Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tax - Self Assessment

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seagull over NZ said:
To all those in a panic about being a higher rate tax payer. If you don't have other income and benefits outside of work (ie you only pay PAYE and get P11D benefits) then you won't need to do a tax form.

Its when you have dividends, interest, other ince etc outside of work where the source only deducts basic rate tax. Then you have to do a tax form to pay over the remaining tax as its all payable at the higher rate.

But even if you only have a basic current account yoy will receive a small amount of interest where tax has been deducted at basic rate. This could mean you owe the IR a few pence. On this basis should you be filling out a tax return?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
It can also work for you. If you pay into most types of personal pension schemes you get 22% added to your pension contribution at source in lieu of the tax. If you are a 40% tax-payer then you get an additional 18% (diff between 22% and 40%) set off against your tax bill, and you normally claim this on your tax return, and you could end up getting a refund.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Seagull over NZ said:
Barnet - have a look at this:

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/ir87.pdf

I think you were talking about the rent free allowance - looks like it gets halved.

Don't forget that if you rent out a house you can deduct a number of expenses such as the insurance, council tax (if you pay it) etc as well as a depreciation/ wear and tear allowance

That's the puppy. Cheers.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Bozza said:
But even if you only have a basic current account yoy will receive a small amount of interest where tax has been deducted at basic rate. This could mean you owe the IR a few pence. On this basis should you be filling out a tax return?

True - but it shouldn't be too complicated. You can request from the bank a summary which they will give you details of interest earned, tax deducted etc.

Apparently a mate of mine who does it over the internet says the IR's internet submission is way easier than the manual forms - ie. if you have your P60 summary of earnings together with the banks interest summary and whatever other interest you have, its hard to go wrong.

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
We did over 200 returns over the internet this year and it's much simpler IMHO.

You get an immediate tax calculation confirmed and if you are due a refund, the cheque is automatically issued, without waiting weeks/months for some pencil pusher to get off their arse and do it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As soon as you move into the higher tax bracket they've got you.

I go skinned a year or so ago but now having transferred various things am OK.

mk_bha

Jul 14, 2003
i am thinking of quitting my job and getting something LESS PAID!

yes, thats true.

40p in the pound to pay for immigrants and lazy scumbags. hmmm gets to me every day.

I Could get a job which gave less stress, less hassle, took less time and gave less pay. The lower pay would mean a lower tax bracket so i wouldnt be too far worse off.

ppl on the radio the other day admitted to giving up high paid jobs because it isn't worth it.

or i could negotiate a 4 day week hmmm - the mind boggles.

mk_bha said:
i am thinking of quitting my job and getting something LESS PAID!

yes, thats true.

40p in the pound to pay for immigrants and lazy scumbags. hmmm gets to me every day.

I Could get a job which gave less stress, less hassle, took less time and gave less pay. The lower pay would mean a lower tax bracket so i wouldnt be too far worse off.

ppl on the radio the other day admitted to giving up high paid jobs because it isn't worth it.

or i could negotiate a 4 day week hmmm - the mind boggles.

APART FROM YOUR IGNORANT RACIST BOLLOCKS:nono: :angry:

I HAVE MOVED TO A 4 DAY WEEK, ITS BRILLIANT, YES I EARN LESS BUT I HAVE A THREE DAY WEEKEND, TO SPEND WHAT I EARN.

LC :clap:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I was self-employed for eight months or so after leaving university, and only really understood the whole thing from what other people had told me.

When I did a tax return, I'd been quite careful to keep receipts and log mileage, then I filled it in online... which was still quite confusing.

I'd done the sums in my head, and thought I was in line for a rebate, or at worst a very small bill.

Then earlier in January I got a bill for eight hundred quid. How marvellous.

Luckily, I'm now employed so they've adjusted my tax code and the money will come out of my payslips from April.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm self employed and basically just tax myself 40% on my earnings, leaving 20% in the business account to pay for corporation tax and 20% in a savings account which cunningly offsets against my mortgage until the IR come knocking.

I then pay my accountant £40 to do my self assessment. Then hey presto! I get a rebate every year since there is no way I owe 40% on my total earnings. My rebate paid for my new kitchen last year. :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here