Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Target: Play-offs Top Six (Operation Blue Charge 81)

1066gull

Target: 81
Maximum points: 104
Points remaining: 87
Points needed: 63

Over the last six seasons, the average point marker for sixth is 76pts. But we need a minimum of 81 with the level of competition. That is 63 points out of a possible 87.

Brighton vs. Leeds
21-11-09

Currently 10 points behind
6 Huddersfield +19 27
19 Brighton & HA -7 17

Highest position could rise; 13
Lowest position could fall; 21

Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Mid table for me this season, that would be progress. I know a lot of people will say we have spent a lot of money, but have we really?

In reality we were replacing deadwood and not adding to a already decent squad ala Huddersfield. After such an awful start we are really up against it to make the play offs, I'll reserve judgement after Leeds, Norwich and charlton as my opinion could well change!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Mid table for me this season, that would be progress. I know a lot of people will say we have spent a lot of money, but have we really?

In reality we were replacing deadwood and not adding to a already decent squad ala Huddersfield. After such an awful start we are really up against it to make the play offs, I'll reserve judgement Till after Leeds, Norwich and charlton as my opinion could well change!

1066gull

I hope someone can back my word up, but I am sure I said somewhere in September we would be the form team in the country come November. Lets just watch....

We can do it!!! This league has a reputation for being so tight until February!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We've spent less in total than Saints [Lambert] and Huddersfield [Rhodes] have each spent on ONE player.

1066gull

To break my target down, our first 'manageable' target is Southend.

13 Southend United +1 20

They play MK Dons at home, and after they got spunked 5-1 I can see them getting beat by the Dons...we won't surpass them next week realistically but I predict we will be level pegging if we can get the result agaisnt Leeds.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I truly believe in Gus & his ability to make us contenders for this seasons play offs. I think the squad will, as they have shown already, have so much respect & big love for Gus they will become the players they always dreamed they'd be & flourish under El Capitano.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
It's good to be optimistic but i'd say with a third of the season gone and a modest 17 points it is almost impossible. A play-off finish would require us to play most of the remainder of the season in automatic promotion form, seems unlikely.

Last year Scunthorpe finished in 6th with 76 points, the season before Southend needed the same and in the 06-07 season oldham finished on 75 points. Finishing the season with this many points would be tough enough but i'd expect we'd need at least 80 points this term given the teams in contention, a tall order.

1066gull

It's good to be optimistic but i'd say with a third of the season gone and a modest 17 points it is almost impossible. A play-off finish would require us to play most of the remainder of the season in automatic promotion form, seems unlikely.

Last year Scunthorpe finished in 6th with 76 points, the season before Southend needed the same and in the 06-07 season oldham finished on 75 points. Finishing the season with this many points would be tough enough but i'd expect we'd need at least 80 points this term given the teams in contention, a tall order.

So we must not drop more than 7 right :thumbsup:

Lets see how November unfolds.... and see this again....don't forget Tarrico wants the same thing :)

1066gull

OK, the average over the last six seasons is 76 with the highest in 1999 being 82 followed by 81 in 2002.

To get 81 points we need 63 points out a maximum of 87.

Operation Blue Charge is underway.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
So we must not drop more than 7 right :thumbsup:

Lets see how November unfolds.... and see this again....don't forget Tarrico wants the same thing :)

lol. I'll have some of what you've had!

If we break the 30 point mark by Christmas I might start to share your optimisim, otherwise i'll be hoping for the 12th I predicted pre season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are you serious? Rhodes cost same as Dickinson, 300k. I know who o would have and hr is not a pisshead!

Dickenson £300k I am sure I read that Norwich offered £350k and we topped that and with possible add ons for goals apprearances promotions etc it could reach £650k, but I may be wrong and am sure somebody will put me right.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I suspect that if we are still a maximum of 10 points off the play offs come January then Tony might open the chequebook and go for it this season. If we fail then hopefully Gus will have got the team prepared for next season, if not then its a genius move from Tony.

Remember we are not chasing the team currently in 6th place, we are chasing all the teams above us so dont put too much emphasis on goal difference, anything can change, even a sequence of WWL for the rest of the season could be enough to sneak it

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I dont see why you think we need more points because of how tough the division is, surely that means the top teams will drop more points too. So in effect it could be a very tight division and actually mean less than 76 will do.

All ifs and buts, however im still optomistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here