Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sympathy required for Bill Archer

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
From today's FT:

Debt-laden Focus put up for sale in troubled DIY market

Focus DIY has put itself up for sale, as the home improvement group struggles to escape burdensome debt. The retailer, chaired by founder Bill Archer and owned by its management and private equity groups Apax Partners and Duke Street, has hired Rothschild to advise it in discussions with creditors and shareholders.

Its £280m of debt is seen as unviable given the troubled state of the do-it-yourself market.

Blah blah blah

[Archer owns 11.5% of Focus]

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think the tragedy is that Archer has made shit loads of personal wealth from selling off most of Focus already and will have no personal liabilty with its current problems.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Albion Dan said:
I think the tragedy is that Archer has made shit loads of personal wealth from selling off most of Focus already and will have no personal liabilty with its current problems.

Quite. Probably forsaw this trend and was unable to shift his last 11.5%. :angry:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
haha

hahahk2.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Shall we have a whip round for him ???

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What about NSC sending him a cheque £ 56.25 with sympathies for his present financial woes

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Uncle Spielberg said:
What about NSC sending him a cheque � 56.25 with sympathies for his present financial woes

cant we send him 56 pounds of shit???

id have a curry tonight :D

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He has my full sympathies!

RIP

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sadly, I think Albion Dan has it right. The toerag is fantastically wealthy whatever. It's probably to him just a case of how many million less his 11.5 per cent stake is worth. Can't quite find it in me to laugh about this. Now, if he was made instantly destitute or imprisoned, that would be different...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I wish him no ill on a personal level

Yes, the circumstances of the sale of the Goldstone were very disappointing for Albion fans but Archer did nothing illegal and was only looking after the financial security of his own family

It's typical of the culture of envy that crops up whenever the wealth of successful people is discussed

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Moshe Gariani said:
I wish him no ill on a personal level

Yes, the circumstances of the sale of the Goldstone were very disappointing for Albion fans but Archer did nothing illegal and was only looking after the financial security of his own family

It's typical of the culture of envy that crops up whenever the wealth of successful people is discussed

I find those views almost unbelievable in this context. How much more can you safeguard you family's future after the first £10/20/30 million? That's not envy on our part, it's sheer greed and as it happens at our expense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here