Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talksport yesterday

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm going off the station rapidly as the presenters (not all, Adrian Durham is excellent) just seem so damn thick at times.

Driving home last night, Patrick Kinghorn was saying how he thought the Green Jacket at the Masters passed from one Champion to the next. "You get it for a year and then have to give it back." So how come last years champion is still wearing it while presenting the new champion with his.

Then driving in this morning, they were talking about how Elton John is £127m overdrawn, and one of them said "I do remember Elton had an auction of all his clothes last year. Maybe that was a sign." Imbecile, he does that most years and the proceeds go to charity!

I regularly seem to be driving along shouting at the station "How can you be so STUPID" mainly at Kinghorn.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I can't listen to it any more on the drive home. I did like Tony Cascarino - he does have an intelligence and honesty about him. But Jason Cundy is two short planks.

And I never listen in the mornings - listen to Danny Baker on Radio London - 94.9.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Danny Baker is superb on BBC London and I often switch over to him. It reminds me of why I used to enjoy 606 and just how far removed it was from the endless round of Arsenal / Manure fans saying how great they are, while anyone else who gets on just says how shit the ref/manager/chairman is.

His show was just so much more than that. In fact it barely touched on those sort of boring debates. As he does with his breakfast show, he'd throw out half a dozen topics such as "worst away kit" "coldest ground" "missed your last train / lift home from an away game" and THAT'S what we'd all hear. Humourous stories that we could all relate to, laugh along with, and probably have something to add to.

Danny Baker = legend.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
True. When 6-0-6 first started they would encourage calls on any sport. He was trying to get a call in on chess once. It was a great show, often imitated, but never bettered.

It was the ultimate sell-out when they brought in David Mellor.

Not long afterwards I saw Mellor after a QPR game and could not stop myself shouting "Mellor - You Fat Git". Not quite the message I was after but it was all that came into my head.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Everyone just jumped on the bandwagon he created with the football phone in, and yet no-one bothered to notice what made it so great. Namely, the diversity of the stories that would hit the airwaves, and the sheer hilarity of the programme. I can't remember the last time I laughed at a football phone-in, unless it's at the sheer idiocy of a comment, but never because it's a humourous topic.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Hawksby and Jacobs are quality though.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
While I would agree that Talksport is ever more rapidly morphing into 'The Sun' on radio, in its defence I would say the best show is now Collins and Parry after 10am.

There was a programme earlier in the week that left me in tears driving to work in the car - everyone was on top of their game, and the callers responded in kind.

It was about the chances of intelligent alien life exisiting elsewhere.

Parry: "I mean there's bound to be when you consider the vastness of the universe. There could even be people out there listening to Talksport right now.

Collins: "And by the way, hello if you are..."

Parry: "Let's get to the phones, our first caller is Dave. Where are you from, Dave?"

Dave: "I'm from Ipswich in East Anglia."

Parry: "Plenty of aliens out that way, Dave."

Dave (quick as a flash): "You're not wrong. They're called Norwich fans."

Things continued in this vein for a good hour. Quality radio, Parry is king.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here