Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

taking flares to games

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
been to games before with brighton,and have seen them,but throwing them into the crowd:angry:,swindon v orient

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
very dangerous, especially the ones with 18 inch bottoms!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We had one at Peterborough few years back and it looked class.

Unfortunately the bloke who had it got nicked

Miserable bastards, they should be encouraged

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry to be a killjoy to all you teenagers but anyone with a flare should get a ban for life. Complete and utter dicks.

Perhaps you are all to young to remember the Bradford fire, tv pictures of fans running onto the pitch engulfed in flames. Still, suppose it's worth it if it creates a better atmosphere.

There were very few at the Goldstone and can't recall any at Withdean.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
it wasnt that wooden, and it got the atmosphere rocking. It looked f***ing brilliant best part of the day, the game was awful.

Is this a different away stand from the one I was in only last month?
Wooden stand + wooden seats = Wooden!!!

D

Deleted member 2719

We had one at Peterborough few years back and it looked class.

Unfortunately the bloke who had it got nicked

Miserable bastards, they should be encouraged

I remember that i was just behind him and must confessed to a little crowd surge just when the police went in to spoil it.:whistle:

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Bradford was caused by a build up of rubbish under the stand and a lit cigarette nothing to do with flares. Some of the seats are wooden at orient but the stand is concrete.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sorry to be a killjoy to all you teenagers but anyone with a flare should get a ban for life. Complete and utter dicks.

Perhaps you are all to young to remember the Bradford fire, tv pictures of fans running onto the pitch engulfed in flames. Still, suppose it's worth it if it creates a better atmosphere.

unbelievable.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

:facepalm:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
One was lobbed on the pitch at Gresley yesterday by all accounts and 5 hawkers were hurt in the crush trying to roast a pidgeon on it. ..boom tish, hello eddie :bigwave:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Wasn't someone burnt to death by a flare at Villa about 50 years ago?

They look amazing at games but I don't like the idea of one burning into the side of my face, a thing of the past I reckon.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bradford was caused by a build up of rubbish under the stand and a lit cigarette nothing to do with flares. Some of the seats are wooden at orient but the stand is concrete.

unbelievable.

I am well aware of what caused the fire at Bradford but, you dimwits, does it not occur to you about the inherent dangers of some dumbfuck lobbing a flare either into a crowd or in a wooden stand. Maybe I'm being too boring. What about allowing firearms into games so they can be safely fired into the air to generate atmosphere. How about fireworks that the crowd can set off when we score a goal. Gosh, how much more fun football can be!!!!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Leaving aside the insults above, I have to say although the chances of another Bradford may be smaller due to circumstances not being exactly the same.....I dunno....why take the risk? Bradford is about the second worst thing I've seen football wise, and no matter how small the margin of error I'd hate to see again. Yeah, I know, boring bastard, ignore, I'm not stating we should suck the atmosphere from matches, just my 2000000th of a penny woth :)

My experience of pyrotechnics, in the context of Sussex bonfire activities, tells me that there are circumstances in which flares can safely be used in public places with no ill effects.

A football crowd is entirely different. People are packed too closely together.

Flares, and the use of them on the terraces is a massive issue over here.

becuase of the large southern european infuence of terrace culture in Australia, many individuals see no problem with waving a 1000c stick around above their heads.

It is illegal to carry them here unless you are in a boat. $2500 fine if you are found in possesion of a lit or unlit flare.

They do add a bit of colour and vibrancy to the occasion and usually only get lit during goal celebrations. However, they are v dangerous and home clubs are finded $5000 for each one that is lit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here