Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Take it on the chin and move on

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
to be fair i thought they looked pretty good and murray had a decent game, they had the passion for the big game sadly we did not. we were gutless at times and bullied off the ball far to easily. painter is having a rare old struggle at the moment his confidence looks shot to bits. and again the subs made at the time appeared to make things worse,i am baffled how we can play so well for 20 minutes then shut down and roll over, however yes we should all take it on the chin and move on but having said that i hope the lads are feeling shit tonight because apart from one or two they they did not do themselves justice

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm rapidly calming down. I guess nothing can be worse than the 5-0, and there's so much to be positive about generally that I can take tonight as an unwanted blip. I reckon it helps being nowhere near Brighton or any palace fans, too.

Last edited:

Leicester Seagull

Oct 24, 2009
At the start of the season I would imagine that the majority of us would have been considering a finish between mid-table and playoffs. Our stratospheric start to the season raised expectations, which is making this barren spell unpleasant (granted, I need a new word to define just how unpleasant tonight was). It looks as though we are now being found out a little. So? Nobody said it would be easy and I have every confidence in Gus to build a cohesive team as time goes on. Steady as she goes, folks. Plenty more ups and downs before the season is out.

Very true. Feels like our bubble has been burst a bit, but we've a quick succession of tough games.

We need to keep our heads up, get back to basics (for the full 90 minutes!) and win a bloody game again!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I for one was happy with the money we were getting from the tv games. Looks like its cost our consistency. Also Glen Murray fair play, didn't celebrate just did his job well.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Ok, I'm gonna be controversial right now................is our style of football to blame, or rather do we have the players to make this style of play work. In league 1 it worked, but this the Champ. Teams have worked us out and press press press and force us backwards or into mistakes. They also have the fitness to keep this up for 90 mins (ass opposed to L1 teams who ran out of steam after 60 mins).

Its fine passing it around, but you also need to mix the game up. Pass and move, but also dare I say it route 1 stuff with a target man. Make the opposition wary of committing too many men to press us, cos they need to be aware of a target man. That target man could have been and should have been Murray. He was class and we all know it deep down.

I'm sick to my stomach at the moment and these may all be rash statements. But I just cant help thinking we need to vary our style of play. I think the spine of the side is very soft. From Ankergren, centre halfs, central midfield, target man, its important that spine is strong. You can have all the flair players in the world, but your spine needs to be strong. I think we all agree that Ankergran flaps and cant command his box. Greer maybe a footballing centre half, but along side you need a nasty bit of work that dominates the opposing forwards. In midfield, we are crying out again that someone who does the unglamourous part of football. The closing down, the snarling, putting your boot in. Similarly up front, a target man. Murray is one of the best in doing that - someone who can play that role and score goals. He was worth his contract and more.............and we know it. Probably Gus's biggest mistake.

I hate Palace, but maybe we can learn from this. If not then we will face many more defeats like this.

This period will test Gus managerial mettle.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Rubbish. Murray wasn't great at all, in fact they are a very ordinary side, we made them look much better than they are.

100 pet cent agree. Wasn't overly impressed by palarse atall, And this isnt sour grapes, but we made them look good.

Sep 27, 2011
We seem to stuggle when playing towards the south stand, seems like the crowd struggle too... Good first half tonight + second half v leeds & l'pool.

Anyone fancy building a tier above the away fans?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok, I'm gonna be controversial right now................is our style of football to blame, or rather do we have the players to make this style of play work. In league 1 it worked, but this the Champ. Teams have worked us out and press press press and force us backwards or into mistakes. They also have the fitness to keep this up for 90 mins (ass opposed to L1 teams who ran out of steam after 60 mins).

Its fine passing it around, but you also need to mix the game up. Pass and move, but also dare I say it route 1 stuff with a target man. Make the opposition wary of committing too many men to press us, cos they need to be aware of a target man. That target man could have been and should have been Murray. He was class and we all know it deep down.

I'm sick to my stomach at the moment and these may all be rash statements. But I just cant help thinking we need to vary our style of play. I think the spine of the side is very soft. From Ankergren, centre halfs, central midfield, target man, its important that spine is strong. You can have all the flair players in the world, but your spine needs to be strong. I think we all agree that Ankergran flaps and cant command his box. Greer maybe a footballing centre half, but along side you need a nasty bit of work that dominates the opposing forwards. In midfield, we are crying out again that someone who does the unglamourous part of football. The closing down, the snarling, putting your boot in. Similarly up front, a target man. Murray is one of the best in doing that - someone who can play that role and score goals. He was worth his contract and more.............and we know it. Probably Gus's biggest mistake.

I hate Palace, but maybe we can learn from this. If not then we will face many more defeats like this.

This period will test Gus managerial mettle.

I tend to agree and think it may be that we have too many skilful but lightweight players. I have thought that since the Leicester game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here