Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taken my boy for his first football training session

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
11 in my sons group (under 9s) this morning,8 Albion,1 spurs,1 Chelsea , 1 England.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
If you live anywhere near Seaford Premier mini soccer school run coaching all through summer (Newlands school 10PM Saturdays). It's run by a guy called Gary Mckenzie who is brilliant with the little ones.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There's some kind of major unadvertised thing going on in Preston Park today. I'd say a fair percentage of the little kids running around in a sporting stylee have Albion tops on.

Yeah, Take Part. It was advertised heavily (a handful of posters), but seemingly, only in Preston Park :dunce: Would have been good of the council to really push it, but...

Lots of Brighton shirts, but far too many Chelsea shirts for my liking.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, Take Part. It was advertised heavily (a handful of posters), but seemingly, only in Preston Park :dunce: Would have been good of the council to really push it, but...

It was advertised pretty heavily. We went and we live in Coldean (and there were several other people from the estate there too). As others said, lots of Brighton shirts and pretty good Albion presence too - lots of people from AITC. My boy was delighted to win a Gus Award, even if the only material reward was entry to a raffle.

Oh, and Gully came last in the mascots' race - poor show.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It was advertised pretty heavily. We went and we live in Coldean (and there were several other people from the estate there too). As others said, lots of Brighton shirts and pretty good Albion presence too - lots of people from AITC. My boy was delighted to win a Gus Award, even if the only material reward was entry to a raffle.

Oh, and Gully came last in the mascots' race - poor show.

Was it? Where? I knew it was happening as I work in the park, and seemingly the only council employee (other than the sports gang and litter pickers) on duty. I didn't see it advertised anywhere else. I would have thought that it would be very easy and cheap to make a song and dance about it. Certainly not the sort of coverage that Pride or other such events get.

They should certainly push sport every weekend in the park with different sports on offer. Quite often dead, even when the weather is pleasant. The main bug bear of mine is that the council spend £1,000s on upkeep of the bowiling greens, but they didn't think to have demonstrations/matches/trials for lawn bowls.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
My son goes to goalkeeper training at quite a few different places in the home counties. When he wears an Albion shirt, it's usually a conversation starter when I'm talking to the other parents, but a rarity to see anyone else supporting Brighton.

The only time I have ever seen another child in an Albion shirt was a couple of weeks back, at goalkeeper training at Chelsea's place in Cobham.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was it? Where? .

There were flyers in our local library and I think they were at leisure centres too.

There was also a massive double page spread in the Argus.

It's been on the calendar in our kitchen for some weeks so it was advertised early too.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Was it? Where? I knew it was happening as I work in the park, and seemingly the only council employee (other than the sports gang and litter pickers) on duty. I didn't see it advertised anywhere else. I would have thought that it would be very easy and cheap to make a song and dance about it. Certainly not the sort of coverage that Pride or other such events get.

They should certainly push sport every weekend in the park with different sports on offer. Quite often dead, even when the weather is pleasant. The main bug bear of mine is that the council spend £1,000s on upkeep of the bowiling greens, but they didn't think to have demonstrations/matches/trials for lawn bowls.

It's been heavily pushed in all the local schools too.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
33.3% of the kids were wearing Albion shirts at IFA indoor training at the Pearl Abu Dhabi last weekend.

2 Albion :albion2:
1 Arsenal (fake)
1 Chelsea
1 Al Jazeera
1 England

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
All the boys in my team bar 3 - 4 out of 21 come to training in the blue and white/black and green stripes... 1 Wolves, 2 Manc city and 1 Untd.....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The thing is these kids will follow the team their parents support, hopefully they will soon realise the error of their ways.

Nothing wrong with that at all, it's a far better reason than 'because they're good'. If I lived up North I wouldn't want my kid supporting the local team, if I had one. A kid, that is.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
My son was sporting his green and black away kit at football training this morning. He was the only one in a Brighton shirt.

It was in Abergavenny though.

The lovely Abergavenny. Many a football match played around there when I played for Pontypool Town. My boy was also born at Neville Hall, which unfortunately qualifies him for Welsh rugby shirt. His welsh mother has said that now he has the Albion colours she has carte blanche to get a red rugby jersey for him.

Small price to pay, and need something to wash the car with.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The lovely Abergavenny. Many a football match played around there when I played for Pontypool Town. My boy was also born at Neville Hall, which unfortunately qualifies him for Welsh rugby shirt. His welsh mother has said that now he has the Albion colours she has carte blanche to get a red rugby jersey for him.

Small price to pay, and need something to wash the car with.
Same as my son.........I console myself with the thought that he could play for Wales if he's not good enough for England.

:wink:

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

Lived in Bedfordshire for 8 years now - was all Arsenal shirts on the kids then - now there are a horde of tiny Chelsea fans. Shame, as I can't stand them and their 'oh yeah, I've always supported Chelsea' fans..

Shirt of choice now unfortunately for glory hunters near London...

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Southampton?!?! where are you? Most places in Sussex that I have seen nowadays seem to be majority Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here