Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swine flu

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I rekon you mean 1st cousin once removed. Or is it really one of your parents cousin's children which is actually a second cousin?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
At least the medical companies will do well out of it.

I friend of mine runs HealthCare connections, they purchased millions of phials of tamiflu as they knew the Government wouldn't be able to cope with a pandemic. The company nearly went bankrupt waiting for a Bird Flu outbreak, and have literally been saved at the last minute by this Swine Flu pandemic.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
If you suspect you have it, dont go the Drs. They wont want to see you as you will spread it within surgery. Ring the Drs. You will be assessed over the phone. If your condition suggests Swine Flu then you will be told how to obtain Tamiflu (btw this only works within 2 hrs of first symptoms)

Then its a case of being sensible i.e taking planty of fluids and paracetomol. If your condition gets worse then ring Drs again.

Look out for those who live on their own. I had a friend in his 40's who died alone with regular flu. he had no pre existing conditions (although smoked like a chimney). So look out for those.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I believe I have it at the moment, off work today but feeling a lot better than yesterday. Probably take another day off tommorow (I work at sea and it gonna be fookin windy so its a good excuse!), then go back on Thursday. I've had colds that have been worse to be honest.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Two cases in our Beeston office

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The GP did not die of swine flu - there is too much information flying around too fast nowadays, with massive conclusions being jumped to.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I am pretty sure some strains of Swine Flu are already resistant to Tamiflu, but over here it seems people have just accepted it is only a matter of time until everyone is infected. The amount of cases are doubling and it is summer. The next flu season could be pretty big test for humans.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Loads of cases in Worthing now. Someone at work has it, and someones daughter is suspected.

I think it won't be long before most of us will have had someone in the family who has had it.

NHS could well go into meltdown, so get as many drugs as you can now!!! oh and run for the hills.

I have it at the moment I am in Worthing.
feel to crap to enjoy being off work.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Just found out my ex girlfriend got sent home from work today with suspected swine flu - always thought she was a bit of a pig anyway

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I just spoke to my missus on skype (I'm in Asia), she's been diagnosed with swine flu, and has to stay quarantined in our flat in Hove for at least six days.

I want to go home and see her, but she's allowed no visitors, I'm gutted man

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Why is no one panicking like this about REGULAR flu, which KILLS 36,000 a year?

Much more dangerous than Swine Flu.

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Q A: The Disease

Each flu season is unique, but it is estimated that, on average, approximately 5% to 20% of U.S. residents get the flu, and more than 200,000 persons are hospitalized for flu-related complications each year. About 36,000 Americans die on average per year from the complications of flu.

The US population is 303,824,640; but lets call it 300,000,000. 5-20% of the population who get normal flu is 15-60 million a year. 36,000 die which 0.06% of 60 million.

So the death rate (in america) of normal flu is MAX 0.06%.

6 July 2009 -- WHO reports that the Cumulative Total number of confirmed cases of Novel H1N1 World Wide is 94,512 cases including 429 deaths.

Which is arround the same percentage (0.06) world wide.

So to say normal flu is "Much more dangerous than Swine Flu" is really flawed. If anything they are around the same.

People are paniking becasuse it could mutates in a few months and make the death rate at 10%. Thats 30 million in the us. 6 million in the UK.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Hope your relative gets better soon.

Last week we got sent a protocol of "the worst case scenario" - saying that we might be called up on a "voluntary basis" (as if our work isn't voluntary already!) if the workforce were affected resulting in a nursing shortage. I'm going on holiday in September - definitely not volunteering then!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
People are paniking becasuse it could mutates in a few months and make the death rate at 10%.

people are panicing because the media fuel it and cite guesstimates based on the similar (same?) flu strain of 1918-20, just after a world war with no concept of anti-virals, no vaccines and no national healthcare. i wonder how many died those years due to pneumonia, TB, smallpox etc compared and in contrast to today.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Loads of cases in Worthing now.

At least three confirmed cases at my wife's work in Worthing. Also a suspected case at my kids school. My daughter has some of the symptoms but it could be a reaction to her recent MMR jab. Either way, her temperature is now back to normal using a mixture of kids ibuprofen and paracetamol.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not very sensitive if your talking to someone who has just lost their 6yr old child.

That would be really bad luck. Probably wouldn`t happen. To be honest like.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
the gp they said died of swine flu did not he died of natural causes.And the little 6 year girl that died had heart problems.The media is over hyping this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here