Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Table tennis

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Any ping pongers out there on NSC ? I'm retired and my spare time is structured around table tennis. It's fantastically beneficial physically, mentally and socially. I've found it to be incredibly therapeutic. I'd go as far as to say that it's been life changing for me. I hope I'm not the only one on NSC who's life has been enhanced by the fantastic sport.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Any ping pongers out there on NSC ? I'm retired and my spare time is structured around table tennis. It's fantastically beneficial physically, mentally and socially. I've found it to be incredibly therapeutic. I'd go as far as to say that it's been life changing for me. I hope I'm not the only one on NSC who's life has been enhanced by the fantastic sport.
Where do you play? Club? Worthing or Brighton League?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes, I have played regularly the past 10 years. Had table at home when back in Sussex, played at work a couple of times. Now a couple of times a week in a club and with a mate, great fun and a laugh!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I play a couple of times a month with a mate when the weather isn't good enough for tennis which we play otherwise (love the artificial clay courts in Hove).

Portslade leisure centre set up a table in a squash court if you ask them, King Alfred have a few tables too. I'm not very good but it's good fun. Went to a club night a while ago where I got thoroughly beaten but was told all my bad habits make me hard to play against because it's unpredictable - a fantastically backhanded compliment! (No pun intended.)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Working for a multi national ten years ago or so, as part of our employee benefits we were allowed to claim a proportion of our salary as an allowance against a keep fit activity.

Under the listed approved sports categories they listed pole dancing (classes) but much to colleague (keen table tennis player and son was playing at national level) table tennis was not listed!
A 3 month complaint cycle occurred and they finally agreed it was an approved sport. They initially tried to defend the stance even after he pointed out it was an international and Olympic recognised professional sport with a federation

Ridiculous from “People operations”

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
My Dad was pretty good at TT, played Chester Barnes (England no.1) a couple times.
I played against Chester Barnes as a kid. It wasn't that I was child prodigy at table tennis - he used to go around the Pontins Holiday camps doing exhibition stuff and teaching kids to play.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Great under rated sport. Really pleased to hear about the positive impact it’s had on your life, love hearing stories like that.

My in laws bought a table during lock down and it had a similarly positive impact on them. We play it quite a lot over there now. I’m quite handy but my boys have now been playing it since they were 4 and 6 and could barely see over the table so now 4 years on, they are really good!

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Where do you play? Club? Worthing or Brighton League?
I play at The Brighton table tennis club in Kemp Town on a Monday and Friday. The place is a complete and utter sanctuary. I'm not good enough to be in a league. I play at the King Alfred on a Wednesday Morning, and I went there yesterday, on one of my days off from table tennis. It's quite a good session. Cycling in from Shoreham enhances the level of exercise that I get.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Anyone else remember when the Bath Arms pub had a table tennis table in the back room?
I used to play a lot when I was much younger, sadly arthritis in my right shoulder, and both knees , prevent me from participating now .

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Pah - I have played Chester Barnes at Table Tennis.

Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park Isle of Wight circa 1973. This was the peak of my ping pong career and clearly miles from the standard your dad was playing at.
Apparently Dad played him when he was 21, Chester told him he wished he played him a couple of years earlier as he would have liked to have coached him, but Dad was too old.

Of course, it could all be baloney. 🙂

bhadiv1

Apr 28, 2009
Saltdean
I am 62 (used to be play in the Brighton league 30+ years ago, and was in div 3 when there were 11 divisions). So not great but an OK player.
If you want to play to a high level, then as mentioned previously Brighton TT club in kemptown is the place to go on a Monday or Friday.

If you are interested in a more social game, My wife son and I play at Peacehaven leisure centre on a wednesday morning from 9am to midday, in the squash courts there are 5 tables (and usually circa 20-25 regular players, nearly all are retired). Ratio is about 2:1 in favour of men.
Cost is £2.45 for the 3 hrs including a cuppa/biscuits. It is mainly doubles and most players are of a reasonable standard. (I would say at least 8 could still play to a league standard). All are welcome

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I am 62 (used to be play in the Brighton league 30+ years ago, and was in div 3 when there were 11 divisions). So not great but an OK player.
If you want to play to a high level, then as mentioned previously Brighton TT club in kemptown is the place to go on a Monday or Friday.

If you are interested in a more social game, My wife son and I play at Peacehaven leisure centre on a wednesday morning from 9am to midday, in the squash courts there are 5 tables (and usually circa 20-25 regular players, nearly all are retired). Ratio is about 2:1 in favour of men.
Cost is £2.45 for the 3 hrs including a cuppa/biscuits. It is mainly doubles and most players are of a reasonable standard. (I would say at least 8 could still play to a league standard). All are welcome
Sounds great ! Let's get everyone on NSC playing on a regular basis. I can state quite categorically from personal experience that it really can be life changing.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Played a lot of league table tennis in my youth and briefly returned to it in my mid 30's. Mainly played in Eastbourne League Div 2 and actually won the under 18 junior boys Eastbourne tournament doubles but lost in the singles final to my doubles partner.

For such a great sport it appears to be in decline in my town. When I used to play in the Eastbourne league it had 8 divisions and now it only has two. It's now a very technical game around the different bat sponges on which you can spend a lot of money. I'm old enough to remember when you could have the same coloured rubber on each side of the bat. However, John Hilton's amazing victory at the Euro Singles in 1980 forced a rule change to allow people to have a better chance of working out the spin.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Used to play a huge amount when younger. We had a table at our 'Boys Club' in Portslade where we'd play runaroud - ie: about 15 of us having to run round the table to take the next shot. Played for years every lunchtime at work as they had a table in the attic. It was a little constricting, and we used to lose the ball a lot behind all the pipework and stuff up there.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Table at work we wheel out at lunchtime, about 12 folk on the list so usually manage 3-4 games of doubles/singles a week. Quite competitive as we are all as bad at it as each other...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here