Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

taking flares to games

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Interesting that the Germans (who you would normally assume to be highly safety conscious) (a) are still building NEW stadiums with STANDING areas, and (b) LOVE flares. I went to an Allemania Aachen match a couple of weeks ago - German second division. Brand new 30,000+ stadium. Entire stand behind one goal was standing (and it rocked!), plus the away fans brought flares....no-one seemed fussed!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I am well aware of what caused the fire at Bradford but, you dimwits, does it not occur to you about the inherent dangers of some dumbfuck lobbing a flare either into a crowd or in a wooden stand. Maybe I'm being too boring. What about allowing firearms into games so they can be safely fired into the air to generate atmosphere. How about fireworks that the crowd can set off when we score a goal. Gosh, how much more fun football can be!!!!

Mate - they thought your original post was 'unbelievable' etc because you chose to draw attention to the very real dangers of using flares ie 'kids being engulfed in flames' but then in the very next sentence you went on to say ' still, suppose its worth it if it creates a better atmosphere'!!!

Now who is the dimwit??!! :ohmy:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Swindon need anything to get some atmosphere going judging by the last few times I have seen them, miserable bastards

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I was at the Euro 2008 quarter-final between Croatia and Turkey, right behind the goal in a sea of Croatian supporters (best support I've ever seen, may I add, they could teach some of our whinging contingent a thing or twelve about how to get behind a team).

They were letting flares off left, right and centre during extra-time, and not for one second did I feel concerned, even when some bloke the row behind me sparked up.

Even though that was a controversial and highly-charged game, I don't recall any flares being aimed at anybody, unlike that Swindon supporter. Just how much of a moron must that fan have been to have pelted a flare at an entire stand?

I know it was Leyton Orient, but still!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
When St Pauli played Bayern in the German Cup semi a few years ago at the Millerntor they were handing them out to everyone who went in the Gegengerade (main Pauli terrace) and the atmosphere was incredible. Standing on a terrace, beer in one hand, lit flare in the other...but it ain't gonna happen here, is it? Because somehow we in this country are different from every other football fans in Europe. We aren't allowed terraces, we have to sit down, we can't be trusted with anything more dangerous than a decomposing burger.....

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Untitled.jpg

:facepalm:

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I am well aware of what caused the fire at Bradford but, you dimwits, does it not occur to you about the inherent dangers of some dumbfuck lobbing a flare either into a crowd or in a wooden stand. Maybe I'm being too boring. What about allowing firearms into games so they can be safely fired into the air to generate atmosphere. How about fireworks that the crowd can set off when we score a goal. Gosh, how much more fun football can be!!!!

You bore.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Hope the stewards responsible for searching in that stand have had a severe kick up the arse for not preventing the flares getting into the ground.

Having said that am I missing the point? the only things I have seen stewards stop going into grounds are small plastic coke bottles - not because they are really dangerous but it stops you buying in the ground - and as I witnessed in the family stand at Withdean a couple of seasons back stopping a couple of ten year olds coming in with the Brighton flag they had just bought from the shop because it came on a stick with a point!! what was the point.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Sorry to be a killjoy to all you teenagers but anyone with a flare should get a ban for life. Complete and utter dicks.

Perhaps you are all to young to remember the Bradford fire, tv pictures of fans running onto the pitch engulfed in flames. Still, suppose it's worth it if it creates a better atmosphere.

There were very few at the Goldstone and can't recall any at Withdean.

Don't be stupid. Should the teams in Europe ban their own supporters for bringing in flares?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here