Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If Lamptey and Biss were with us at the start of next season I would be staggered.

Delighted but staggered

I'd be staggered if let them both go at the same time. I have made my peace with Biss's departure as we do seem to have planned ahead for that, and whilst he will be a huge loss we can cope without him.

Not sure I see the Lamptey succession in place yet and we have not really had the full benefit of him yet. I want him plying 90 minutes next season and then we'll see where we are at the following summer.

Bloom will not stand in the way of career progression but neither will he needlessly weaken the team for a quick buck. All of these high profile sales will be prepared for so that we can still move forward once the player has gone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Their 9th consecutive season in the top flight, pretty much assured of a tenth with minimal investment other than what they have made on transfers. The obvious success is to keep evolving.

Last season you may well have concluded we'd be in deep trouble if Bissouma left, but already this season we've played enough without him to feel the funds raised could be well spent and we could continue to progress.

You don't perhaps get to sign your Bissouma's and Lamptey's unless you are a path for their career progression at some point. Trick is when to stick or twist in that regard, as happened with Ben White, I think they judged that well in it being a good move for all parties.

But it does mean that this right now is pretty much our ceiling, just like it seems to be for Southampton. Which is a pretty impressive ceiling on the face of it, but at the same time it's a quite sad thought - because if we weren't forced to sell our players to the biggest clubs, the sky is the limit, because it feels like there is so much more to come from this group of players.

It's that 'what might have been' which surely bugs Saints fans, if they could have had van Dijk, Shaw, Tadic, Lallana, Mane, Bale and others all in the same team, what could they have achieved?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I still think Tariq leaving is further away than most think. Until he can regularly start & finish games (if he stays as a RWB) then I am not sure how many suitors he will have to match our asking price

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I be staggered if we let them go. We are closest we have ever been to Europe (yes I believe its a bridge too far this season) but Southampton have been in a similar position to Albion in the past and when you let key players go you miss the boat. Ambition. TL, Biss and other key players are the ambition of the club.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
But it does mean that this right now is pretty much our ceiling, just like it seems to be for Southampton. Which is a pretty impressive ceiling on the face of it, but at the same time it's a quite sad thought - because if we weren't forced to sell our players to the biggest clubs, the sky is the limit, because it feels like there is so much more to come from this group of players.

It's that 'what might have been' which surely bugs Saints fans, if they could have had van Dijk, Shaw, Tadic, Lallana, Mane, Bale and others all in the same team, what could they have achieved?

As I’ve said before, SFC have been raped and pillaged way beyond any other team for both players, managers and backroom staff. They must be sick of the sight of Liverpool and Spurs, and at some point you’ve got to fall out of love with the game off the back of that. I appreciate it’s always been the footballing food chain, but I think if Potter ended up at, say Arsenal, along with more of our players it would severe test my passion for the cause.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'd be staggered if let them both go at the same time. I have made my peace with Biss's departure as we do seem to have planned ahead for that, and whilst he will be a huge loss we can cope without him.

Not sure I see the Lamptey succession in place yet and we have not really had the full benefit of him yet. I want him plying 90 minutes next season and then we'll see where we are at the following summer.

Bloom will not stand in the way of career progression but neither will he needlessly weaken the team for a quick buck. All of these high profile sales will be prepared for so that we can still move forward once the player has gone.

This.

At least two key players (Bissouma and Trossard) will very likely leave in the summer as their deals end in 2023 (same goes for Maupay but he will hopefully sign a new one).

It would take something exceptional for the club to sell Lamptey in that situation. I think we'll see him in a Brighton shirt for another year.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Absolutely electric yesterday, brilliant cameo.

I was worried he'd never recover the speed he had pre-injury but the last couple of games have shown it's definitely still there. Love him.

It’s not only the speed. They described it on MOTD yesterday as “tricky feet”. He really can turn some high-class defenders inside out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Their 9th consecutive season in the top flight, pretty much assured of a tenth with minimal investment other than what they have made on transfers. The obvious success is to keep evolving.

Last season you may well have concluded we'd be in deep trouble if Bissouma left, but already this season we've played enough without him to feel the funds raised could be well spent and we could continue to progress.

You don't perhaps get to sign your Bissouma's and Lamptey's unless you are a path for their career progression at some point. Trick is when to stick or twist in that regard, as happened with Ben White, I think they judged that well in it being a good move for all parties.

The next coach load of 16 year old attacking midfielders won't pay for themselves.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
He made numerous dangerous runs yesterday but didn't get the pass, which seemed to frustrate him. Playing for a title challenging team with top-quality players, incisive forward passing and he would be devastating. Hope he stays for at least one more season though!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I still think Tariq leaving is further away than most think. Until he can regularly start & finish games (if he stays as a RWB) then I am not sure how many suitors he will have to match our asking price

This essentially. He rarely ever even pre injury played 90 minutes. IMO this is what stops him from ever playing for a top 4 club as you're effectively reducing your available subs from 3 to 2 per game.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
This essentially. He rarely ever even pre injury played 90 minutes. IMO this is what stops him from ever playing for a top 4 club as you're effectively reducing your available subs from 3 to 2 per game.

Ever ever?

I think what Potter and the club are doing is very commendable. Hopefully, it will prevent the Michael-Owen-issue of ruined hamstrings by playing too much too young.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

He's being brilliantly managed by the club IMO....still very young with another maybe 15 years ahead of him. No rush.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Same as it ever was really, however each club has it's own ambitions, Southampton's seems to be to survive with minimum investment and cash in on players whenever you can. Conversely Leicester won the PL and have been regularly challenging for champions league spots and trophies even though they've sold big value players, they've also done well to retain others.

No reason we can't believe we can follow in Leicester's footsteps rather than Southampton's.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Rarely played 90 mins pre injury is just plain wrong.

Lamptey played 90 mins in 4 out of the 8 games he appeared in when the 19-20 season restarted. He played 86 mins in one of those other games. Was sub off earlier in 2 others (Man Utd at half time and Southampton after 68 mins), he started on the bench in the other game (Man city, he came on for the last half hour).

Last season he played 90 mins in 7 of the 11 games he was fit for before his season ending injury. He’s clearly been eased back in very carefully after a year out and is being perfectly managed in my opinion, especially when you consider he’ll be targeted by some of the PL “enforcers”.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Rarely played 90 mins pre injury is just plain wrong.

Lamptey played 90 mins in 4 out of the 8 games he appeared in when the 19-20 season restarted. He played 86 mins in one of those other games. Was sub off earlier in 2 others (Man Utd at half time and Southampton after 68 mins), he started on the bench in the other game (Man city, he came on for the last half hour).

Last season he played 90 mins in 7 of the 11 games he was fit for before his season ending injury. He’s clearly been eased back in very carefully after a year out and is being perfectly managed in my opinion, especially when you consider he’ll be targeted by some of the PL “enforcers”.

How does that compare to Cucurella? Or the other side WB in the same games? Regardless of the stats - we still have to manage him very carefully compared to almost everyone else in the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here