Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tabloid headlines - best ever/never

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
so what has been the best tabloid headline you've ever read. You have to go a long way to beat the famous

'supercallygoballisticcelticareatrocious'

one of a few years back but does it have any rivals (sporting or otherwise).

Also what is the glaring opportunity that you feel was missed by the tabloids. Personally i was amazed that following Jason Queallys gold medal in the cycling at the olympics we did not see the headline

'Queally wheely good'

So what are your best ever/never tabloid headlines?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The Sun had a good one last week, after the nuclear test.

"What to do about a problem called Korea?" ...or something like that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
jaz said:
'supercallygoballisticcelticareatrocious'

is the best ever you can not beat that
I've said this before. I used to work with a football hack who saw the headline, rolled his eyes to the ceiling and said 'that's an old one'. He was gob-smacked when the headline writer won some kind of annual award for it. The same thing had been done in the mid-1970s, when Liverpool beat QPR, and Ian Callagham ran amok.

'Super Cally Goes Ballistic QPR Atrocious'

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Bry Nylon said:
The Sun had a good one last week, after the nuclear test.

"What to do about a problem called Korea?" ...or something like that.

With a picture of the Kim Jong Ill puppet from team America. Quailty front page I thought :clap:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
My two favourites EVER were:

1) In the Guardian, above a story about a funding crisis in the publiclibraries of Essex. The headline was BOOK LACK IN ONGAR

2) In Viz, above a story about a Freddie Mercury impersonator suspected of killing a TV newsreader: SCARAMOUCHE SCARAMOUCHE DID HE KILL THE JILL DANDO?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I always liked the one associated with Formula 1 driver Pedro Diniz a few years back. His car caught fire during the race which spawned the headline of 'Diniz in the Oven'

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Think it was in the Star a few years ago- extract from Prince Andrew's book about the Falklands, and something about the penguins being attracted to the helicopter he flew- headline was 'Andrew- Why the Birds love my chopper'.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
"Down and out" - split Sun front cover when Tyson had been beaten and Mandela released. Not funny - just great.

Also, "Bloody hell", Sun Sport when Mike Gatting got his nose broken (in the 80s, I think).

The language was quite shocking at the time - which is why they did it, obviously.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I liked the REAL Sun headline, when a policeman who had a sex change was retained by the police force and given a desk job.

NO NOBBY BOBBY KEEPS JOBBY

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

2) In Viz, above a story about a Freddie Mercury impersonator suspected of killing a TV newsreader: SCARAMOUCHE SCARAMOUCHE DID HE KILL THE JILL DANDO?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The best headline EVER was in Variety (and possibly apocryphal), when pre-release screenings of western star Tom Mix's latest films in rural America showed them to be so bad that the pictures weren't released. The story ran under "HIX NIX MIX PIX"...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
My favourite was also in the Sun,I think:

UP YOURS DELORS,

but how about the Argus with its famous

SHELL FOUND ON BEACH.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Not really a Tabloid headline, but I heard this weekend that Simon Jordan wrote an article in Saturdays Palace programme headlined:

"The Futures Bright - The Chairmans Orange"

At least he can laugh at himself.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Think it was

'How do you solve a problem like Korea?', but that actually was a very good front page.

Not really a tabloid, but i enjoyed 'Maradona for the Albion'!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
How about Private Eye during the Falklands war;

"KILL AN ARGI,
WIN A METRO!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here