Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swine flu

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Help needed!!!!

Right then, problem is that my girlfriend is 5months pregnant and is unsure whether to have the swine flu vaccine!

Is anyone in a similar position, I have read all the info re safety of the vaccine and autism risks for the baby. She works in the nhs and all her colleagues are saying they wouldnt have the vaccine (also dr. hillary jones on gmtv) which I think is abit irresponsible of them.

Has anyone got any figures of death rates of swine flu in pregnant women?

Her arguement is that, she cant even take painkillers at mo so how can putting this vaccine (mercury + other chemicals)be safe!!!

I just think that if it has been approved to the highest level then surely it must be safe but then she cites some case in the past were an improved drug caused problems later in life!!!(totally forgotten the name sorry)

Any help is much appreciated!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I know of plenty of people, doctors included who wont take it.

IMO no pregant women should take anything they dont have too, Thalidomide, was thought to be safe but nobody realised until 9 mnoths later

Mrs Rum is 30 weeks - she's been offered it and turned it down.
A decision I supported.
Pregnant women are more at risk of ailments due to their surpressed immune system, but the fact there hasn't been a baby born to a mum who has had the vaccine was the main worry.
The fact is no one knows the risks to baby further down the line.
We'll take our chances with the pig-aids

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thousands of people die of flu each year. We just seem to have given a name to this particular strain of the Flu virus. It is no more dangerous than any other type of flu.

Also Flu vaccinations don't take into acount any variation on flu strains so are likely to be ineffective anyway.

There is only one thing for sure and that is that Glaxosmithkline- beecham have made billions out of "swine" flu.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Mrs Rum is 30 weeks - she's been offered it and turned it down.
A decision I supported.
Pregnant women are more at risk of ailments due to their surpressed immune system, but the fact there hasn't been a baby born to a mum who has had the vaccine was the main worry.
The fact is no one knows the risks to baby further down the line.
We'll take our chances with the pig-aids

I understand what your saying completely but reading this site does suggest the vaccine is safe!!!

Swine flu - Questions and answers

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It doesn't help you much, but I am in the High-Risk category and had the swine flu jab 3 weeks ago, and the normal one about 6 weeks ago. No problem with either - had a slightly sore arm after the swine flu one, but nothing too bad.

I didn't think twice about having it really.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I know of plenty of people, doctors included who wont take it.

IMO no pregant women should take anything they dont have too, Thalidomide, was thought to be safe but nobody realised until 9 mnoths later

Tests for mutagenicity are much more sophisticated and comprehensive than the days of Thalidomide. Lots of lessons were learnt.

It would be interesting to hear how many pregnant women and their babies have died of the Swine Flu.

D

Deleted User X18H

My wife was pregnant during all the major scare mongering in July, not nice.

All I would say is having the Swine Flu during pregnancy may present problems as the body's immune system is lowered and the in very very rare cases the body may try and reject the fetus as a foreign object as a result of this. The best thing to do is to stay away from what are considered high risk groups who are likely to infect you sadly that means young children.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Mrs LS is due a week today and when she was offered it she turned it down, a move I very much supported.

Although many people are saying that it is safe we didn't want to take the risk that in a few years it would turn out that the vaccine was actually harmful to little'un. It may well turn out that it is completely safe, we just didn't want to take the risk

D

Deleted User X18H

Another thing to do is to use an anti bacterial spray or wipe when ever you are outside the confines of your own home even when using a cash point or visiting a supermarket.

If people visit you make them anti bac their hands before coming in even the mid wife don't be embarrassed about doing it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Tests for mutagenicity are much more sophisticated and comprehensive than the days of Thalidomide. Lots of lessons were learnt.

It would be interesting to hear how many pregnant women and their babies have died of the Swine Flu.

Until many babies are born without problems can any "expert" really be 100% sure.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Another thing to do is to use an anti bacterial spray or wipe when ever you are outside the confines of your own home even when using a cash point or visiting a supermarket.

If people visit you make them anti bac their hands before coming in even the mid wife don't be embarrassed about doing it.

But it is ineffective after using it 5 times - you need to wash your hands before the 6th time you use the gel.

I haven't had the swine flu jab, but I will be having it next week (when I can build up the courage and after my graduation!). Personally I would have the jab if I were pregnant. We've had a few people with swine flu on our ward, and the majority have been fine, but without meaning to scaremonger - there have been reports of pregnant ladies becoming very very ill with it.

I understand what your saying completely but reading this site does suggest the vaccine is safe!!!

Swine flu - Questions and answers

Fair enough, but that is the nhs, government approved advice.
This has been handled badly, conflicting advice and mixed messages - heard from a mate in the NHS that less than 20% of eligible pregnant women have had the jab.
My missuses midwife said she wouldn't have had it.

And is the tamiflu vaccine actually any good?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/08/tamiflu-swine-flu-roche

It sounds like you've already made up your mind, which is fair enough.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Personally don't see how they can it is safe because it cannot possibly have been fully tested over a number of years to see any long term side effects. Having been around people who have had it and subsequently been ill I won't be accepting any offer to have it. Always going to be a number of views though

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i really think she should take the advise of her doctor, then other train clinicians and not NSC that know crap all.

i will point out that the link between Thiomersal (the mercury base preserative) and autism was shown to be bollocks and widley discredited.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It doesn't help you much, but I am in the High-Risk category and had the swine flu jab 3 weeks ago, and the normal one about 6 weeks ago. No problem with either - had a slightly sore arm after the swine flu one, but nothing too bad.

I didn't think twice about having it really.

Ditto .... [I'm not pregnant either]

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i really think she should take the advise of her doctor, then other train clinicians and not NSC that know crap all.

QUOTE]

to be fair not everyone "knows crap all"

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My wife who is 21 weeks preggers absolutely refuses to consider the jab and Im not going to argue with her while the jury seems to still be out on this issue.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
My wife who is 21 weeks preggers absolutely refuses to consider the jab and Im not going to argue with her while the jury seems to still be out on this issue.

So we aint in to dissimilar of situations, honestly I havent made up my mind!!

Her midwife seems completely useless really, her last response to us was "yeah,its a hard one"

At the moment it just feels like we're buring are head in the sand hoping nothing will happen!!

She is training to be a psychologist and works with children with autism and their parents, so hears all the horror stories about a lack of a bond between them.

She's due in april so it might be a case of wrapping her in cotton wool so to speak till then and maybe take early mat leave.

Does anyone know how long someone is contagious for once they have got swine flu, as someone at my work got it at the weekend and was back in work yesterday!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Does anyone know how long someone is contagious for once they have got swine flu, as someone at my work got it at the weekend and was back in work yesterday!!

That is just completely selfish and irresponsible. If you are that worried this, then the wrapping in cotton wool is the best option. That is what we did in July. The infection rate is decreasing though isn't it?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here