 5 onwards I will be okay to take him to games? Children differ considerably at young ages with regards to what they can/cannot handle so it really does depend on their attention span and also their braveness.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
loved the fact she could make as much noise as she wanted without being told to shut-up.

My godson (then aged about 4) was worried he was going to get told off for shouting. Then it took me till the end of the game to realise he thought we were calling to the birds!

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
class! Lol
I know! but he loved it and 2 years later still has vague memories of it, it was a 4-3 game which is a fantastic game for a child of that age because he wasn't really worried who scored but it was fun to watch the ball going in, nearly all the goals were in front of the family stand to.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
At that age I reckon once or twice a season is probably ample. I'd start taking them regularly from about 8 onwards. I took mine from the age of 4 or 5 onwards and in hindsight I wouldn't have got them season tickets until they were about 8 or 9.

As to getting them to become Brighton fans - Brainwash them. Make sure they get told who they support (often), make sure they know what a plastic premiership fan is and why they should be proud to support their local club. Take them to the open days and Albion soccer schools where they get to meet their heroes and try to take them to a game so they can see other children with a passion for the Albion (but take a Nintendo DS/PSP too). Also, sit down with them at home on Sunday mornings and watch the football league highlights of the Brighton game with them - cheering our every goal.

It's not a chore for them to put on their Albion tops around the house and when playing with their friends or to eat out of their Albion lunch box. By the time they are 10 years old then they will be hooked. Job done.

I like your advise, I'll brainwash him. :) My in-laws are West Ham fans and I was so chuffed that my lad told me that Hammers are rubbish and Seagulls brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here