Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tax Returns

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am starting to get extremely pi$$ed off with this. From year 2001 / 2002 I have had to fill in these self assesment forms.

Having paid out a huge sum I have been stiffed for another £400.

I returned 2002/03 and found out it was incorrect on benefits in kind, phoned my tax office and they deny having it.

Not happy with this one bit.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
when you say they deny having it...this is probably because they are in an ailmighty mess due to the new tax credit scheme. if you sent it in yonks ago, chances are it's sitting in a pile. only way to get stuff processed quick is to do online self-assessment, which in itself is a joke.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I am in the process of suing the Inland Revenue as they managed to loose MY LAST FIVE YEARS self assement forms ! They actually took me to court (without telling me I might add) and decided that I owed them £32000 !

They have now admitted their error but, whilst they agree that they owe me for the last two tax years they refuse to look at the three previous years as they say it's 'too late' to do anything about it.

They are the most incompetant bunch of idiots I have ever encountered. They are also liars. This case will cost you, the tax payer, thousands at the end of the day.

Won't cost be a bean at the end of the day, I now pay US taxes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It really is like talking to a faceless twat with them.

I am trying to be honest and accepted the fact that because I moved into a higher tax level I would accept paying tax on certain things that I hadn't previously however they are now transferred to my wife so I will not pay from this year.

We have also had a balls up at work by our HR over benefits in kind and being taxed at source which hasn't helped.

It is a rather stupid thing to say but sometimes I wish I had never been promoted given the amount of grief this has caused.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Funny, about them being faceless. I already have one judgement against the Inland Revenue (which they made no attempt to defend) and stand to win the next. They'll end up paying my air fares and accomodation not to menetion have to compensate me for their pathetic conduct.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Artois said:
Beach Hut, do you want me to have a quick look at it for you?

(I'm an accountant)

Very kind offer have sent you a PM. Don't want to wash my dirty line in public !

Cheers

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
bhaexpress said:
IThey have now admitted their error but, whilst they agree that they owe me for the last two tax years they refuse to look at the three previous years as they say it's 'too late' to do anything about it.

it's no way too late, you, like they do, have six years to clear things up. remind them of your rights.

from one of artois' fellow beancounters.

I've got my first self assessed form to complete soon, my little affair is not too complicated though I have changed from an employee to self-employed.

Will it bode well?

Advise please,

LC1

Van der Gully

Jul 10, 2003
Brunssum, NL
Don't worry Beach Hut, not all is lost.

I completed my first three tax returns as self assessment and was fairly happy that I had completed them correctly. My tax situation then became a little more complicated and I decided to get someone else to complete it on my behalf. Within the first 10 minutes of meeting my "tax advisor" I discovered that I had not declared a number of items that could be offset against tax, she asked me a lot of questions and informed me that I would be entitled to a refund from the Inland Revenue.

As a result I received refunds totalling over 1500 quid. It may cost you a small sum to get someone else to complete your tax return on your behalf but my experience showed it to have been money well spent, since then my annual tax bill has been reduced significantly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Blimey Artois I'm an accountant too, and also waste a huge chunk of my life on NSC, could it be that our chosen careers are just a tad........dull

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thimble Keegan said:
I work for the Inland Revenue and I am not a faceless twat...A twat maybe but not a faceless one!!!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Fair comment and it wasn't personal but the whole thing is just testing me to the limit.

I have shelled out around £5.5K so far and I still owe more.

I earn good money but standards will slip if this carries on and Mrs Beach Hut's "new bedroom floor fund" went west this morning which caused me major grief.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
afters said:
it's no way too late, you, like they do, have six years to clear things up. remind them of your rights.

from one of artois' fellow beancounters.
Thanks but I already have, so has my solicitor and a court too. Hence poor old British tax payer is now being charged for the piss poor work ethic of a bunch of 'Only Interested in Pension' civil (I use the term advisedly) servents.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've got to fill in my first ever tax return before the end of September (cos I was registered self-employed for about eight months after leaving university). I've got a big box of receipts, invoices and payslips, and I'm really not that sure what to do...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
El Presidente said:
Blimey Artois I'm an accountant too, and also waste a huge chunk of my life on NSC, could it be that our chosen careers are just a tad........dull

With so many accountants spending so much time on here I'm now convinced that my accountants may be allocating the time wasted on here as time spent on my accounts. If you saw my bill you'd understand why :(

Would it be a tad naive to ask you which companies you work for?
Just to put my mind at rest or prove my point:D

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here