Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swine flu

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Until many babies are born without problems can any "expert" really be 100% sure.

Nope, there are few 100% guarantees in life only death and taxes.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
That is just completely selfish and irresponsible. If you are that worried this, then the wrapping in cotton wool is the best option. That is what we did in July. The infection rate is decreasing though isn't it?

yeah I thought so too, He said he was only contagious for the 1st 24hrs but I'm sure I heard that you shouldnt be in contact with people for 7days if you contract it.

D

Deleted User X18H

yeah I thought so too, He said he was only contagious for the 1st 24hrs but I'm sure I heard that you shouldnt be in contact with people for 7days if you contract it.

You isolate yourself for 7 days. However if he got it at the weekend and was back in yesterday it might not have been Swine Flu. After the illness you a very weak for a couple of days, so people who have had it have said

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
My missus is 30 weeks pregnant and a doctor on a neonatal intensive care unit. She hasn't had the jab - her non pregnant colleagues have all had it (for some reason it generally makes your arm swell up for a day or two). The virus is more risky to young people as it appears to feed off a strong response from the immune system - something older people dont do. I would say (and she says) that if you have any other underlying issue, weak heart, high blood pressure, propensity to get nasty chest infections - then yes get the jab - otherwise its a personal choice (which it really is anyway). Oh - and avoid tamiflu - its horrid stuff.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
just had a quick look for some figures done on the contagious period and in one study 80% of the people still had the live strain in the nostrils after 5 days and 40% after 10.

Re my workmate he was given the tamiflu capsule but I suppose that doesnt mean he defo had swine flu

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
morning guys,

strange subject for first ever post but oh well.

My Mrs is due our first child in Feb (little boy, so cannot wait until i can take him to Falmer)

We were really unsure about the swine flu vaccincation also but after doing all the research i could and after speaking to our GP she had it 3 weeks ago along with the Flu vaccine at the same time.

The way i saw it from what was explained and what i read was that at this stage -29 weeks the baby is alot less suceptible to toxins/vaccines etc than in earlier stages (i would be alot less unsure about having her having the Vaccine if earlier in the pregnancy).

What scared me was the increased chance of complications if she did catch it. Pregnant women have been dying of this which is a fact that you cant ignore.

We had a growth scan up the sussex Tuesday just gone and the little nipper was going about his business as usual.

fingers crossed mum and baby will be perfectly ok but i understand its a horrible decision to make.

Good luck with it all

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Hello mate and welcome to the wonderfull world of NSC

I think I am about 60-40% in favour of her having the vaccine, its such a hard one tho!!! Her health rightly or wrongly is upmost in my concerns. Interesting what you said about the susceptibility as my gf is about to enter the 3rd trimester.

So your GP/Midwife convinced you about the safety of the vaccine did they?

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
imissworthing2 - yes, we spoke to the midwife who was suggesting my partner had it done and that she was basing this advice on the fact the was entering/just in the 3rd trimester. I got the idea, that the advice may differ for someone who is 10 weeks if you see what i mean.

We also know our GP very well, as he is a friend of the family and he said if had any doubts about her taking it he would say, but that in his professional opinion it is safe.

Now i completely understand the views that no one can truly know the lasting effects if any, but the fact that the standard flu jab has been given to pregnant women for years with no adverse effects, im pretty confident that we will be good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here