Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sven v McLaren

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
A right midfielder that drifts into the middle leaving his full-back isolated and not giving us an easy way of keeping possession?
Strange, defensive subsistutions after we've gone a goal up?
The last ten minutes spent smashing the ball a) into the oppositions half or b)off the pitch?
An inability to keep possession?
The "best players in the world" failing to live upto their billing against mediocre opposition?
Jammily avoiding conceding a goal?

It all seems a little familair.
Add to this that currently two of our best players in Hargreaves and Crouch were brought into the squad and persisted with by Sven when all the half-wit fans/tabloids/BBC disagreed with him it doesn't look desperately promising or different at the mo does it?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
keaton said:
A right midfielder that drifts into the middle leaving his full-back isolated and not giving us an easy way of keeping possession?
The last ten minutes spent smashing the ball a) into the oppositions half or b)off the pitch?
The "best players in the world" failing to live upto their billing against mediocre opposition?
Jammily avoiding conceding a goal?

Add to this that currently two of our best players in Hargreaves and Crouch were brought into the squad and persisted with by Sven when all the half-wit fans/tabloids/BBC disagreed with him it doesn't look desperately promising or different at the mo does it?
It's familiar 'cos it's England. That's how we play. And SURELY there is no one left who thinks Lampard, Gerrard and Terry are 'world class' and we only failed to win the world cup becuase we had the wrong manager?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
keaton said:

From what I have seen he is more hands on. He joins in training instead of standing still, he shouts and shows passion during the game.

That in itself makes im better imo.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Terry and Ferdinand were terrific last night, that says it all about our performace.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Who gives a shit about how we play against these minnow nations, as long as we win? In recent times, Italy have lost to minnows like Wales, and drawn at home to Lithuania last week etc. But they're World Champions. Again.

In the end, it's all about getting the mentality right when you get to the tournament. I don't want or expect us to click into top gear every time we play in the third world - as long as we bring the 3 points back.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
keaton said:

Because (unlike Sven) when things weren't going right McLaren got off his arse a shouted at the players to get their act together - he showed passion and desire, which is something that the Swede only ever showed to Weather girls and FA Secretaries (allegedly)

I didn't want McLaren but I'd choose him over Sven any and every day of the week........strange too how the Scots have alsl started to play with more passion since they dumped their foreign manager.

Sven :jester:

McLaren ???

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
We are always going to look unimpressive when the likes of Downing and Defoe are getting games. When Ashton, Rooney, Joe Cole, Gary Neville and Owen are back we'll be a much different side to the one that played last night. There is a distinct lack of fluidity whilst are 'second string' players are involved.

The most worrying thing last night was the quality of delivery from corners and wide positions. If it carries on much longer to that standard then Beckham has to come back into the side. Not one ball was whipped in with any power or meaning, they were all floated or off target. With a player like Crouch in there you need someone that can put a decent ball in and when Ashton comes in this will become more evident.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
ealrly days .
all about the 3 points , last 10 mins were a concern but MccLaren can address this. It's only his 3rd game FFS .

2 out of 2 with none conceded is a decent return from a team missing some top players.
I'm sure Italy would take this at the moment

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It will take McLaren a while to rid himself of the Sven cloak I'm afraid, and work out in his own mind how these England players can best peform together.

He is "up and at them", which is what I like, footballers need that, especially when things are going badly.

This Euro qualifying group is ideal for Steve McLaren, there are no superstar nations, but it's full of attritional teams who will test England's tactics and patience to the full.

One criticism from me, why on why doesnt Lennon start a match ? (but what the hell do I know, right!)

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting that Crouch at the weekend reconed Gerrard was the best player in the world....

...just what do they feed these people.

I watched the last 10 minutes of France vs Italy and then the highlights later on, and I would be very surprised if one of our players would get into either of the French and Italian sides.

lampard is the most dissapointing of all oyr so called "superstars"

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
My slightly impartial view.

England are better under Venables (sorry McLaren) than Sven.

The most encouragin factor is that Rio Ferdinand and John Terry no longer fear bringing the ball out of defence.

This is good news for when England are up against teams who pack men behind the ball.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
to be fair, Macedonia didnt pack the defence...in the second half they played some nice football.

Again watching the France game, I was minded to compare the way France and Italy cleared their lines to the way we did.
Lennon hoofing the ball into row Z when he could have held the ball up and waited for support.
Casaraghi ( similar position) holds off a player waits for support, gives it to the defender who then plays the ball through to Gatuso.

I know you cant compare the two players but the skill is just the same. Even Platt made the point that hoofing the ball out just means its coming back the sooner.

You cant argue with 6 points though

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
keaton said:

Indeed it does. BHAFC under Magoo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here