Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking Corners

In all the years watching the Albion I have never felt less excited than I do now when we win a corner. In the past there was always the anticipation that a player would get on the end of the corner and score or create a chance for a team mate. We are now so poor at corners that it feels no better than a free kick from the half way line. It makes me wonder what work, if any, is done in training to make better use of these opportunities - there appears to be very little inventiveness. Other Championship sides appear to be much better - are there any stats which prove or dis-prove this ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Short memories since Withdean then !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Without going over old ground we have always , for as long as I have been supporting The Albion,had either a striker or central defender who could get on the end of a corner to win a header but at the moment we don't have either other than possibly El Abd who doesn't get on to that many. I would say generally our corner kicks have improved with ORLANDI taking them we just need to utilise them more and attack the ball a lot more.

Last edited:

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
In all the years watching the Albion I have never felt less excited than I do now when we win a corner. In the past there was always the anticipation that a player would get on the end of the corner and score or create a chance for a team mate. We are now so poor at corners that it feels no better than a free kick from the half way line. It makes me wonder what work, if any, is done in training to make better use of these opportunities - there appears to be very little inventiveness. Other Championship sides appear to be much better - are there any stats which prove or dis-prove this ?

I completely disagree. I think we have worked really extensively on a variety of different corners. Sometimes there a two or three passes before the ball goes into the 6 yard box. Remember Hammond's header against Bristol City... a perfect example of a great new style corner. When the defense lines up for the traditional corner, they all know who to mark or which zone. By moving it around, the angles change and there's more opportunity to catch them out. However, maybe statistics will prove my theory is shite but I really look forward to seeing what they come up with next.... so there!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It's really not hard if you practice to put a high % in as very dangerous deliveries. Astounds me at every level of pro game how poor set pieces are delivered tbh

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In all the years watching the Albion I have never felt less excited than I do now when we win a penalty.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Paul Watson taking corners with Zamora and Cullip attacking the ball. That was special.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
It's really not hard if you practice to put a high % in as very dangerous deliveries. Astounds me at every level of pro game how poor set pieces are delivered tbh

Agree with your general sentiment about the poor delivery from corners across all levels of the game. It amazes me that any pro player can't kick a dead ball pin point to a set target.

I do think though that with set pieces in general teams are now so highly drilled defensively, and with the growing video and statistical analysis in the game it has become much harder to 'surprise' the opposition. Which I happen to think has been one of the main problems with our penalty taking this season. If your kick is slightly off its' best then 'keepers generally know which way you are going based on hours of studying the way players run up to the ball to go left, right or centre. Very similar to the way top class batsmen study a bowlers' delivery variation in cricket. Whenever a goal is conceded from a set piece in the Prem, you can bet your @rse that either the manager or the pundit will say "we/they will be disappointed to concede from a set piece"!

So I think it's easy to dismiss it as our deficiency at corners, and that we were better at Withdean. When, in fact, at this higher level the opposition has better players, and can afford to employ an array of video analysts. That considered I think we've done well to score the couple from corners that we have.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In all the years watching the Albion I have never felt less excited than I do now when we win a penalty.

In the past I took it for granted that it was going to be a goal but that is not so now. As regards corners, in his previous spell with us and when at Southampton Hammond was known to get on to headers at the far post but I cant remember him doing that for us this time around or perhaps it is because we don't hit balls for him to attack at the far post. A more worrying aspect of corner is the number of near post headers we are conceding from the oppositions corners.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
In the past I took it for granted that it was going to be a goal but that is not so now. As regards corners, in his previous spell with us and when at Southampton Hammond was known to get on to headers at the far post but I cant remember him doing that for us this time around or perhaps it is because we don't hit balls for him to attack at the far post. A more worrying aspect of corner is the number of near post headers we are conceding from the oppositions corners.

Hammond has been playing further back. I think that's the main reason. He has an excellent penalty record as well. We have the options.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I agree with this. Isn't Paul Watson at the club in an Admin capacity? Couldn't we get him to work with the squad taking set pieces training

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
It's been said on here before: may as well just give the opposition a throw-in or goal kick than have us bother taking a corner.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Indeed, as the link below highlights, on average a team scores a goal from a corner once every 10 games. Massively overrated.

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/05/why-goal-value-of-corners-is-almost.html
Quite. If we look fairly clueless at corners, I'd like to think that's because Gus knows they are of little value and concentrates on other aspects of the game. Consequently, I'd actually like to see an optional alternative to a corner - so the attacking team can either take a corner, or a set piece direct "free kick" from the sideline in line with the 18 yard area.

Mind you, penalties ARE of great value. PLEASE Gus, can you decide on 2 or 3 penalty takers and have them actually PRACTICE without the wanky shuffle that Barnes does? Just practice putting your foot through the ball and keeping it on target FFS.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
our short corner routines are pretty good and I would rather those and their variety than just slinging over aimless high crosses with no chance of anyone being on the end of them. We will miss Orlandi, and now Bruno, though as they are the core of our inventiveness.

Penalties are entirely another thing. Right now I just hope we don't get one :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here