Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swindon Away?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes I will probably drag myself up for this one.

I haven't been on holiday this year, so the Swindon Riviera will have to do.

What is Swindon like this time of year ? I'm looking forward to the Christmas lights.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for the tips.

Via Gatwick and Reading comes up about £2 less.

I can't get to the office until Wednesday afternoon. Having never tried it this way, is this in time to get the cheap tickets? Why isn't this option on the net!?

It was £34 when I last went to Swindon, Brighton-Gatwick-Reading. But now I know about the advance tickets, it's alot cheaper whilst they are available but it is dependent on the trains not being booked up with advance purchase tickets because you have to go on certain trains with them. So it may be a bit late, but you never know.

As for people saying the Gatwick-Reading-Swindon way is too slow, in my experience it's alot better to travel that way. You may have to change more often, but it's cheaper, you avoid the underground and it's simples. And you can leave at 10pm and still get back to Brighton in the early morning. :clap2:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was £34 when I last went to Swindon, Brighton-Gatwick-Reading. But now I know about the advance tickets, it's alot cheaper whilst they are available but it is dependent on the trains not being booked up with advance purchase tickets because you have to go on certain trains with them. So it may be a bit late, but you never know.

As for people saying the Gatwick-Reading-Swindon way is too slow, in my experience it's alot better to travel that way. You may have to change more often, but it's cheaper, you avoid the underground and it's simples. And you can leave at 10pm and still get back to Brighton in the early morning. :clap2:

Why would you possibly want to hang around in Swindon after a game.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Just going via Paddington, cannot be bothered with Gatwick to Reading as a very tedious slow train journey.

Gatwick to Reading train journey is ok. Im going from Haywards Heath to Swindon on the 0932 arrives into Swindon at 11:55 going via Gatwick and Reading. Journey time of 2 hrs and 23 minutes. It is at least 20 minutes longer via Paddington plus all the hassle of the tube. So for me it is cheaper and quicker to go this way - looking forward to it!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Exactly, the other route requires changing onto the tube so dont really see the difference, and no difference hardly between times if you pick the right trains. Is taking us just over 2 hours, hardly a long slow trek! Took nearly that to drive it last year.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
shame cant go to this one,been lively last 2 visits and normally good atmosphere:smokin:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Where shall we all drink, surely there must be a pub called the Red Parrot ?

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Ask for an off peak return via guildford, its £34. I fyou just ask for a normal return its 54 so def inately say off peak.
Takes around the 3 hour mark.

The away pub is generally the bulldog but away fans are also welcome at the merlin.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
That's strange, could you pass onto your swindon mates that the away friendly pub down here is also The Bulldog?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
For those heading down from London, you can get a return coach ticket with national express for between £15 and £20. Takes about 2 hours from Victoria.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Who's going to try and navigate the ole magic roundabout then?
Things go bad whenever i'm in Swindon but it's like 10 miles from here so it'd be rude not to go.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ask for an off peak return via guildford, its £34. I fyou just ask for a normal return its 54 so def inately say off peak.
Takes around the 3 hour mark.

The away pub is generally the bulldog but away fans are also welcome at the merlin.

Where are we not welcome?:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here