Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Symantec Internet Security RANT ALERT

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
What a load of bollocks. My Norton Antivirus 2005 expired in March for my laptop. I tried to renew it now, but I simply cannot do it.

The website crashes everytime I enter my credit card details, either telling me that my 'shopping basket' is empty (even though it's full), that the selected upgrade is not available in my region, or that my cc is not valid.

Each time I've retried, it's mysteriously come up with a different price, ranging from 39 Euros to 79 Euros. I called the UK call centre, pressed 1 for customer service, phone goes dead. Tried again, same response.

Call technical support in India and get bloke who can't a) hear properly, b) can't understand the problem.

Finally puts me through to another bloke in India who offers me cheaper deal, but says their downloading computers are tired and can I call back in three hours. He gives me a USA number, and says there's no UK call centre :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

What the f*** is wrong with this company? For all I know, I've paid three times for nothing, or worse, have given my cc details over to hackers.

Useless bunch of wankers. And my laptop's still not secured for viruses.

*rant over, sorry*

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Can it. Its f***ing NORTON, its about as useful as a perforated condom. Call the CC company, cancel all the payments, and uninstall the sodding thing. There are far better free alternatives out there.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
AVG is alright, for starters its FREE and it does'nt conflict with any games like Nortonshite used too (EverquestII & rFactor to name just two).

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I use avast! Seems ok as far as I'm concerned but I stand to be corrected by a techie.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I changed to AVG yesterday. It seems very good.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I used to use AVG a while ago. It was good but you had to initiate the virus scan yourself.
avast! runs in the background monitoring your drives, email etc.
AVG may be vey different to when I last used it though.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Rangdo said:
I used to use AVG a while ago. It was good but you had to initiate the virus scan yourself.
avast! runs in the background monitoring your drives, email etc.
AVG may be vey different to when I last used it though.

I use AVG and it can be set to scan at a set time. Mine scans at 2am each day. It also scans emails and atachments, and can also be run on demand if you get that sinking feeling after your other half as been looking at her best friends website.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Thanks for all the comments chaps, much appreciated. Am calmer now - this afternoon's antics were the last thing I needed in hot, sticky weather!

Have just downloaded AVG and laptop is now uptodate :thumbsup:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
AVG

you won't go wrong.
best free software available on the net

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
never heard of them ???

just checked out audacity, have other programs for those uses.

you got a link for Paint.net ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we had it and it f***ed up so many things ( paypel for a start) Mrs Zef uninstalled it

apart from getting spam emails via my website it seems to be fine without

I'm giving Avast a go now, thanks for the suggestion.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Am sure I am being stupid but when I click through on the AVG link all the products seem to cost cold hard cash - how do you get the freebie version?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here