Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking your kids to The Amex?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I took my son to his first game when he was three and he loved it not for the football but the day out with Dad, I got him a season ticket at 4 and he is now 7 almost 8 and has endured 3 years at the Withdean and now a year at the Amex. He loves it. At 4 he used to get bored, the highlight was going to the pub for a coke and packet of crisps. Now its more about the stadium and sitting with his firends, watching the game and mucking about a bit at the same time.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
My boy started going to games at 7, will be a STH next season when he'll have just turned 9.

4 is too young, their attention span isn't long enough and they need to be entertained/distracted regularly and so ruin the game for you (and often, the people around you). Added to this transport is an issue. Making the Brighton train back from Falmer is scarey when you are waist level to everyone around you.

Plus, and this is most important, 4yo are rubbish at getting a round in!

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I took my nephew to his 1st ever match- the 2-1 won at Leeds, he was so excited and loved wearing his replica top and scarf... He was 5 1/2. He got a bit anxious when we scored and everyone cheered, but after a few seconds when he realised all was on he was cheering with the best of them! One slight problem was his height (or lack of it) there were People standing a bit and the view wasn't great at Leeds, but on the whole it was a great experience for him and he's mad keen to go again, if I can get next Saturday off it'll be family trip to the gorgeous Barnsley!

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
My Boy started coming at 11 my girl 8, but both sit through a game and watch it so no biggy for me, however there are younger kids in the East and near me that piss me right off!! all game the parents talk about life and what they are doing during the week and at work and every five minutes we have to get up to let one of them in or out,dont get me wrong they are nice people but they need a coffee shop with a wacky warehouse not the AMEX. honest opinion 4 is to young and you have to think about the other fans around you

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I haven't taken my 6 and a half year old daughter yet for the reasons people have already mentioned (mainly attention span and worried about certain 'neighbours' language, behaviour). Fingers crossed we will have a friendly or two pre season which would provide a good introduction to the Amex.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Some great replies from everyone so far....... I have taken all the pros and cons onboard and will wait until the pre season friendlies are arranged and probably try him out at one of those first.

Mrs Muzzy is a born worrier but she thinks he'll be fine, which surprises me TBH!

If all goes well in a friendly game and he enjoys it, I'll then take him to one or two fixtures during next season.

Getting him there will not be a problem... He just loves the train :rolleyes: I won't tell him about the ensuing match day chaos... I'll just get there early and stay for 1/2 an hour afterwards for a sneaky :drink: and meet up with uncle [MENTION=18639]Seagull Steve[/MENTION]..

Thanks to everyone so far for your words of wisdom :thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Every kid is different and the last thing you want to do it force them to go. There are quite few kids in the North Stand, some do enjoy it but I notice a few who after the first 10 minutes just sit there looking at the ground seemingly bored out of their brains.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I took my boy for his first game against Bristol, he had just turned 3 at the time. I took the iPad just in case, but it wasn't needed. He loved the whole thing, and he's since been to about 4 more games. He loves every second, knows all the players names and numbers, and sometimes i catch him singing along as well! it's been a bit hard to explain to him that it's going to be quite a while til he can go again :(

Luckily we're halfway up the north stand, just behind the first few rows that are standing. So I normally spend the whole game holding him up, or if the people in front of us aren't there, stand him on the back of their seat! He's got his shirt, and now has a keeper shirt as well as he loves Brez lol.

I took the youngest Miss Potting to the Middlesborough Game and was pleasantly surprised how taken she was by the whole match day experience from the Park and Ride top deck, to pix with Gully, a trip round the Superstore and the game itself. She is already planning her replica shirt and decided that Lua Lua is her favourite player (I suspect more due to the fascination with his name than his contribution to the team). She is still mentioning the day and is already keen on going to the Christmas party!

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Started to take my boy when he was about 7 (Now 29) leaving him outside the exchange pub in the middle of winter freezing his nuts off with a coke. I was inside with my friends by the nice open fire and boy was it hot, he knew the score for every game but still wanted to go. He is now a die hard albion fan and taking him that young didn't do him any harm furthermore I wasn't reported for child cruelty to Ester Ransons child line.:lol::lol::lol:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Getting that 1st game right can be critical and I'd suggest a pre-season friendly, in warm weather and cheap admission. If they get bored you won't feel too bad if you have to leave early. A good league Cup draw against lower opposition is also a good call.

My g/kids are now experincing the joys of Albion and I have to say that going to footie is a great parent/child bonding thing and I'm sure helps avoid those teenage troubles when parents & kids don't communicate - I've had none of that.

Plus, the ultimate payback, my kids now treat me to a pint or two!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
During boring play, my 9 year old flits through the programme.

Have to remind him to look up when we are attacking!

When he doesn't fancy coming, e.g. potential violence & evening games e.g. CP (and Im glad he didn't ... vile atmosphere that night), I don't force it at all, and wait for his keeness to return, which it does.

Wish I'd bought and could afford 3 seats, so he could bring a mate!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Getting that 1st game right can be critical and I'd suggest a pre-season friendly, in warm weather and cheap admission. If they get bored you won't feel too bad if you have to leave early. A good league Cup draw against lower opposition is also a good call.

My g/kids are now experincing the joys of Albion and I have to say that going to footie is a great parent/child bonding thing and I'm sure helps avoid those teenage troubles when parents & kids don't communicate - I've had none of that.

Plus, the ultimate payback, my kids now treat me to a pint or two!

Thanks... You are right. It is crucial that his first experience is 100% an enjoyable one... That's my main concern, so a friendly game is what I shall do.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Another thing I've noticed is that football, and especially the Amex, is a place where kids can safely mix with other adults. No where else do parents let their kids wander and I think it's great that, after the game, kids are playing football on the concourses and nobody minds.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
My youngest is 9. A few sweets at half time and his nintendo fornwhen he gets distracted. Seems to work and he turns it on later and later inthe match.

My nephew 6 is a STH and has been going since 4ish.

He loves the whole day out, not just the football, loves the pub and spending time with adults has really brought him out of himself.

As pretty much everyone has said...sweets at the ready helps. The game itself especially in the games when he was younger contributed to his boredom/excited factor, with at least a mid-half goal doing wonders :)

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Thanks... You are right. It is crucial that his first experience is 100% an enjoyable one... That's my main concern, so a friendly game is what I shall do.

You don't want his first game to be a subdued friendly you wanna blow his mind away with the most exciting noise and atmos possible so he just wants to come back for the football , no nintendos or gimmicks best age is around 6 don't waste the first experience at a too young age . The feeling of taking your child to their first football match is a special moment my son is now 15 and daughter 13 and they both remember their first ever game with fond memories ( both went on 6th birthdays )

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
another thing i thought of is dont let them make you leave early(it becomes a habit to them). A friends son got bored and they left the match (cant remember which game) around the 50 min mark and now wont stay for a match any longer then the hour. My son fidgets and watchs other things when nothing fun happens so my bro in law and myself get him to commentate for us which amuses us and helps the old lady in front because she can never tell who has the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here