Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teacher Strike

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Can't even reply to this shocking statement.

Consider your profession being completely abused due to propaganda from the government then by posters who believe what they read in Tory rags.

Good.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Can't even reply to this shocking statement.

Consider your profession being completely abused due to propaganda from the government then by posters who believe what they read in Tory rags.

Are you, or a member of your nuclear family, a teacher?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Being abused by those who don't know the profession other than what they read or knew from their own experiences, it is quite hard to not respond.

I have read this thread, tutted a lot, shaken my head in disbelief, but I have resisted the urge to respond. I've responded before in threads like this, but it's really not worth it.

We, as teachers, will always be scum in the eyes of certain myopic posters, Daily Mailers and Tory propagandists. Some have even called us the enemy within, and accused us of brainwashing children politically.

We know who we are, what we do and what needs to be done. We know what we are worth. So we will fight for it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Having trained in inner-city Birmingham in the early 90s where it was more a case of crowd control than teaching, I have absolute respect for any teacher that chooses to have their career in such a high-pressure environment on so many levels. The memories of teaching in the deprived area of Saltley just off the Alum Rock Road and being taxied to and from school as it was deemed too dangerous to walk are permanently etched in my mind.

My first post was as far removed from that as one could expect - rural agricultural Suffolk, a resident form tutor in an independent Prep School. Whilst the challenges were significantly different, the responsibility of acting professionally and at all times in loco parentis during weekends was considerable. We had a number of children with parents in the Armed Forces who were based in military installations in Germany. Rather than constantly moving their children around various schools, they opted to have them in boarding schools. Class sizes were small - I remember about 16 children in my form class with a miniscule 8 in my Maths set.

Regardless of the sector, I admire anyone looking to enter the teaching profession in the UK. Kids need great teachers who are committed to them and the profession. Certainly teachers rarely if ever go into teaching for the money, although the holidays/lifestyle (specifically in the independent sector) are a distinct plus. But really, it's not about that - it's a vocation, a calling, something more than just picking up a salary slip at the end of each month.

Unfortunately successive governments have recognized this and have continued to devalue professions such as teaching and nursing by offering comparatively modest remuneration. Whilst teachers can and have put up with this, constant government pressure through public statements on teachers and thereby the profession as a whole is unwelcome and insulting.

A strike is an inevitable outcome of the current attitudes shown. And frankly, the respect and working conditions of teachers should be placed above parental convenience every time.

Feb 14, 2010
As they are all working so hard during the school holidays then they can all strike during the following:-

6 weeks off school break in the summer, 1 week half term break, 2 week Christmas break, next 1 week half term, 2 weeks Easter break, next 1 week half term. All irrelevant anyway, soon schools will all be competing with each other and the good schools will thrive, the bad will be out of business, and then standards will rise as the school will be run for the children /parents, not the staff, just like every other non public sector

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Just done a little research (I believe its called table top research these days) and it appears from various surveys that teachers "diary" hours have steadily been reducing over the last decade and now a secondary school teacher now works on average 50 hours per week including home working for their contracted weeks. The average secondary teacher's salary it appears is £35000 so 50hoursx39weeks/35000= £17.95/hours worked. That seems like a well paid job to me.

With the basic salary are you talking ordinary teachers or including those with responsibilities who are on the first rungs of management?

Can you post links to those surveys.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As they are all working so hard during the school holidays then they can all strike during the following:-

6 weeks off school break in the summer, 1 week half term break, 2 week Christmas break, next 1 week half term, 2 weeks Easter break, next 1 week half term. All irrelevant anyway, soon schools will all be competing with each other and the good schools will thrive, the bad will be out of business, and then standards will rise as the school will be run for the children /parents, not the staff, just like every other non public sector

Ignorant and stupid as always.

The reason we teach is for the children. It's a vocation, and despite you knowing a teacher who takes the whole summer off, all the teachers I know work much harder than I suspect you do. And yes, I'll make unfounded statements like this, as you always do.

All those holidays you talk of...oh, I really can't be bothered. Arguing with you is like banging your head against a brick wall. You know nothing but think you know it all.

