Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sven CARES

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
OK, I had the joys of going up to London yesterday for a meeting (how people can commute is beyond me) and on the way back there was a copy of the Sun and the Times on the train. Now your standard Sven criticisms are almost word for word with those of the Murdoch press, that was all.
Well, Sven criticisms are rather like shooting fish in a barrel.
I don't need to read any newspapers to form my opinion on him - I can see quite easily for myself, and my exhasperation with him comes from watching what he does with the team. I wouldn't give a toss about his money-grabbing, his shagging, his sneakiness, his gobbing off about players, his dull-as-dishwater press conferences etc etc, if I really thought he was getting the most out of the England players that he has at his disposal.

But considering the talent of this squad, we ARE underachieving under Sven (and no, I do not consider World Cup qualification as an "achievement" - with this team, it is a miniumum requirement and the absolute least we should expect). But we've been here a million times before and will never agree on the subject.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Well, Sven criticisms are rather like shooting fish in a barrel.
I don't need to read any newspapers to form my opinion on him - I can see quite easily for myself, and my exhasperation with him comes from watching what he does with the team. I wouldn't give a toss about his money-grabbing, his shagging, his sneakiness, his gobbing off about players, his dull-as-dishwater press conferences etc etc, if I really thought he was getting the most out of the England players that he has at his disposal.

But considering the talent of this squad, we ARE underachieving under Sven (and no, I do not consider World Cup qualification as an "achievement" - with this team, it is a miniumum requirement and the absolute least we should expect). But we've been here a million times before and will never agree on the subject.

It was interesting reading the papers yesterday, the Guardian had a very pragmatic view that Brian whats his face at the FA had done the right thing by allowing him to go and look for work and now just let him get on with the World Cup, but the Murdoch papers want to hang him out to dry and will beat him with whatever stick is available.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone seen that picture of the England bench when Hurst scores the fourth goal in 1966? Everyone jumping around except the manager. who just sat there.

Ramsey, Eriksson. Great England mangers (not that that's saying much).

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Can anyone tell me please what EXACTLY Martin Keown is doing in the background?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
It was interesting reading the papers yesterday, the Guardian had a very pragmatic view that Brian whats his face at the FA had done the right thing by allowing him to go and look for work and now just let him get on with the World Cup, but the Murdoch papers want to hang him out to dry and will beat him with whatever stick is available.
Like I said, nothing else about Sven would matter one jot if I felt the team was fulfilling its potential.

Another thing that occurred to me the other day. I'm not actually convinced his english is good enough for him to get his ideas across effectively. And before I'm accused, no, I'm not just "foreigner-bashing" here, cos I've got no problem with a foreigner being in charge of England if he's the best man for the job. But listening to Sven speaking publically, his speech is hesitant, stilted, slow and really pretty basic. He's obviously not a stupid man, and his english is far better than my swedish. But I don't think his english is of a good enough standard for him to fully articulate himself in the dressing room to get his point across in the best way.

Just a thought.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Like I said, nothing else about Sven would matter one jot if I felt the team was fulfilling its potential.

Another thing that occurred to me the other day. I'm not actually convinced his english is good enough for him to get his ideas across effectively. And before I'm accused, no, I'm not just "foreigner-bashing" here, cos I've got no problem with a foreigner being in charge of England if he's the best man for the job. But listening to Sven speaking publically, his speech is hesitant, stilted, slow and really pretty basic. He's obviously not a stupid man, and his english is far better than my swedish. But I don't think his english is of a good enough standard for him to fully articulate himself in the dressing room to get his point across in the best way.

Just a thought.

Balls.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Yep, the Murdoch press had a swipe over his English as well....
Oh, I MUST have read that somewhere then.
:rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
I guess it shows what you read comes out in what you say.

Keep going.
So is it now a crime to express an opinion on something if it happens to concur with something that has appeared at some point in a newspaper ? Specially if its a (booo, hiss) MURDOCH newspaper ? Or are all the truley enlightened people of the world such as yourself completely impervious to the media, existing on a higher plain where all your thoughts and opinions are shaped and formed within your mind, and never in any way influenced by something as vulgar and demeaning as a newspaper ?

Just because our points of view on this subject are at odds with each other, doesn't mean I'm cutting and pasting from The Sun whilst you pluck your pearls of wisdom from the heavens. You have your opinions, I have mine. I'm not casting doubt and accusations at your intelligence because I disagree with you, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult mine.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
So is it now a crime to express an opinion on something if it happens to concur with something that has appeared at some point in a newspaper ? Specially if its a (booo, hiss) MURDOCH newspaper ? Or are all the truley enlightened people of the world such as yourself completely impervious to the media, existing on a higher plain where all your thoughts and opinions are shaped and formed within your mind, and never in any way influenced by something as vulgar and demeaning as a newspaper ?

Just because our points of view on this subject are at odds with each other, doesn't mean I'm cutting and pasting from The Sun whilst you pluck your pearls of wisdom from the heavens. You have your opinions, I have mine. I'm not casting doubt and accusations at your intelligence because I disagree with you, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult mine.

I am just pointing out that your opinions are very similar to the press that you read, just as LI's are close to the Guardian.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
El Presidente said:
You said that MINE was the only fist that pumps you.

Two timing BITCH
Well if you'd just remove that chunky sovereign ring it wouldn't be a problem, but until my anus scabs over, I'm afraid its going to have to be off limits till further notice.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Easy 10 said:
Well if you'd just remove that chunky sovereign ring it wouldn't be a problem, but until my anus scabs over, I'm afraid its going to have to be off limits till further notice.

Oh well, back to the pineapple then.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
I am just pointing out that your opinions are very similar to the press that you read, just as LI's are close to the Guardian.
I read various press, not exclusively The Times. Sat here all day, there's not a lot else to do. To be honest, I couldn't even confidently tell you what political affiliation every newspaper has, as I rarely venture far from the sports pages.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Easy 10 said:
I read various press, not exclusively The Times. Sat here all day, there's not a lot else to do. To be honest, I couldn't even confidently tell you what political affiliation every newspaper has, as I rarely venture far from the sports pages.

......apart from scouring the TV pages to see if there are any repeats of Doctor Who on UKGold to see if you will get a royalty cheque this month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here