Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But it still doesn't mean the value of the player is increased. We bought at a reduced fee but the downside was the sell on clause.

The market place decides the value of the player, not the deal we signed with Chelsea. If the market place decides he's worth £50m then the fact that we have a sell on clause doesn't change that. I agree it might change our inclination to sell though.

For example, we buy TL at £3m plus 25% sell on fee.
Chelsea might have said we can have that deal or we buy him outright for £15m

Assume he sells for £50m, on the first deal, we get £50m less £12.5m sell on clause and less £3m purchase fee = £34.5m.
On the second basis, we get £50m less £15m purchase fee = £35m!

Now in both cases his market value is the same. Obviously I'm guessing at the sell on clauses or what Chelsea might have accepted to buy him outright but I trust you get the gist.

Wrong

We decide the value of the player.

PSG could offer us £200m and we could choose to turn them down

Whilst he is contracted to us, "the market" can decide all they like what they think he's worth, he doesn't move without TB's say so.

Sometimes you see a situation where a player goes on strike and refuses to play to force the move through. This is a wildly unlikely scenario here given his age, the length of his contract and what we know of the lad, so to me there's no point speculating as to what would happen. I'd just comment that there are people who's bluff i'd call before Tony Bloom's.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It’s a massive concern that he’s suffering these issues so early in his career as I can think of a lot of pacey players who never really recovered from persistent hamstring injuries.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This believe that he is injury prone, is it kosher?

He has had one injury since he joined us, a hamstring problem, that he got against Fulham on 16/12/20. He has been out since then, just over 10 weeks. That's not too long for a hammy, in a young player. He had no other injuries up until this one, and had played a part in 11 other games this season. He may become prone to hamstring problem s in the future, due to his explosive pacebut, it's too early to think he will definitely be out more than he is available.

Well based on the news today of his latest 'setback', sadly I'm not really expecting to see him play any significant part in the remainder of this season. Hope I'm wrong but I just get a sense that this is how it will be. When squads, potential formations and playing styles are discussed on here and people talk about how we will be strengthened by the return of Lamptey (which we absolutely would be), I've never been able to shrug off a nagging doubt that he's likely to be injured more often than not.

Good luck to the guy.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
But it still doesn't mean the value of the player is increased. We bought at a reduced fee but the downside was the sell on clause.

The market place decides the value of the player, not the deal we signed with Chelsea. If the market place decides he's worth £50m then the fact that we have a sell on clause doesn't change that. I agree it might change our inclination to sell though.

For example, we buy TL at £3m plus 25% sell on fee.
Chelsea might have said we can have that deal or we buy him outright for £15m

Assume he sells for £50m, on the first deal, we get £50m less £12.5m sell on clause and less £3m purchase fee = £34.5m.
On the second basis, we get £50m less £15m purchase fee = £35m!

Now in both cases his market value is the same. Obviously I'm guessing at the sell on clauses or what Chelsea might have accepted to buy him outright but I trust you get the gist.

For a deal to go ahead, the buyers have to be willing to pay the price that the seller is happy with. My observation is that price will be higher if we are to retain a smaller part of the total fee due to a sell-on clause.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well based on the news today of his latest 'setback', sadly I'm not really expecting to see him play any significant part in the remainder of this season. Hope I'm wrong but I just get a sense that this is how it will be. When squads, potential formations and playing styles are discussed on here and people talk about how we will be strengthened by the return of Lamptey (which we absolutely would be), I've never been able to shrug off a nagging doubt that he's likely to be injured more often than not.

Good luck to the guy.

Thank God we have Veltman, otherwise we really would be in a bad way on decent FB's.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Dozens of people return from serious long term injuries all the time - for Albion and other clubs. Multiple people every season return after a few weeks/months out . We normally don't notice.
A small minority don't.
Solly March is a good example - he's been successfully injury free for several seasons and in the form of his life - after some early bad injuries - when NSC definitely had him down as a sicknote or dubbed his career "over".
As for Tariq - good luck to the medical team, and good luck to him but the rather ghoulish premature verdicts on where this leaves him is exactly that . Premature.

boik

It’s a massive concern that he’s suffering these issues so early in his career as I can think of a lot of pacey players who never really recovered from persistent hamstring injuries.

Just to counteract the relentless pessimism from most on here I give you Ryan Giggs, bucket loads of hammys when he was young, played until he was as old as Methuselah.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just to counteract the relentless pessimism from most on here I give you Ryan Giggs, bucket loads of hammys when he was young, played until he was as old as Methuselah.

I read recently that Giggs believes it was taking up yoga that eventually helped him to overcome susceptibility to hamstring injuries and kept him playing at the top level for as long as he did.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There was an Athletic article about a month ago on Lamptey. To summarise: He is the fastest player in Europe (probably the world) and is going to be highly susceptible to hamstring injuries at his age. The club are treating him very carefully and giving him a special conditioning program and warm up routine for the next couple of years until he's fully developed physically, by which time he'll be less likely to suffer injuries.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Lets just hope he's fit for the beginning of next season, hopefully if we are still in the Prem.

It would be ironic if one of our most exciting ever players was one that virtually none of us ever got to see in the flesh at the Amex, so lets just hope we stay up and he's with us next season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Stevie G had a load of hammies early on as well.

Played 500+ for Liverpool

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The club giving him a special conditioning program and warm up routine for the next couple of years until he's fully developed physically.

It’s going well!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Arsenal fans need to wake up to the fact they're no longer an attractive option for the elite players. And the fact that they have no money and can't compete with the top clubs anymore either.

would you happen to know why they are skint?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here