Feb 14, 2010
Pogue Mahone. You misunderstand completely. I dont care what you get paid, or what holidays you take. You as the teacher are not important, the children and their standard of education is. The fact is that the current standard of education of working class kids in this country is simply a disgrace and working class kids had a better chance in the 1950's than now. Education needs root and branch reform (as do the police and fire service), the fact is that teachers are more interested in their holidays and they show the public sector protectionist self interest that is oh so transparent. Our kids now have to compete in London for the best jobs with international kids, a rising very well educated Asian workforce, as well as a very hungry Eastern European workforce who speak at least 2 languages. English kids, well they are just not cutting it, so change or fail.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Pogue Mahone. You misunderstand completely. I dont care what you get paid, or what holidays you take. You as the teacher are not important, the children and their standard of education is. The fact is that the current standard of education of working class kids in this country is simply a disgrace and working class kids had a better chance in the 1950's than now. Education needs root and branch reform (as do the police and fire service), the fact is that teachers are more interested in their holidays and they show the public sector protectionist self interest that is oh so transparent. Our kids now have to compete in London for the best jobs with international kids, a rising very well educated Asian workforce, as well as a very hungry Eastern European workforce who speak at least 2 languages. English kids, well they are just not cutting it, so change or fail.

No, you misunderstand. We do our job BECAUSE WE WANT WHAT IS BEST FOR THE CHILDREN. To say that standards were better in the 50s is so ridiculous that it defies belief. Your comments are your usual blend of arrogance and ignorance - "the fact is that teachers are more interested in their holidays..." - clearly utter crap.

Most of this well educated Asian workforce that you mention are educated here.

People like you spread utterly untrue propaganda about educational standards in this country while we strive to create a curriculum that is challenging, fun and relevant. Then politicians like Gove try to impose a new but utterly antiquated curriculum that has no relevance in society today. You know absolutely nothing about teachers, schools, standards, motivations, in fact anything to do with education. But you think you know it all.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The reason we teach is for the children.

Oh do give it up you sad martyr. You entered teaching because you enjoy not having the pressure of real life, enjoying good wages, long holidays and the plaudits of being a teacher. Now the public sector is shrinking, and jobs for life, easy promotions, final salary pensions are going up in smoke. Welcome to the world of everyone else.

Some sink, some float and some get ahead. Strikers? Finished.

Feb 14, 2010
No, you misunderstand. We do our job BECAUSE WE WANT WHAT IS BEST FOR THE CHILDREN. To say that standards were better in the 50s is so ridiculous that it defies belief. Your comments are your usual blend of arrogance and ignorance - "the fact is that teachers are more interested in their holidays..." - clearly utter crap.

Most of this well educated Asian workforce that you mention are educated here.

People like you spread utterly untrue propaganda about educational standards in this country while we strive to create a curriculum that is challenging, fun and relevant. Then politicians like Gove try to impose a new but utterly antiquated curriculum that has no relevance in society today. You know absolutely nothing about teachers, schools, standards, motivations, in fact anything to do with education. But you think you know it all.

The "Asian" workforce I was talking about is "Asian" in the global context i.e. Chinese, and no mate they are not educated at an English school. The fact that you cannot see that English kids are far and away lagging behind the international education race just goes to show how little you know or how far the teaching professions head is in the sand. Just go to Canary Wharf on a week day and look around. Less and less English kids in fact I would say less than 25% of the good jobs are English workers. Our kids mate are lagging far, far behind. Education has to and will change so wave your placard all you want, your days are numbered because they have to be.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe so but did they really vote for this?

well probably not. i read today numbers for a stirke ballot had NASUWT turnout of 40% and NUT turnout of 27%. 27%!!! doesnt strike me as a well supported cause by the grass roots teachers, just the militants.

We, as teachers, will always be scum in the eyes of certain myopic posters, Daily Mailers and Tory propagandists. Some have even called us the enemy within, and accused us of brainwashing children politically.

but shirley you can see that there has been a minority, vocal and powerfull that have pushed an agenda? i think thats waned, but seems certainly was a problem in the past and contributed to the poor image teacher now have.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here