Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Talking point Ben White

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This guff about him needing a big centre half alongside him and all will be well is ridiculous.

Premier League strikers will target him in the air, regardless of who his partner is.

Fortunately for him it's not impossible to improve, but because of his price pundits won't give him time and they will be unforgiving.
Also why the hell would you pay 50m that needs someone big by his side. Ludicrous. Dunk or Webster don't need a certain player by their side !!!!

The other hilarious thing is that arsenal had one of the best defences in the league last season. Why the HELL did they change it, spend 50 mill and make it worse.

What a car crash.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Also why the hell would you pay 50m that needs someone big by his side. Ludicrous. Dunk or Webster don't need a certain player by their side !!!!

The other hilarious thing is that arsenal had one of the best defences in the league last season. Why the HELL did they change it, spend 50 mill and make it worse.

What a car crash.

Luiz reached the end of his contract and went back to Brazil, a huge salary off their books. Ben White is £50m but 23. It's an educated risk that he isn't going to lose all that value over 5 years when he'll be 28. So they had no choice to add to their squad as change was happening anyway. They didn't really have a settled back line either last season.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Brighton absolutely fleeced Arsenal.

That’s not saying White is a poor player or won’t recover from a terrible debut

But £50 million in this market?

Varane Went for less.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
White needs to thank his agent…..
I know we are all ‘experts’ on this board but not everyone can be wrong, pretty much every poster on here was saying ‘great player, wrong club’…….

Easy to have a pop at a faceless un-named agent who may or may not have promoted Arsenal over other clubs.

The player makes the choice. If it's the wrong club, Ben needs to take responsibility himself.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Brighton absolutely fleeced Arsenal.

That’s not saying White is a poor player or won’t recover from a terrible debut

But £50 million in this market?

Varane Went for less

If you're just looking at the headline price, then yes.

If you factor in (rumoured) wages, it's a different story.

Add in the (likely) resale value and it's a different picture altogether.

Varane and White are in different leagues in terms of experience, so it's as it should be, but Varane will cost Utd an awful lot more than Ben White is costing Arsenal.

Your suggestion of 'fleeced' is a little strong IMO, but that said, I feel it was a good deal for Brighton (hence too good for Tony to turn down)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Pep: "How's it going Mikel, my little action-figure friend?"
Arteta: "Oh hello, Señor Guardiola. Not so good I'm afraid. I just spent £50m on a player and I'm not sure I've improved the side.
Pep: "You think that's bad? Wait till you hear this...."

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Easy to have a pop at a faceless un-named agent who may or may not have promoted Arsenal over other clubs.

The player makes the choice. If it's the wrong club, Ben needs to take responsibility himself.

He is neither of those things though is he.
He's the same twunt that was fined and banned after concealing payments made to himself during Dale Stephens' transfer to us.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Arsenal have already got that player in Gabriel Magalhaes.
He's out injured at the moment after picking up a knee injury when winning the Olympic Gold medal with Brazil.
He's expected to be out for about a month which is rather unhelpful to Arsenal.

White and Gabriel will make a great partnership.

He doesn't speak English coupled with the fact White isn't the most vocal, both young.. Potential issue there.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

You mean the faceless unnamed agent called Alex Levack who loves to get his face on SSN, and was fined for irregularities (which also got us a much bigger fine) and was suspended from all agency activity and intermediary activity for 14 months back in 2015? That one?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You mean the faceless unnamed agent called Alex Levack who loves to get his face on SSN, and was fined for irregularities (which also got us a much bigger fine) and was suspended from all agency activity and intermediary activity for 14 months back in 2015? That one?

Nice research. You can certainly operate google, you've proved that.

My point stands. It's not the agents fault if a transfer goes wrong. The player (talking generally, not just about White) has got to sign the contract and has got to be responsible for the transfer.

It's no use fans blaming an agent for a move that doesn't benefit a player. It's easier to do so as they don't have the same emotional attachment to the agent (and in 99% of occasions won't be able to name or recognise the agent without googling them) as they do to a former player. But it's a cop out. Not least as the fans never know what conversations or advice went on behind closed doors.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Despite the noise from his agent, I think it’s pretty telling he finished up at Arsenal who seemed to the only club willing to pay up.

Arsenal really aren’t very good. If he’d gone to a top 4 club I’d have been more inclined to believe they hype.

Varanasi and Vestergaard look better buys to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nice research. You can certainly operate google, you've proved that.

My point stands. It's not the agents fault if a transfer goes wrong. The player (talking generally, not just about White) has got to sign the contract and has got to be responsible for the transfer.

It's no use fans blaming an agent for a move that doesn't benefit a player. It's easier to do so as they don't have the same emotional attachment to the agent (and in 99% of occasions won't be able to name or recognise the agent without googling them) as they do to a former player. But it's a cop out. Not least as the fans never know what conversations or advice went on behind closed doors.

1). Thank you so much for patronising me - although unlike you, many of us were aware of the identity and history of White's agent..
2). Your appear to be suggesting that the agent isn't a major influence and key advisor to a young player; that is bollocks.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
If they're insistent on playing a back four, I can't help but think they bought the wrong CB from us. White is exceptional in a three with two warriors doing the heavy lifting, but weak in a four having to do it himself. His game is the tidy up and transition.
White's success I feel will ultimately depend on who's partnered with him. If they don't get it sorted in the first dozen matches I can see Leeds sniffing around him in January.
Best of luck to him, but I feel Arsenal are always likely to be a bit of a shambles under Arteta.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
"Good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball, good on the ball." - Gary Neville, Aug 14, 2021

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Why this obsession with an ex-player? Unless I have logged on to North Bank Chat by mistake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here