Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Syria out the olympics

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
They're not going to ban all of Syria coming to the games. Just those with dodgy human rights records. i.e. the head of the Syrian Olympic Committee is also a general in the army.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
According to the deputy PM yesterday - unless things have changed in the meantime - they do not intend to stop any Syrians from coming at all - UNLESS (and apparently we have just changed the law to support this), an individual can be proved to be responsible for abusing human rights, then that individual can be stopped from coming, but we are not about to ban a whole country.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
working on that theory, let's ban Russia and China who are Syria's biggest supporters at the UN, then let's ban all the Eastern bloc countries who didn't vote for us at Eurovision.....

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
This all smacks of the Moscow and Los Angeles boycotts, and did either of them seriously have any effect. Just how long did it take the boycott of South Africa to get rid of apartheid?

If the politicians want to get heavy with the Syrians then sport isn't a particularly effective weapon, economic sanctions, sequestrating assets and blockading imports would be better. This has to be done at UN, not UK border control, level.

I'm sure President Assad is quaking in his boots (not).

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
This all smacks of the Moscow and Los Angeles boycotts, and did either of them seriously have any effect. Just how long did it take the boycott of South Africa to get rid of apartheid?

If the politicians want to get heavy with the Syrians then sport isn't a particularly effective weapon, economic sanctions, sequestrating assets and blockading imports would be better. This has to be done at UN, not UK border control, level.

I'm sure President Assad is quaking in his boots (not).

This isn't anywhere near a boycott. It's saying that if you are complicit (and by complicit I mean directly linked, not just a citizen of Syria) in war crimes then don't expect to be let into the UK to have a jolly good time in the UK watching the Olympics.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
This isn't anywhere near a boycott. It's saying that if you are complicit (and by complicit I mean directly linked, not just a citizen of Syria) in war crimes then don't expect to be let into the UK to have a jolly good time in the UK watching the Olympics.

And just how are we supposed to know if they are complicit? Even if they are (and there's no-one in Syria collecting evidence to establish this at the moment) they'd probably have diplomatic immunity and there's nothing the UK Govt. could do about that.

This is just posturing for the sake of it, without actually doing anything thats's going to be really effective.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
And just how are we supposed to know if they are complicit? Even if they are (and there's no-one in Syria collecting evidence to establish this at the moment) they'd probably have diplomatic immunity and there's nothing the UK Govt. could do about that.

This is just posturing for the sake of it, without actually doing anything thats's going to be really effective.

Just because someone has diplomatic immunity doesn't mean that you have to let them into your country. Who knows how they'll decide, but as they Syrians have to let us know who they intend to send in advance they'll be able to investigate.

I'd love the UK to be doing more to help in Syria but short of another Iraq style war what can we do without Russian approval. This might be small, but preventing some of Assad's cronies from coming here to quaff champagne while watching the Olympics is a step worth taking IMHO.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here