Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking kids out of school, for holidays.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think it gives out the wrong message, that education takes a backseat to a bargain holiday.

Besides it would surely be chaos if you have much of the same form taking two weeks out at different times.

That's why you have the rule in place. I agree if everybody did it then there'd be chaos. You just leave the rule like it is and most people will abide, if you don't enforce it too harshly then the people who really want to do it can without fear of life changing repurcussuions. I'd compare it to rules on drugs, technically you're not allowed to do it these days but they don't send you to prision anymore.

Anyways, you had a proper education at public school,two weeks away and you probably would miss something. Two weeks out of state school is like blinking during a football match :jester:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I am served right becuase I have children. Really Frank?

Yes, they are tomorrow's chavs and vandals and future criminals !

Seriously it makes me angry that schools force parents to take their children during school holidays only as they forget that some parents cannot take their kids at those times for a whole variety of reasons. At the end of the day a couple of weeks won't make a any real difference academically but it can make a considerable difference financially. As long as the children are not habitual non attendees what's the problem ? Perhaps schools would be better employed going after the parents who don't make sure their children attend school and leave those who do to use their own judgement. It didn't matter when I went to school and I have done okay (as they say).

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the difference in cost makes it a no-brainer, especially for younger kids who are not about to take an exam, and who just get so much out of a holiday.

We're going away October half-term, but by going on the Wednesday in half-term, and therefore missing 3 days of school the following week it virtually halfed the cost of teh holiday.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We used to take our two out all the time. Used to get the odd letter from the schools but we ignored them. Used to save SHEDLOADS of money going on holiday in school time

And, more importantly, their educations didn't suffer. My daughter's got a Masters in choral studies and is doing a PhD in something I don't even understand the title of. Plus when she did her Science GCSE she got a letter from the Exam Board saying her mark was the third-highest in the country. My son got good grades in seven GCSEs and three AS levels and has just started the Music Tec course he wanted at Northbrook.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just to add that when we used to go to Centreparcs naturally we went in term time. As I said on that thread we use to go with four or five other famillies. It was quite funny as five boys, all known to be friends, would all go sick on Wednesday and then all get better by the following Tuesday!

Well it made us laugh, bad parents that we are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The problem is that schools and many organisations are unwilling to tackle problem parents head on so rules are put in place that affect everyone. Personally, I see no problem in taking our daughter out of school for one week so we can afford to go away. Did it this year the week before spring half term so we had a two week holiday in Corfu. We applied to the school and it was turned down but we took it as unauthorised leave. She's only 6 and well in the top half of her class. Travel broadens the mind or have some people forgotten that or are they just equating foreign travel to the strip at Benidorm!!! Schools could ensure that the children learn about the places they go and make it a condition they keep a diary of what they did.

Of course, a lot depends, as always, on the attitude of the parents.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Thing is whilst the education system is under the rule of targets and league tables with resulting inspections for failing results or falling attendances schools will never give permission for anybody, unless for dire emergencies, to go holiday.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
As a teacher, I would say take them. It does no damage whatsoever, they can catch up for a couple of weeks. Educators will always say that missing a week drops their percentage scores in exams by a couple, but to be honest, big deal. Compare the cost of the holiday to not completing a collage about the Ancient Egyptians. Just tell the school you are doing it, tell them why, and don't bother lying about completing work when you are away, etc, etc - just have a good time. It never bent me out of shape when someone went away, and nine times out of ten they came back more mature and in a much better frame of mind for learning anyway.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've worked for a couple of tour operators in the past, and I absolutely guarantee you, if school half terms were staggered over two or three weeks instead of one, they would simply put the prices up for those three weeks.

They don't make significantly more profit for those weeks, because the prices are dictated by the suppliers- the hotels, airlines and so on. They increase the price, the tour operator increases the price, and thus the additional cost gets passed on to the customer. Maybe the suppliers are making a killing....but then again show me a business that doesn't charge more when the going's good: it's simple supply and demand economics and covers them for when business is slow I suppose.

It will never change unless you didn't have any set school holiday periods at all. I suppose whether you take your kids out of school depends on whether you're the sort of person who considers a holiday a privilege or a divine right?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I suppose whether you take your kids out of school depends on whether you're the sort of person who considers a holiday a privilege or a divine right?

Well it's in my contract as I'm sure it is yours !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have annual leave written into my contract, yes, but nowhere does it state that I must go away, or that I must leave the country or do something really expensive...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have annual leave written into my contract, yes, but nowhere does it state that I must go away, or that I must leave the country or do something really expensive...

Well I don't believe my holidays should be dictated by some artificial calendar regardless of whether I have children or not.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
my wife works at a school so we are limited to school holidays. there is no chance whatsoever of her having holidays in school time

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
my wife works at a school so we are limited to school holidays. there is no chance whatsoever of her having holidays in school time

which deep down is against in principle your human rights to take your holiday when you want to rather than dictated to by your employer.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think that up to say 14 years old what difference does a couple of weeks make ? Once exams have finished school is a waste of time and this situation allows travel companies to exploit people with children (although having said that serves them right !)

Do you have children ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Reading today about Ofsted`s damning report into how 457,925 children are wrongly classified as 'special needs' purely to cover up the fact that the schools and their teachers are failing in their duties to properly educate our kids, I for one think a week in Spain won`t matter that much one way or the other.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Reading today about Ofsted`s damning report into how 457,925 children are wrongly classified as 'special needs' purely to cover up the fact that the schools and their teachers are failing in their duties to properly educate our kids, I for one think a week in Spain won`t matter that much one way or the other.

That covers those with ginger hair, glasses, freckles and a tad overweight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here